Gulden Draak recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chops1867

Reaction score
I hope to brew a fair facsimile of Gulden Draak. I have scoured the Internet and various brew boards searching for a tested recipe. I have found three, all about 10 years old (one on this board) but they are all different and the brewers all report that they fell short of the goal.
Anyone been successful replicating this one?

I hope to brew a fair facsimile of Gulden Draak. I have scoured the Internet and various brew boards searching for a tested recipe. I have found three, all about 10 years old (one on this board) but they are all different and the brewers all report that they fell short of the goal.

I too would like to try this one eventually. It is in the clone brews book. I've only done a few recipes from the book, but have had good results.

I too would like to try this one eventually. It is in the clone brews book. I've only done a few recipes from the book, but have had good results.

I have that recipe, and two others. Only one has Special B malt - I would think that Special B is necessary for the deeper plum/raisin flavor in the beer.

Here's Szamatulski's take on the recipe:

Gulden Draak clone - Belgian Dark Strong Ale (18E)
================================================================================
Batch Size 5.551 gal
Boil Size 6.752 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr
Efficiency 70%
OG 1.071 sg
FG 1.017 sg
ABV 7.5%
Bitterness 21.2 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 10.3 srm (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain 9.000 lb Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel Grain 4.000 lb Yes No 80% 3.0 srm
Wheat Malt, Ger Grain 1.000 lb Yes No 84% 2.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 14.000 oz Yes No 74% 60.0 srm
Aromatic Malt Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 78% 26.0 srm
Caramunich Malt Grain 3.000 oz Yes No 72% 56.0 srm
Biscuit Malt Grain 2.000 oz Yes No 79% 23.0 srm
Total grain: 15.437 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Brewers Gold 9.0% 0.720 oz Boil 90.000 min Pellet 19.6
Styrian Goldings 4.5% 0.250 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 1.6

Miscs
Name Type Use Amount Time
Whirlfloc Fining Boil 1.000 oz 5.000 min

Yeasts
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Belgian Strong Ale Ale Liquid 8.45 tbsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
OTB Medium Body Infusion 5.769 gal 172.864 F 150.000 F 2 hr
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 3.290 gal 197.760 F 165.000 F 15 min

I haven't brewed it yet but I think the Clone Brews recipe will probably come close, but didn't they add sugar as well? Any added sugar should be the D-180 Belgian Candi Syrup. Plus you should add about 4 oz Special B malt. Then I'd say this recipe should work really well.

The recipe I found posted here attributed to Clone Brews had no candi sugar or special B.

Here's another one I found that seems closer. I think it's a defunct Northern Brewer kit:

Gulden Draak clone III (Northern Brewer) - Belgian Dark Strong Ale (18E)
Batch Size 5.250 gal
Boil Size 6.451 gal
Boil Time 1.000 hr
Efficiency 70%
OG 1.072 sg
FG 1.017 sg
ABV 7.6%
Bitterness 18.8 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 38.9 srm (Mosher)

Fermentables
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain 12.000 lb Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
Candi Sugar, Dark Sugar 1.000 lb No Yes 78% 275.0 srm
Candi Sugar, Dark Sugar 1.000 lb No Yes 78% 275.0 srm
Aromatic Malt Grain 12.000 oz Yes No 78% 26.0 srm
Special B Malt Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 65% 160.0 srm
Total grain: 15.000 lb

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Sterling 4.5% 1.000 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 12.7
Saaz (Czech Republic) 4.5% 0.500 oz Boil 30.000 min Pellet 4.9
Saaz (Czech Republic) 4.5% 0.500 oz Boil 5.000 min Pellet 1.3

Yeasts
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Wyeast - Belgian Strong Ale Ale Liquid 8.45 tbsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Amount Temp Target Time
Conversion Infusion 4.875 gal 163.626 F 148.000 F 1 hr
Final Batch Sparge Infusion 3.415 gal 180.082 F 160.000 F 15 min

Notes
Soft Brown Candi Sugar – 1 lb. (Add at end of boil.)
Dark Candi Syrup – 1 lb. (Add to fermenter at high kraeusen)

I think you might be right, the second recipe looks a little closer to the real thing. Or just adjust the first recipe like I said to include sugar and Special B. Either way. Let us know how it turns out!

That is correct. I am hoping to make a version of the white bottle Gulden Draak. Gonna have a bottle of it tonight.
VanSteenberge brewery says they add wine yeast to further ferment the beer. So, I'm thinking to mash at a fairly high temp to keep it sweeter, and use a wine yeast (champagne?) to ferment it to 10.5% ABV. Plus, I think they age it in whiskey barrels.
Gonna meet to age this one for a while.

Any updates?

I bought some bottles of Gulden Draak. Don't like it enough to brew 5 gallons. A friend of mine tells me it's his favorite beer. In fact, he says it's the only beer he drinks. I had thought about making him a batch, but I really don't want to have a few gallons of this on hand. :(

I bought some bottles of Gulden Draak. Don't like it enough to brew 5 gallons. A friend of mine tells me it's his favorite beer. In fact, he says it's the only beer he drinks. I had thought about making him a batch, but I really don't want to have a few gallons of this on hand. :(

It's my favorite beer as well.

So make 1/3 of a batch for your friend, 1.67 gallons. Makes a little more than two 6-packs, which is plenty generous. Incidentally, this is my current favorite batch size. I've been making 1.7 to 2 gallons per batch for a few years now and loving it. No need to make 5 gallons of a beer that you're not sure you'd like.

Latest posts

Back