Hefe totally fermented in 3 days? Used two kinds of yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made a hefe on sunday evening (OG 1.052). I used a wyeast american hefe yeast smack pack and a safeale 05.

The reason I used two yeasts is because the smack pack never swelled (I let it go at room temp for 3 hours) and I was nervous that it was bad.. Not wanting to waste it, I went ahead and pitched the smackpack along with a pack of safale 05 just to be safe.. I went out of town and when I came home on thursday evening, it was done.. no bubbles at all.. There was some trub in the blowoff hose and I lost about 1/4 gallon, so I know "something" happened, but I have been brewing for 15 years and have never had a beer ferment this fast.. There is always at least some activity in the airlock.. I haven't taken a FG yet but I wanted to ask you guys if it's normal for a hefe to ferment this fast? (First hefe I ever made). Or any style for that matter? Is it because I used two kinds of yeast?

Well, I just brewed an Imperial Stout and dumped it onto an Irish ale yeast cake and it blew off like a madman for two days and then pretty much subsided completely....I think it is still fermenting slowly, but I'll bet there's enough alcohol in there to slow it down considerably. So yes, I have seen beer complete an active fermentation cycle in two or three days. IF I remember correctly, S-05 is a quick ferment....

also, if there is a large temp swing that can stall or diminish active fermentation pretty quickly. Do you ferment in your garage?

Back