Has this happened to anyone else?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonmann

Reaction score
I unfortunately came down with the flu over Christmas. I spent all of Christmas eve and Christmas day in bed, only emerging to put together some of my kid's presents. It was the worst illness I have had in several years.

Since then I have completely been turned off by most beers. It seems that anything north of 20-30 IBU's is undrinkable to me. I opened a boulevard single-wide last night and could not finish it. It feels like my bitter taste buds have become super sensitive.

Has this happened to anyone else? Does it get better?

I generally stay away from alcohol when I get the flu. Things don't taste right,& the alcohol negates any medicines taken for the flu. It gets better after you get over it ime.

For sure. It comes and goes for me. If I have a heavy couple of weeks of beer (beer fest followed by homebrew club followed by tailgating....) I often can hardly stomach a beer for a week or two.

Luckily that awful feeling of not wanting beer goes away fairly quickly :D

My taste buds are off after a bad cold, flu, or virus for about a week. Coffee, beer, and a lot of other foods/drinks I normally enjoy don't taste right.

However, you're going on 2 weeks; do you still have symptoms? Has your flu caused a sinus infection that's affecting taste?

Yeah,I even go from hoppy or roasty to a lighter pale ale or lager at that point for a while. I eventually get back around to the hoppier ones tasting better again. But the flu must be delt with first. They always taste bitter/funky to me when I'm sick with it. Oddly enough,sometimes the flu acted more like sinitus,or so I thought.

Flu is long gone, but aversion to beer remains. I'm not saying that I expect beer to taste great while I'm under the weather, I've been better for a while.

It will probably take a while for your taste buds to get back to normal. Once I was sick I get a high fever and nothing tasted right for about 2 weeks after the fever broke.

It is an old remedy to get back to normal. Chicken noodle soup with a lot of white pepper. It has always helped me regain the appetite and taste buds after the flue.

Yeah I'm in the same boat right now. I've been sick off and on for the past month and I've probably only had about 4 beers during that time. I feel like I didn't fully enjoy them either. I'm feeling better now, but still not really wanting any beer. It's happened before and my taste for it came back after a while. I did have some Anejo Tequila with tacos last night that I thoroughly enjoyed though!

Always happens to me when I have a head cold or sinus problem. Sometimes it takes weeks to get cleared out and feeling like stuff tastes good again.

^I like your avatar! Reminds me of last call at the bar I frequented across from plant #1 in Cleveland. "Last call for alcohol! Time to face reality!" she'd always yell. Funny stuff.

Back