Chill haze in bottle conditioned beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matheos

Reaction score
So I recently brewed myself a "pseudo" bohemian pilsener according to this recipe: Brewfather
The beer is now bottled and has been bottle conditioning for soon 2,5 weeks.
As you see from the recipe, I used Voss Kveik as my yeast (not sure if it makes any difference for the haze though?).

At room temp (quite warm atm here in Finland, above 20 deg Celcius), the beer looks very clear through the bottle though when chilled in the fridge, it becomes all hazy and it seems to stay that way even after leaving the bottles in the fridge for days.
I have read up on what could cause this, and things I could have done to try to prevent this earlier (protein rest etc.). One thing I always do, is I use one teaspoon of irish moss in my 20 ish litre batch 10 minutes before the end of the boil.

I have also noticed that there is little to no yeast residue in the bottles... This confuses me a bit, and even after inspection of room warm bottles, I cannot seem to see any in those either...

Bottom line, I guess my question is, can I do anything at this stage to clear it up? I guess not as they are bottled... And how come there is so little yeast residue? It is often very noticeable (at least using US-05).

One theory of what could have caused the haze this time, is the malts used and the simple single infusion mash along with the wort being chilled rather ineffecitvely (my chiller really sucks and it does probably take 20-25mins to chill the full volume to pitching temp)

Have you opened a bottle and poured a glass of it?

I see haze and stuff too through my bottles sometimes when I put them in the fridge and they seemed clear before going in the fridge. But usually after a few days and by the time I get to opening one they are clear again. Sometimes even the hazy looking in the bottle are pretty clear and clean in the glass.

I don't know that there is much you can do at this point other than just wait longer for it to possibly clear up. But if it tastes good otherwise, just close your eyes and drink them all. Sooner you get them gone the sooner you can work on that next batch. Maybe boil harder and longer.

Have you opened a bottle and poured a glass of it?

I see haze and stuff too through my bottles sometimes when I put them in the fridge and they seemed clear before going in the fridge. But usually after a few days and by the time I get to opening one they are clear again. Sometimes even the hazy looking in the bottle are pretty clear and clean in the glass.

I don't know that there is much you can do at this point other than just wait longer for it to possibly clear up. But if it tastes good otherwise, just close your eyes and drink them all. Sooner you get them gone the sooner you can work on that next batch. Maybe boil harder and longer.
Yeah I have had three bottles in glasses. About as hazy in glasses. And Yea I guess u are right. Been max a week in fridge though so may still change? Tastes good tho :D

though so may still change?
It's possible. Homebrew beer is biologically active. Cold just slows things to a crawl.

Any sign that your beer might be infected? I had some once that random bottles were infected. And they did seem to stay hazy in the fridge longer than my usual experience of a day or two.

The ones that did stay hazy tasted yuck. Those that were hazy for a week or so in the fridge then eventually cleared up seemed to be a nice tasting sour beer. Though they weren't intended to be a sour.

The SG of all of them was very low. 1.001 or there 'bouts. IIRC, the FG was 1.012 when bottled.

Any sign that your beer might be infected? .
No, no signs of infection. They taste fine and smell fine and all. FG was imo around 1.011 which was expected.

Another thing I thought about was the removal of "protein foam" at around 80-90⁰ C when heating up to a boil. Some say it's not necessary, some say it is. I used to do it (remove the foam) but I have left that step out of my process for the last two brews. Not sure if it is even possible that that would be the culprit though... My last batch was so dark in color that any potential haze would not have been noticeable either way 😅

No, no signs of infection. They taste fine and smell fine and all. FG was imo around 1.011 which was expected.

Another thing I thought about was the removal of "protein foam" at around 80-90⁰ C when heating up to a boil. Some say it's not necessary, some say it is. I used to do it (remove the foam) but I have left that step out of my process for the last two brews. Not sure if it is even possible that that would be the culprit though... My last batch was so dark in color that any potential haze would not have been noticeable either way 😅
When I brewed pilsners over the winter, I was scooping the foam from the wort, the beers came out clear. I also used whirlfloc tabs last 5 min in boil, also let wort settle for 1/2-3/4 hr before transferring to fermenting pail,but I was removing the foam.Last two batches I stirred it in, What are we removing exactly when we scoop foam, flavor, body,anyone?

When I brewed pilsners over the winter, I was scooping the foam from the wort, the beers came out clear. I also used whirlfloc tabs last 5 min in boil, also let wort settle for 1/2-3/4 hr before transferring to fermenting pail,but I was removing the foam.Last two batches I stirred it in, What are we removing exactly when we scoop foam, flavor, body,anyone?
so did the last two batches (stirred in) turn out hazy or clear? Did you personally notice any difference?

Nothing can be done for this batch, as it is bottled.

Once in a while you get a kegged beer that is difficult to clear. I usually use Whirflock in late boil, then gelatin in the keg. A couple times I had to add a second dose to the keg to get it to clear.

Chill haze can be reduced with a 122F-129F protein rest for 20-30 mins. A lot of malts do not need protein rests. Maybe yours would benefit from using a protein rest.

Back