Hazy beer. Not chill haze. After 1 micron filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I am making a krystallweizen and it is hazy. I did an all grain batch with RO water and 5.2 buffer. I fly sparge and use an immersion chiller to chill from 212 to 80 in less than 15 minute. I used Irish moss in the last 15 minutes of boil. It was 60 wheat and 40 percent 2row only 2 uunces of hops.

I have filtered to 1 micron.

I have added polyclar with no effect.

Taste is fine and no infection.

Man, I'm stumped on how to fix this one. I typically do have a bit of chill haze but never really let it bother me. But since this is a Krystal beer, or supposed to be I am really struggling with it. I just ordered some clarity ferm.

Anyone got a clue n what my problems are please let me know

Did you retreat the RO water? Also 60% wheat is a bit much, imo, but I've never brewed a krystalweizen.

Without all the information I would suspect it is chill haze. If you didn't filter when it was cold (mid 30s), then the proteins will go right thru the filter.

Can you cold crash? If so, I'd get it cold, and then add gelatin to pull out the proteins.

Without all the information I would suspect it is chill haze. If you didn't filter when it was cold (mid 30s), then the proteins will go right thru the filter.

Can you cold crash? If so, I'd get it cold, and then add gelatin to pull out the proteins.

That's what I was thinking. If the beer was warm, chill haze wouldn't show up. So filtering it before it was cold wouldn't fix chill haze.

In order to filter out chill haze, the beer must be cold enough to exhibit chill haze.

I'm not one who filters, but if I WAS filtering, I'd cold crash first and then filter only cold beer into the serving keg.

Back