help me convert this all grain to Partial mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabull25

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could convert this all grain recipe to either a partial mash or extract recipe for a 5.5 gallon batch? I can only boil 4.5 max volume. Thanks!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: Rehydrated Dry
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: N/A
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 1070
Final Gravity: 1016
IBU: 98
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 9.6
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 16 days @ 67
Additional Fermentation: N/A
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): N/A
Tasting Notes: Aroma is like having your head in a bag of oranges. So drinkable.

14.5# American Two Row
1.3# Cara-Pils
1.3# Crystal 40
.50# Munich

Mash for 60 minutes at 152. 90 minute boil.

Hop Additions:

90 Min- .50 oz Chinook (11.5% AA)
.50 oz Simcoe (12% AA)

60 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

30 Min- .25 oz Chinook
.25 oz Simcoe

15 Min- .75 Simcoe
.75 Chinook
.50 Amarillo (11.5%)

10 Min- 1 oz. Cascade (5.8%)

O Min- .50 Chinook
.75 Simcoe

Dry Hop- 2 oz. Amarillo
1.5 oz. Cascade
.5 oz Chinook

In general, one pound of two-row equals .6 pound of DME. So, 14.5 pounds of two-row would be good with 8.7 pounds of DME. Since that's a weird amount, using either 8 or 9 pounds would be fine. 8 pound would give you an OG of 1.070ish.

There isn't any reason to do a 90 minute boil- a 60 minute boil is fine. You can do the 90 minute and 60 minute hops additions then.

You could mash the grains as given/directed, and then add the bulk of the DME at the end of the boil.

Would the hop quantities be different since I am doing a smaller batch?

Well, if you're making 5.5 gallons instead of 6 gallons, I can't really see it making much difference. You could cut down everything (including the grains) by that amount (.083%), but it sure seems like more work than it'd be worth for 1/2 gallon.

Back