Help me clear my malt inventory.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridenour64

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just upped the size of my fermenter so I have the ability to brew 10 gallon batches now. I have malt that has been sitting around for a while. I’ll make a short list of what I have below. My goal is to make a 10 gallon batch utilizing as much of this malt as I can, while making a good beer that my friends will want to drink. I also plan to use the 3 oz of chinook and 3 oz of cascade that came out of my garden. I also have a 2 oz pack of galaxy in the freezer along with 3 oz of barb rouge. Anyone want to help me build a recipe?

yeast will be Nottingham

—————

10 lbs 2 row - Viking

4 lbs 2 row - Briess

1 lb 7 oz Pilsner - Weyermann

3 lbs 7 oz Munich - Briess

2 lbs 3 Oz red wheat - Briess

1 lb marris otter

———

12 oz special B

7 oz honey malt

8 oz victory malt

You could mix and match those base malts in a nice Blonde Ale. Each of the hops you mentioned would work with that.

looks like a half ass recipe all together.

i would use everything, expect the wheat, and depending on L of the munich, maybe just 1 lb of it. i'd drink it, not sure about your friends :)

then i'd go 2lb's of the munich. 10 gallon batch should get you 1.057 OG. and it's hard to wrong with the nuttiness of special B, at least that's what it tastes like to me.

1.057 OG
1.013 FG
5.8%
SRM 10.5

Attachments

• 541C1E1A-B84E-4C80-AFAC-97FA24A76FE3.jpeg
    541C1E1A-B84E-4C80-AFAC-97FA24A76FE3.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 18
I pretty much agree with everyone up here, but I would also add the honey. You can up the initial bittering hop to counter the sweetness of the honey.
I seriously would just throw it all in the MT and go at it. Hopping is where you will make this shine. For me, that would be the hardest part to figure out. Maybe bitter with the Chinook, then flavor with the 3 oz of barb rouge and 2 oz galaxy. Maybe dry hop with a dose of the cascade and a bit of Chinook if you have it left over. .
Boom, fridge cleared out.

What would you like to brew? If you do a kitchen sinker with all the malt you have, it's a 5.5% abv brew with a pale ale appearance and a malt flavor that drinks like an amber ale. It's a respectable malt bill when you break it down:

76% Base malt mix
16% Munich 10
3.5% Special B
2.5% Victory
2% Honey Malt

I'd say just roll with it as-is and hop to your liking. If you want something that looks more the part, add 1% of any roasted malt and it will appear amber. Add a bit more (4 - 5%) and you'll have a brown.

EDIT: I forgot the red wheat in the above. If this were added you'll boost to about 6% abv.

Last edited:
I ended up using all the malt. I’ll post back with results. Nottingham is a beast. Pitched around midnight and I woke up around 6 am and it was bubbling very rapid. My only concern is that I haven’t bought an extra chest freezer yet so it was fermenting at mid 70’s for most of the fermentation. I’ve read a lot of negative feedback about Nottingham at higher temps. We’ll see. It made it up to about 75-77. Once I realized how high it got, I put a small fan on the fermenter and that brought it back down to ambient 68-69.

Attachments

• 2156C642-ABE5-40AC-8AA8-B455BB2AB4A7.jpeg
    2156C642-ABE5-40AC-8AA8-B455BB2AB4A7.jpeg
    683.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 4222066A-68EF-44C0-9D08-803CA15001F5.jpeg
    4222066A-68EF-44C0-9D08-803CA15001F5.jpeg
    633 KB · Views: 20
  • BBF025CC-7B49-4492-85F4-AB92FA525069.jpeg
    BBF025CC-7B49-4492-85F4-AB92FA525069.jpeg
    692.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 94B99CB8-9A90-458D-BB23-08AB41C6AA5B.jpeg
    94B99CB8-9A90-458D-BB23-08AB41C6AA5B.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Wow, Notty at 70+*, might be a dumper. I've heard the lore and use this yeast regularly and pitch at 55-59* and bring to 64* to finish when the krauesen falls. Good luck,never went higher so can't really say.

Wow, Notty at 70+*, might be a dumper. I've heard the lore and use this yeast regularly and pitch at 55-59* and bring to 64* to finish when the krauesen falls. Good luck,never went higher so can't really say.

that's the spirit.

Im sure if everything was clean you'll be fine. Let it age a week or two longer than normal so things mello out.
Even if there is a little tartness it'll add to the character of the beer.

I love it when people never have experienced something then weigh in to the OP and then add something like, "I've never tried it so i can't say for sure," or the like. Don't dump the beer. It'll be fine.

I’m going to let it ride at room temp for 2 weeks, then likely cold crash for another 2 weeks. I’ll be sure to update. I pitched right around 70 and it rose to high 70’s pretty quick. Then with the fan I brought it back down within a few hours. Ambient in my basement is 68 this time of year.

I just recently switched from fermenting in a unitank, to a torpedo keg. So I haven’t had the chance to get another chest freezer to ferment in.

I’m hoping for the best here but if it’s not very good, I won’t worry too much. The only real loss will have been my 5 hours of time on brew day lol. I ended up only using the chinook and cascade. Didn’t want to risk my better hops.

Any tasting notes on this one? I packaged several #'s of hops into 1oz bags and have a dozen or so orphan packs (.3-.7oz). I'm intrigued by this idea, as I was thinking of mixing them all together and making some variation of 60 minute IPA with the random hops.

Rhys3333 menioned it having an appearance of a pale ale and to drink like an amber and that’s probably the best way to describe it. I kegged this last weekend and was going to wait 3 weeks to report back. A pale with a light Carmel / nutty flavor would be my description. I’m very happy with it and definitely am happy to have 10 gallons of it. No off flavors that I can notice from the Nottingham temperature and I plan on using Nottingham a bit more moving forward based on this experience. I can see myself wanting to have a pale/amber beer such as this in constant rotation.

I’ll report back in another week or two with a photo and an update.

So, I was cold crashing at 33*. Taking samples from there and taking full pours. That was when I reported the information above. I recently turned temp to high 30’s and idk what happened, but the beer has changed and is not really enjoyable. I’m going to give it a week or so to see what happens but this may actually turn into a dumper.

This beer is a dumper unfortunately. I’m not sure I would call is gross, but it’s definitely not good lol. My fiancé and I are traveling for work the next few months so I won’t be able to redeem myself until April. Bummer.

This beer is a dumper unfortunately. I’m not sure I would call is gross, but it’s definitely not good lol. My fiancé and I are traveling for work the next few months so I won’t be able to redeem myself until April. Bummer.

What makes it a dumper?

It just has an off flavor that is most apparent in the back of your throat. It’s subtle. It not like you want to spit it back out. I don’t have a glass in front of me right now so I can’t explain. I’ll try to report back next time I do. I can’t say for certain what exactly the cause is. I had one beer that I mistakenly fermented hot in the past. That beer was still very enjoyable though. It had a “hot” bite to it (strong alcohol presence), but it was also a 7.5% beer. The yeast for that was i believe us-05. With the beer in this thread, the recipe was really just a ton of malts I had on hand, I used a yeast I never used before, and I used hops from my garden.

Hey guys. I just upped the size of my fermenter so I have the ability to brew 10 gallon batches now. I have malt that has been sitting around for a while. I’ll make a short list of what I have below. My goal is to make a 10 gallon batch utilizing as much of this malt as I can, while making a good beer that my friends will want to drink. I also plan to use the 3 oz of chinook and 3 oz of cascade that came out of my garden. I also have a 2 oz pack of galaxy in the freezer along with 3 oz of barb rouge. Anyone want to help me build a recipe?

yeast will be Nottingham

—————

10 lbs 2 row - Viking

4 lbs 2 row - Briess

1 lb 7 oz Pilsner - Weyermann

3 lbs 7 oz Munich - Briess

2 lbs 3 Oz red wheat - Briess

1 lb marris otter

———

12 oz special B

7 oz honey malt

8 oz victory malt

I would use the 10# of two row with the honey and victory malt in a place ale. All the rest can be a German type/style. The special B is more difficult because a little goes a long way

Back