Help! My Jun is Mead!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I just attempted to make my first batch of jun kombucha. I bought a kit from Amazon. This is the SCOBY that came with it. I've successfully made regular kombucha with a similar kit. The problem I'm having, as stated in the title, is that the alcohol is not converting into acetic acid. I'm pretty sure I did everything correctly. I think maybe it is a problem with the SCOBY. The yeast seem to be doing their job, but the bacteria are not. I've tried searching for what to do, but I can't seem to find a solution. There are plenty of posts about how to increase the alcohol content, but I can't seem to find one about what to do if it's just fermenting into alcohol and not breaking down into acid. I know I could just chuck the batch, buy a new SCOBY and try again, but I'm worried this could happen again. Is there a way to salvage my current brew?

Last edited by a moderator:
I ended up dumping the jun and SCOBY. I bought a new jun SCOBY and I'm trying again. It seems to be doing better this time. I used tea and honey that I had on hand instead of what came with the kit, which was used in the first batch. I'm still not sure what went wrong. I don't know if it was the SCOBY, the honey....the amount of honey or something I did incorrectly. I'll follow up when this new batch is done and hopefully I have success this time.

Everything went as it should have this time. Beautiful SCOBY growth and it tastes great! I'd still like to know what went wrong with the first batch and SCOBY, but it's gone and my new brew is wonderful.

Back