harvesting a beer for a quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewebb

Reaction score
Well, the yeast anyways....

I'm planning on making a quad soon (Variant on three philosophers). For the yeast i was thinking of farming what i could out of a bottle of Ommegang Abbey Ale (Delicious!) but i realized that its a dubble. Would the yeast form that be appropriate for a quad, or should i get something hardier?

yeast finally took off, after quite a bit of time, realizing that the room the stir plate was in was far too cold. moved it to a nice warm spare bathroom.

Found myself talking to it like it is a puppy last night..
"Were going to make something delicious! Yes we are! Yes We are!"

i need help

My local Homebrew guy is a Belgian expert and been making them for 25 years. We made a Dubbel with WLP530. I also expressed that I would like to make a Quad. He suggested that after the Dubbel was finished and racked I could just throw the big Quad on top of it.

I would say that as long as you have enough Belgian style yeast you could throw it in that big beer and get good results.

Does Ommegang use thier primary yeast in the bottle or do they filter it out? I'm guessing they do, but I know some are pretty secretive with their strains.

Would love to see this recipe when you are done.

Be sure to use a blowoff tube if you do that with The WLP530; in my experience is one of the most vigorous strains I've ever used. Explosively vigorous.

TD

I've used both WLP 530- Abbey Ale Yeast- very good and also the Trappist Ale yeast, both are very violent fermentations..very violent for atleast the first days anyways. I've also captured yeast from bottles and used that. be careful since some brewer's will bottle condition with champgne yeast, so you might have a slightly mutated strain. See how it goes 6 to 8 months from now. It might take a good 2 or 3 bottles to capture enough yeast then a starter for 2-3 days to get enough viable yeast, let rest and then do your typical yeast starter again before pitching. I've had some really great success capturing from bottle conditioned bottles.

Ommegang is known for being farmable and using the same strain for bottle conditioning. In retrospect, it is also believed that they often use 3787...

I've noticed a good deal of yeast forming now in my starter, but it doesn't have the same color that I normally associate with a a starter. Usually the culture is off white to slightly yellow. This is almost the same color as the wart.

Is this something that should concern me?

Back