Help! Added Dry Yeast too late...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dives425

Reaction score
I forgot to add Dry Yeast to my stout until about the last 15 minutes of the boil. It seemed to break up ok, but I am wondering if this will screw up my beer. I noticed a thicker than normal layer of sediment within 24 hours of fermentation and the airlock is less active then normal.

Anything I can do to save it?

The yeast should have been added to room temperature wort or whatever your fermentation temperature was. I'd pick up another pack to add now while its in the fermentor.

You've added it into the boil before and got the proper reduction in gravity? I would think the heat would kill the yeast.

You added yeast to the boil? :confused: I've heard of that being done with old yeast as a nutrient but your not going to get proper fermentation (or any fermentation for that matter) by boiling the yeast. Please elaborate.

After some thought I'm going to assume you meant to say dry extract, in which case all is well. If so, you did what is referred to as a late extract addition. Not really necessary in a stout, but shouldn't affect fermentation at all. Again, some elaboration would be helpful.

I'll assume the worst here.....

You can't add yeast to the boil. They're alive. If you did, they're dead now. You'll need to pitch some new yeast.

Now if you meant dead yeast as in yeast nutrient, you're all good.

Man you boiled the yeasties??? what did they ever do to you? All they ever wanted was to make you a delicious beer and you killed em'. What kind of person does this?

He had to have meant DME. Adding dry yeast and then boiling for 15 minutes would have surely killed them. As Bernie said, MURDERER!

Unless you had some wild yeast in there, in which case, you need to sanitize your stuff. ;)

No he just thought you added the yeast at the start of the boil... hes not wondering about dry malt... he just noticed the small smack pack and was like $#!% and threw it in, that's my calculated scientific guestimation

Sorry - that's what I get for typing in a hurry. I meant dry malt extract. Funny replies though - I did not murder my yeast ;o)

Yeah your're fine adding a little late. No worries.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't the yeast. I almost called ASPCA for animal cruelty!

Killin' yeast are we? We don't like your kind 'round here boy. (said with my best Deliverance voice)

As long as you got it all dissolved you should be fine. Some people add their DME late on purpose.

I've added DME at flameout my last three batches. After I added it, I let the brew pot site for ten minutes before giving it the ice bath. No problems.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but you will get more hops utilization by adding the DME at the end. So your beer will be more hoppy then then your beer recipe / brew calculator says.

Back