have you tried fermenting and serving from the same keg without transferring?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

have you tried fermenting and serving from the same keg without transferring?

• Total voters

odie

Reaction score
how long can the keg fermented beer sit on the yeast/trub cake before it goes bad? Some of my kegs of finished beer sit 6-12+ months in temperature controlled storage. RIS, high gravity Belgians and dopplebocks, etc... granted those are racked off the yeast/trub cake.

Reaction score
Mostly IPA's. Maybe 4-6 weeks. It wasn't terrible, just a little twang I was picking up. I may revist this technique just to give it another try.
I've been using this method for a few batches now and for the first time I got a twang on a Kolsch that was about 3 months old. Not sure if it was due to the yeast (Wyeast 2565) or the age... the other amber and pale ales were finished in less than 2 months and were totally fine .

cmac62

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
how long can the keg fermented beer sit on the yeast/trub cake before it goes bad? Some of my kegs of finished beer sit 6-12+ months in temperature controlled storage. RIS, high gravity Belgians and dopplebocks, etc... granted those are racked off the yeast/trub cake.
I would think the keg filled with alcohol and sitting in a cold fridge the autalasys or whatever it is called would be slowed significantly. I usually don't worry when transferring to the keg if I get some of the yeast and they have sat in the beer fridge waiting for a spot in the keggerator for months with no problem. :mug:

odie

Reaction score
If I fermented a RIS or Quad in the keg, it would sit for a year with the beer on the yeast cake. That is my concern.

ba-brewer

I'm not Zog
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
An update to experiment with leaving the beer on yeast. I sampled the beer on yeast and the control at about 2.5weeks of lagering. Both were a bit hazy still and need some more lagering but could be consumed if you dont mind a little rough edges.

Bad news is my control keg tasted a touch oxidized so I might need to drink that one before it gets to the point I would normally prefer to drink it.

The keg on yeast is in a 2.5gal keg that I cut the dip tube to leave 1pint of beer behind. I did not not pick up any yeast on the first pour.

seilenos

Reaction score
With regards to #3...my entire kettle gets screened thru a bucket strainer (100-200 micron). Everything, so when fermentation is done, I have a very "short" cake that appears to be most all yeast. I currently save it and the entire fermenter bucket "dregs" is about a pint total volume of beer & yeast. No other debris. Everything else goes into the keg as clean beer.
This piqued my interest as I have a bottling bucket that I haven't used in years and extra BIAB bags.

I'm wondering if after chilling in my boil kettle can I rack to the bottling bucket that has a BIAB bag in it, pitch the yeast, and then rack to a keg.

How much do you fill your keg?
Alternatively, how much head space do you leave?

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
I use the floating dip tube as there are a bunch of hop-stand hops that I dump in there with my splits of smoked and charred white oak. I’m using 15.5Gal torpedo keg and screen around the floating dip tube. I may transfer out to some smaller kegs before it sits in there too long, but serving out of the new birthday kegerator for now.

Jako

Reaction score
exactly my thoughts...definitely wanna try this ferment and serve thing...
So about to finish my first 10G using this method. I lost a decent amount of beer as expected. I would definitely do this again. Having a floating dip dude would be ideal even after moving to clean kegs after fermenting.

I have a few ideas I want to play with. I have been slammed trying to get my front yard ready for hydro seed. I had to run 3 more valves this past weekend. Luck for me sitting at my work desk for a week I had plenty of time to visualize in my head how it should come together.

What would be a really good combination is 10G conical to drop trub and most of the yeast then transfer to kegs while still sorta fermenting. Leaves yeast in suspension for conditioning and carbonation. But it defeats the whole idea I guess.

odie

Reaction score
didn't cut dip tubes. lol i used the first bit as my yeast sample for the next batch
how was the beer clarity after the initial "yeast harvest"? How much did you have to pour before the clear beer started?

Jako

Reaction score
2 things i didn't cold crash and i didn't wait much time after moving it to a keg. the clarity now is good. i had to pour off as much as you would any other batch.

i would say the only thing that really stands out is how much yeast is left at the bottom even after a transfer to a clean keg. once the keg taps you end up with sludge. a normal keg for me would be a cloudy yeast beer mix.

my take away is its easy, saves me some C02. but the big thing i noticed is the beer fermented very fast with almost no lager sulfer smells i fermented at 5PSI. looking forward to finding ways to improve this process.

Latest posts