Help me with Malt substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeeJo

Reaction score
Looking at a recipe from Clone Brews, for the Gulden Draak clone.

Looking at Ontario Beer Kegs site to order the specialty grains from, as there seems slim pickings anywhere sorta local to me (interior BC)

Going to buy whole grains, so the leftovers have a bit of a shelf life, since the qty unit is full pounds.
The Malt on the left is the listing from the recipe. Beside it, I am dropping in the available (maybe) equivalent from OBK. Would like an opinion as to the similarity, if you can.

65L German Crystal Malt ~ Caramel Malt (Crystal) 60L ?(14 oz)
Belgian Aromatic Malt ~ Aromatic - Weyermann ? (4 oz)
Belgian Cara-Munich Malt ~ CaraMunich II - Weyermann ? (3 oz req. dunno if it matters if I use lighter or darker, which are the I and III respectively)
Belgian Biscuit Malt ~ Biscuit Malt - Dingemans (2 oz)

That look about right?

First foray into beer. Well, other than a couple canned kits years ago. So, I guess really more a first foray into grains use. In at the deep end. Figure to read the recipe, follow the recipe, get on with my day. Oh, and build a grain crusher to run on my metal lathe... :)

TeeJo

Looks good. With the exception of the German crystal (I've never used it), all the others "subs" are actually the malts the recipe is calling for. As far as CaraMunich I, II, or III, stick with I or II if it's not specified in the recipe. I usually use I, but II would be fine. I guess technically, the Weyermann Aromatic is not Belgian Aromatic, but close enough. If OBK has Castle Malting Abbey malt (formerly Aromatic), that would be Belgian, but really, the Weyermann malt is close enough.

Your substituions should work fine, subbing different continental malts (i.e. German for Belgian) is going to result in pretty subtle if any noticeable differences.

A few notes on what you have:
- Dingeman's is a Belgian maltster, so that is Belgian biscuit
- Weyermann is a German matlster - Caramunich I, II , and III are German crystal malts that are in the 35L, 45L, and 60L range respectively (see here).

I would probably use Caramunich III in sub for the "German crystal 65L", and keep the Caramunich II in sub for the "Belgian caramunich".Your recipe doesn't list the L of that one but it looks like Dingeman's most commonly sold Caramunich is 45L.

:mug:

Edit: LL sort of beat me to it :)

Back