Heady Topper Irony

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Painter

Reaction score
My daughter gave me a 4-pack of Heady Topper for Christmas (she gets Daughter of the Year award). On the can it says to drink from the can, but the label shows a person drinking from a glass.

Heady.jpg

I suspect they put "drink from the can" on there because they were concerned people would turn their noses up at the cloudiness. Now that cloudiness is part of this style, you can drink it however you want.

There's a video of the brew master (I can't remember his name) on utube. He answers this question. I believe he said the label was made long before they started canning the beer. They just liked it and never changed it. I may be wrong though as I say the video months ago.....

I get drinking from the can if you are in a hot-tub, or driving, but it seems like the brewer would want you to experience the aroma, and you just don't get that from a can the same way you do from a glass.

Hah! I'm just far enough from their closest distribution point that, without dedicating an overnight to make the pilgramage, I'd like for somebody to send me samples, too. Maybe my daughter will be heading that way again soon and can take orders.

I'l be honest, Heady Topper was the only beer I've ever had that I thought lived up to all the hype. Truly one of my favorite beers ever, if not my #1 favorite..

Gonna have to see if my beverage 'warehouse' can get any of this..They can get Allegash, so I don't see why the couldn't get Alchemist..They MAY have had some on the shelf when I 1st visited them shortly after starting this adventure called home brewing a little over a year ago...Now, the tough part is getting off work to get over to them before they close at night!..LOL

John says drinking out of the can is better because it keeps the beer fresher longer as you drink it. I agree with treacheroustexan in that it is the only beer that has lived up to the hype...although I am making a pilgrimage to Tired Hands this weekend and hope to be equally impressed.

John says drinking out of the can is better because it keeps the beer fresher longer as you drink it. I agree with treacheroustexan in that it is the only beer that has lived up to the hype...although I am making a pilgrimage to Tired Hands this weekend and hope to be equally impressed.

I'l be making the trip sometime this summer. I realllly wanna try the pineapple milkshake.

I'd love to try it. Had Pliny once. Wasn't expecting it to be as good as I'd heard, but it really was a fantastic beer. I'm hoping Heady can be the same way.

Gonna have to see if my beverage 'warehouse' can get any of this..They can get Allegash, so I don't see why the couldn't get Alchemist..They MAY have had some on the shelf when I 1st visited them shortly after starting this adventure called home brewing a little over a year ago...Now, the tough part is getting off work to get over to them before they close at night!..LOL

There isn't really any HT distribution, so your best bet is to find a trade.

John says drinking out of the can is better because it keeps the beer fresher longer as you drink it.

Well, in my case, twenty minutes from opened to finished....is it really that much less fresh over that period of time? I drank two of my four-pack from the can, and two from a glass and couldn't tell the difference. I prefer the glass.

That said, one of the best beers I have ever had.

I'l be making the trip sometime this summer. I realllly wanna try the pineapple milkshake.

I ended up not being able to make it up...another time I hope.

Well, in my case, twenty minutes from opened to finished....is it really that much less fresh over that period of time? I drank two of my four-pack from the can, and two from a glass and couldn't tell the difference. I prefer the glass.

That said, one of the best beers I have ever had.

LOL Don't ask me...I just think that John is an eccentric and it becomes clear the more you listen to him talk about his brewing process...but if the quality of his beer gives any credence to his claims that drinking from the can is better....well maybe we ought to heed his words. :mug:

sounds like he needs to drink faster.

If you can't smell it, you are missing out on a large portion of what beer offers, so how would you even know if it was fresh?

this months edition of beer and brewing has taste ratings of a large number of NE pale ales. I was surprised to find heady topper pretty much in the middle of the pack. they seem to be big fans of treehouse, lawson's and weldwerks. None of the beers they rated are available in idaho, so I don't have much to offer.

lol! Yup, that can happen.
Youngest son dropped off a four pack but confessed it had been jostled and needed rest.
Of course, the first can was popped in short order. Snow globe is apt...

Cheers! :mug:

Back