Hello from Chicagoland!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaggy

Reaction score
Beer lovin' Southsider here....hello hello!
I recently signed up my girlfriend and I for a brew class in Beverly of which we are pretty excited for.
I figured the class would be a nice introduction to the art since neither of us has any experience beyond drinking/enjoying beer lol.
I stumbled upon this forum in general searches as I try to learn some before the class next week.
This place looks like a fine brewing resource full of good people and I hope to be more involved as time goes on.
Cheers everyone!

:mug:

Read How to Brew by John Palmer online. Order a couple of books, I started off with Homebrewing for Dummies and lurk for awhile. The class is also a very good way to see how what you've read is actually applied.

Sounds like you're going about it the right way.

P.S. - my kid loves watching your cartoons.

What's up South Side! I grew up out your way. There are lots of us Chicagoland area guys on the board. The howtobrew.com suggestion is a great one - that's how I started.

What Would Scooby Do?

Yes, welcome! You aren't far from me! I keep intendng to go to the Maple Tree Inn to sample the beer selection there.

+1 for How To Brew - a "must read".

Maple Tree is a nice place and is only maybe a mile away or so from where I live.
I have not been there in quite sometime though, so I've no recent reports to share.

Thanks for the welcomes everyone...and that suggestion to read "How to Brew".
Good to know there are many Chicago area folks about...
I look forward to learning with yous as well as any meetups etc. as time goes on.
Cheers!

-peace
Shaggy

Hey Shaggy your taking a class @ Bev-Art on 100 @ Western. I live in Steger and I have been brewing since August. Bev-art is a great shop you will end up spending a lot of time in there. Welcome to the forum.
Also, if you want to learn and hang out with a bunch of fellow brewers check out www.bossbeer.org. It is a local beer club.
Cheers man welcome to the addiction of homebrewing!!!:rockin:

Jim Karr said:
... My favorite watering hole was Erik the Red's at 111th and Kedzie. Is it still there?

Wow, there's a name I had forgotten. No, it closed years ago. Now all you have is the memory.:(

lol...yeah, I remember that name Erik the Red but never was in there.
I currently work right near Midway which is near Marquette of course.

StankAle...

Yes, that shop in Beverly is pretty neat. I stopped in for the first time over the weekend to check it out before the class this Thursday. Now I'm really excited!
Talked with a few of the staff and all were helpful and friendly.
I bought a few supplies too. I figured with all the attention that the Apfelwein recipe by EdWort received, well, I may as well try to make since it seemed so easy lol!
I'm going to start that this coming weekend I do believe.
Wooohoooo!
Thanks again everyone.
:)

OK...so I went to the class last night with my SO. I believe she shares much my same thoughts overall on the experience, but I'm going to run on from my POV only.
I honestly was not that impressed with it.
There were a few reasons I guess.
One was over the past couple weeks, I've read/studied a bunch via this site and other means. So, most of the discussion was a bit rehash and I guess I expected that to occur in a way. It was reassuring though that at least what I've dug into, I've retained a good amount.
Importantly though, it was not as hands on as I would have thought/preferred.
The class was just us and another couple, so it was only 2 batches being made.
We did not get to sanitize anything as everything was put together before we got there.
We did not get to put the grains/hops into the muslin sacks so I did not get to see that process as they were made before we arrived.
There was only one brew kettle used to boil water and that was shared between both batches. It made not a bunch of sense to me where the other couple had their sack simmering first...then took a couple gallons of the hot wort they needed for their bucket and then we put our bag in the same pot for a bit to simmer before transferring to ours. I would have preferred to have done both batches separate for that experience.
No wort chiller etc. used....just cold water from a separate tank after we both used a couple gallons of the wort.
We added the extra hops pellets to the bucket, added liquid yeast, capped the bucket, put in the bubbler (which was filed with star san) and then that was that.
The instructor was not as personable as the other folks I chatted with on my first visit there and I think he only looked us in the eye maybe a few times over the course of 2 hours with him. He didn't seem too comfortable instructing, but did seem very knowledgeable and had a great love for brewing.
Outside of that arena I bet hes much more personable and look forward to knowing him more casually.

The pros that I felt of the class were for one, since I'm new to this, it kinda solidified that its not "rocket science" to make a simple brew. I was not quite sure of that by reading alone.
Some of the hands on was interesting including using the hydrometer as I never used one before.
The best part overall was sampling some brews and mead lol...
First time I tried mead and it was lovely!
Of course, I am looking forward to getting back there in a few weeks to prime/bottle.

Regardless, I'm WAY psyched to be involved and am happy to have started my first batch. This weekend I'll probably start the Apfelwein I bought supplies for last week.
I've already been running around plans in my mind for making a home brew space and how this is going to be an amusing hobby and potentially a passion down the line.

:rockin: :tank: :rockin:

I'm a newbie here too...hola! Stankale is right...it IS an addiction...can't wait to get my next batch going next weekend. I didn't even know that classes were available. You'll get plenty of hands on this weekend, trust me!

Cheers,

Kug
:rockin:

I pretty much assumed the class would be basic; mostly for a true beginner and not for someone that did a bunch of research.

You know though, if you want to really delve into to it with a more in-depth brew session. Post on here or the wisconsin/illinois board asking if anyone is having a brew session on a particular weekend and if you could crash it for a bit. Most people are pretty inviting about that stuff.

SRM that is a great idea. Hell I might even think about doing that myself!!
I would love to watch other's procedures. I am sure I would pick up a thing or two.

StankAle said:
...I would love to watch other's procedures. I am sure I would pick up a thing or two.

Yeah, we've done that before - held group brews or just gotten together for someone else's brew session. Not only is it fun, but you can learn a lot seeing how someone else does things. Everyone has certain things they do differently and you may pick up a pointer or two you might never have gotten otherwise.

Great idea indeed!
We probably would have learned much more and had a better time...not to mention saving the class money that could be used for equipment/supplies etc.

Didn't get to start the Apfelwein like I planned above...but we are doing it tonight!
For now, I will continue to buy more supplies as I can so I get get started on a home brew soon enough.
I've already contacted a friend whom is a beer line cleaner to see if he can get a hold of any Cornys for me from any of his accounts lol!

hey Shaggy. i took that class, without all the research you did, and then after the class realized how basic it really was. Still, my beer from the class was a great american hefe-weizen, maybe a tad too fruity/cidery, but very drinkable. It's been over a year and I'm still having fun.

I am a newb here too and just finished reading Papazian's Joy of Home Brewing and found howtobrew.com in all of my research. I am starting my first brew this weekend (Fat Tire Clone). Can anyone recommend a local brew shop around Plainfield? It is also nice to see all of these Chicago locals.

Darren

Latest posts

Back