Haze dropping after a few weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcreBrewer

Reaction score
I have been making NEIPA's for a couple years. I've got pretty good at the overall making of it. They usually come out hazy, juicy pretty close to the style. But they all seemingly begin loosing the haze after a 2-3 weeks? They still taste good but the haze just drops. Does anyone have an idea as to why? Maybe I am doing some part of the NEIPA brewing technique(s) wrong? I usually have wheat malt, flaked wheat & oats as part of the grist. I do water treatment for a 1-3 sulfate / calcium chloride ratio. Whirlpool hops, active primary hops 3 days into fermentation and another dry hop too. Any help would be great! Cheers!

I use 6.3% of each white wheat, flaked wheat and flaked oats. I use GY054. The last few times I've skipped the hopping during fermentation. I dont have my water profile atm but 1-3 seems good.

@Dgallo brews these mostly if I remember right. He may have some more detailed info.

Thanks for your insight. What about the haze in your beers? Does it last till the end of the keg?

There are a few guys on here that swear you can create stable haze with zero flaked adjuncts. I haven't gone that route yet but am looking forward to trying it at some point.

Although haze isn't the goal, I understand why people are aiming for it (I'm one of them - people also drink with their eyes). I used to think it was the adjuncts that created haze, but after brewing neipas for about 4 years, reading up on everything I possibly can, plus speaking to many local breweries, I think process has more to do with creating stable haze than adjuncts do. Biotransformation DHing actually created less stable haze in my personal experience. I find that soft crashing the yeast out after primary fermentation is complete and then DHing creates more haze (certain hops also create more haze ie Citra vs Mosaic). Both increased temperature and contact time increases polypenols, which in turn can create astringency and "hop burn". DHing at lower temps and for a shorter time decreases the polyphenols in suspension, creating a more pleasurable DH taste. What We Know About Dry Hopping - Scott Janish

That being said, personally, I have found that flaked oats drop faster than wheat. Wheat malt and flaked wheat seem to hang in suspension longer. Malted oats create haze, but I'm not a fan of their flavor. Again, YMMV.

I have been making NEIPA's for a couple years. I've got pretty good at the overall making of it. They usually come out hazy, juicy pretty close to the style. But they all seemingly begin loosing the haze after a 2-3 weeks? They still taste good but the haze just drops. Does anyone have an idea as to why? Maybe I am doing some part of the NEIPA brewing technique(s) wrong? I usually have wheat malt, flaked wheat & oats as part of the grist. I do water treatment for a 1-3 sulfate / calcium chloride ratio. Whirlpool hops, active primary hops 3 days into fermentation and another dry hop too. Any help would be great! Cheers!
Sounds like settling in the keg. Just invert the keg for a few minutes to get it all back into suspension?

I dont know if its your yeast . GY054 isn't the only yeast for a NEIPA. what yeast are you using and whats your grain bill.
I pretty much use 3-5 lbs malted wheat, 1-2 lbs flaked oats & wheat. Then the base malt has been, Pilsner, 2 Row & Munich at different times. Yeast varies, lately Imperial A04 Barbarian & Dry hop A24. Before I've used White Labs Burlington Ale

Back