Hefeweizen...need heavier, wheatier beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Quick question on Hefeweizen recipe...I made this but want to make it more wheatier...not as light, if you will.

5lb Wheat Malt, Ger
4lb Pilsner
1lb White Wheat
17.5g Tettnanger (60min)
Yeast, Lallemand Munich Classic

This turned out to be quite delicious, but a little too light (although a little refreshing on a hot summer day). I am looking for ideas to make it a bit more "wheaty." I can almost see through this beer and I didn't fine with anything.

Thanks for the feedback...

Last edited:
FWIW, I add about 2% melanoidin, plus enough munich (or caramunich) to get an EBC around 12. What temp(s) are you mashing at?

Decoction and long rest at 162 are traditional for German Hefe. Both will aid in what you’re looking for.

If you have the means to do a step mash, it's worth a try. I recommend this resource to anyone who's interested in hefeweizen: http://braumagazin.de/article/brewing-bavarian-weissbier-all-you-ever-wanted-to-know/

Thanks for posting that! I had read that a while back and have been looking for it ever since. There’s so much awesome brewing science info in that piece. A lot of litttle tidbits you can apply to other beers as well. Maybe one of the best articles ever written on producing a specific beer style!

Will try the melanoidin and munich...I am at EBC of 6.

Single step mash @ 152F

That's really quite light.

I second the melanoidin+caramunich.

Mine is at around ~16EBC, with 50%wheat; 33%Vienna and 17%MunichII, but I also do a decoction and step-mash.
Maybe skip the Pilsner and use Vienna?

What's your OG? Hefeweizen can definitely benefit from a higher OG.

I've had success shooting for an OG of around 1.048/49, and then bottle carbing with dextrose, for a final ABV of around 5.4%. The dextrose seems to coax out the last few fruity esters.

Back