Has anyone used the UMAI dry aging bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhumbline

Reaction score
These look interesting, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with them.

I'd like to dry age some steaks and use them in charcuterie. I really don't have the space for a dedicated curing fridge.

Interesting article

http://blog.golbsalt.com/2012/09/07/umai-dry-bag-is-it-really-dry-aging/

One of these days I'm going to fully dry-age a whole rib roast. Until I commit to that, I'm not going to mess around with things like these bags.

Thanks for the link, it's kind of the purist view. A large part of his argument is that "the rules" don't allow any type of covering, but he does go on to admit that it will probably enhance the flavor, and that's good enough for me.

He seems to dismiss the fact that they do claim the bags allow oxygen. They warn you to suspend the meat to allow for air circulation.

Building a fermentation refer is out of the question, but I already have a vacuum sealer and this sounds like a cheap experiment.

I'll post my results. I plan on doing a whole rib roast as well as several charcuterie projects.

Update: I just ordered a kit. My first two projects will be a capicola and a prosciutto.

I'll pick up a rib roast or NY strip slab to try the beef angle of this.

It should be ready for tasting a month from now. I'll let you know.

The kit came on Friday, so a Costco run was in order.

I picked up a whole ribeye and a NY strip, for about 30 pounds of beef.

I won't try to explain how the bags work, Kansas State University did an objective comparison between this method and traditional dry aging. You can download their findings here http://krex.k-state.edu/dspace/handle/2097/4343 . The article linked in post #2 is from a commercial site that sells a competing product so I'd take that with a grain of salt ;)

I didn't thoroughly read the instructions because I'd watched several youtube videos, so I struggled with the things at first thinking I needed a full vacuum seal. That's not the case. The vacuum sealer is to pull the bag in contact with the surface of the meat where it forms a bond and allows the drying process to begin.

They claim you don't need a sealer at all if you are able to force most of the air out of the bag and just tie it off. But with patience and perseverance I was able to get a good vacuum and a tight seal.

I realize you already picked up some of those bags, but Serious Eats did a pretty thorough examination of aging beef at home, including using the bags.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html

I did run across that site in my research. It's one of the most comprehensive articles I've read on the subject.

In the part about bags vs. traditional aging, he states that even with the problems he encountered, the results were equal to what he'd gotten from traditional dry aging.

That's good enough for me Remember, what we're talking about here are bags that are moisture permeable, at their worst, they provide some protection. Traditional dry aging is placing an exposed hunk of meat in your fridge for a period of time until it loses a certain amount of its moisture content. The bag has to provide more protection than nothing at all.

But all of that aside, if it sucks, I'll be man enough to shout it from the roof tops. I don't have a dog in this fight and I ain't ashamed to say that I pissed away $100 if it turns out to be the case.

I'll be back in a month with an honest report.

I unpacked the NY strip today after 28 days in the fridge.

As expected, it had formed a hard bark covering the outside. I trimmed this off for the most part, leaving some to be trimmed before cooking. I did this to reduce the amount of waste.

28 days is about the bottom end of the suggested aging time but I pulled this because I wasn't happy with the seal I got and, let's be honest, curiosity was killing me. I cooked one steak in a frying pan and the other on the grill. Both were very good, but the short aging time imparted only a slight flavor change.

I'm going to let the ribeye go for 45 days which seems to be where the flavors really develop.

I'm not a biologist or chemist, so I'm not going to try to defend the science involved.

Traditional dry aging involves putting a sub-primal or primal cut of beef in a cold room under controlled humidity. Over time, the beef loses moisture and naturally occurring enzymes cause chemical changes in the meat that affect flavor and texture. The beef will typically loose 30% of its weight due to water and trimming loss, this contributes to the advanced cost of dry aged beef.

Wet aging is just letting the meat sit in the cryovac bag for a period of time. Because the cryovac bag is not water permeable, the aging process and the result are different.

The UMAI bags are a thin, single-ply membrane that is water permeable. A vacuum sealer is used to draw the bag tight to the surface of the meat and this is where some people get confused and think that this is wet aging. The vacuum sealer is just to get the membrane in contact with the meat so the drying process can begin.

So how did it work?

The bags are very sensitive to any wetness at the seal area. I didn't get a good seal on the NY strip because I was being dumb. There are videos suggesting you seal each corner of the bag, leaving a four inch section to be sealed for the final. I didn't do this on the NY and had problems getting a good bond.

I'd learned my lesson by the time I did the ribeye and that one went perfectly.

You can see in the pics that I used my regular fridge. this worked well as long as you have room for 25 pounds of meat laying around in there. There would be a faint smell when opening the door after the fridge had been closed overnight but it wasn't anything unpleasant.

I've got two Capicola's in bags right now. Those need 90 days or so. I'm also going to do some fermented salami using the narrow tubes offered by UMAI.

Sorry about the limited pics. there are a bunch of Youtube videos from various sources that illustrate my experience.

I'm obviously happy with the results and I'll let you know how the rest of the experiment goes.

Day1.JPG

2Weeks.JPG

28Days.JPG

Steaks.JPG

Thanks for the update. I'm curious how much loss you had both from shrinkage and from trimming.

I'm glad you already got some flavor at 30 days. Definitely let us know about the 45 day run and your other tests.

Also, looks like you have the meat propped up - do you need to still encourage airflow with the bags? I'm assuming so, since they are permeable.

I have a strip aging now. My seal was horrible and the material didn't bond to the meat. It's about a month in and we will see.

I have a strip aging now. My seal was horrible and the material didn't bond to the meat. It's about a month in and we will see.

Don't worry too much about it. Remember, traditional dry aging is just setting the meat on a rack in a refrigerator and waiting. You've got it protected in a bag. How long are you looking at going for?

Air circulation is very important for the drying process. That's why the bagged meat is raised up.

I lost right at 30% due to water loss and trimming, but I will trim some more before cooking. I saved a bunch by buying the subprimals. I figure with the cost of the bag included I'm at about $7.50 a pound compared to $50-$80 for dry aged steaks by mail order.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I'm definitely looking forward to hearing the ribeye results.

It's been about 45 days, I just unbagged the ribeye and trimmed it.

I ended up with 15 steaks and the end pieces that I cooked up for a sample. Delicious! The extra time added the flavor I was looking for.

The meat gets very dense, so it does require some changes to cooking, which I'm still experimenting with. The NY Strip I did sous-vide came out the best, so I'll try that with a ribeye.

Now I'm excited about the charcuterie.

Ribeye.jpg

What are you doing with the excess steaks? Bagging them and freezing them?

Did you go for boneless ribeye or bone-in? Choice or prime?

Was the difference enough to be "worth it" in your opinion? I think I'd be interested in trying this based on your results...

What are you doing with the excess steaks? Bagging them and freezing them?

Did you go for boneless ribeye or bone-in? Choice or prime?

Was the difference enough to be "worth it" in your opinion? I think I'd be interested in trying this based on your results...

I vacuum pack them and freeze them. Then they are all ready to thaw and drop into the sous vide. I guess I could include some herbs or whatever when I initially bag them.

I went with a choice boneless ribeye for no other reason than it was the only one available, I think I'll do a bone in next. The bone in's are a bit trickier to bag, but you don't get as much waste due to trimming.

As for the value added, I'd say if you already have a vacuum sealer it's a pretty inexpensive experiment. You aren't going to ruin the meat.

It certainly changes the texture of the meat, it is much more dense. At 45 days it imparted a slight flavor. Due to the changes in the meat you have to change how you cook it. I've been experimenting but still don't have it nailed.

I've got plenty of steaks for now. I may do another in several months but the charcuterie possibilities really have me excited. I've got two capicola's and five Tuscan salami's going right now.

Did you cut the steaks prior to aging? How long did you age? I ask because yours seem to have the coloration going throughout the meat, where mine it was mostly the surface.

Frankly, I'm a bit indifferent about the dry aged steaks I've done. I think it's mostly because I'm still trying to dial in the proper cooking method.

Have you tried one yet? How did you cook it, and what's your opinion?

UPDATE:

Tried the Tuscan Salami. It had lost at least 30% of its weight. Absolutely great! I can't see any reason to ever buy commercial salami again.

I can't wait to try the pepperone and sopressata next.

Let me put in a plug for the Rulman/Polcyn book "Charcuterie". It's one of the few that I've loved every recipe I've tried.

Did you cut the steaks prior to aging? How long did you age? I ask because yours seem to have the coloration going throughout the meat, where mine it was mostly the surface.

Frankly, I'm a bit indifferent about the dry aged steaks I've done. I think it's mostly because I'm still trying to dial in the proper cooking method.

Have you tried one yet? How did you cook it, and what's your opinion?

UPDATE:

Tried the Tuscan Salami. It had lost at least 30% of its weight. Absolutely great! I can't see any reason to ever buy commercial salami again.

I can't wait to try the pepperone and sopressata next.

Let me put in a plug for the Rulman/Polcyn book "Charcuterie". It's one of the few that I've loved every recipe I've tried.

No. I aged the whole primal cut and aged it for 5 or 6 weeks. Omg it was so good.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

[/QUOTE]I haven't tried any of the salami or capicola. Still have a few weeks on the salami and a few months on the cap![/QUOTE]

How did the capicola and salami turn out?

The salami was outstanding! Shared some with my coworkers and they all said they'd buy some from me next batch. a few wanted to pay me to do a batch for them.

I'm ready to do a batch of pepperoni next.

The capicola also turned out very good, but I would have liked it to pick up a bit more of the favors from the rub. I've been cooking it up like bacon for breakfast and adding it to salads.

The bresaola was the only one that wasn't worth repeating. Not bad, just nothing special.

The salami was outstanding! Shared some with my coworkers and they all said they'd buy some from me next batch. a few wanted to pay me to do a batch for them.

The capicola also turned out very good, but I would have liked it to pick up a bit more of the favors from the rub. I've been cooking it up like bacon for breakfast and adding it to salads.

The bresaola was the only one that wasn't worth repeating. Not bad, just nothing special.

All out of Ruhlman's book Charcuterie?

That's great to hear! I have wanted to get into charcuterie but just don't have the space for a curing chamber so this sounds like a great way to get into it.

All out of Ruhlman's book Charcuterie?

Yup,

So far I've done the pancetta, duck prosciutto, spicy italian sausage, bresaola, capicola and Tuscan salami.

The bresaola was ok, I just thought it was a bit bland, everything else was excellent.

Back