Quantcast

Great Lakes Hops Proprietary Varieties

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Kaz15

Reaction score
I noticed on GLH's website that they are now offering all of their proprietary hops for sale in 6 oz hop cans. For those not familiar, these varieties are: Michigan Copper, Mackinac, Bergamot, Gemini, Emerald Spire and Paradigm.

Has anyone tried these varieties out? I'm very curious how these new varieties compare to some of the more well known, popular varieties. Perhaps there are some stand out winners?

I will eventually try them myself, but I need to work through my massive stockpile of hops. It seems I have a hop buying problem. But I digress...

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaz15

Reaction score
Bump.

Gauging from lack of response, I’d say I’ve either reached the fringe of hop varieties in home brewing or I’ve posted in the wrong forum.

kevin58

Reaction score
I looked at the post when you made it but I haven't tried them and it didn't seem that any of them are available so I didn't reply.

OP
K

Kaz15

Reaction score
Yes perhaps I should have also included a link to GLH.

I am eager to try them out. Of course if others do so first, please post your impressions!

Now that you mention it, $16 for 6 oz is a bit steep. That said, I typically use 8oz of hops per 5 gals in my hop forward beers. That’s about $11.50 worth of patent variety hops, if I buy in bulk from YakimaValley Hops. (Mosaic, Citra, Sabro, Galaxy, etc) Retail price at a LHS, 8 oz of those hops probably costs well over $16. So, GLH’s price point is not totally outrageous.

OP
K

Kaz15

Reaction score
Any idea if these are grown in the midwest? I have read about some hops grown in Michigan.
Yes, I get the impression that they are mostly grown in Michigan. But also in the surrounding midwestern states.

A page on their website detailing exclusivity rights for hop growers seems to be targeting midwestern growers. Makes sense, since these varieties were bred and selected based on their performance in the midwest, not the Pacific NW.

brownni5

Reaction score
Lots of hops are grown in MI - very favorable climate on the west side of the Lower Peninsula along Lake Michigan for hops and lots of other stuff. I doubt anyone here has brewed with many hips from there though - I imagine most go to local micros.

RiteBrew used to sell those varieties, but I don't see them there now.

BrewnWKopperKat

Reaction score
RiteBrew used to sell those varieties, but I don't see them there now.
Tenancious Badger Hops (web site) may be an option. I haven't ordered directly from their site, but a number of WI LBHS (obviously) stock their WI/MI/MN grown hops.

Stay Thirsty Brew & Drink Indigenous
my (upper Great Lakes) friends.

kevin58

Reaction score
Any idea if these are grown in the midwest? I have read about some hops grown in Michigan.
Michigan is the leading hop producer outside the Pacific Northwest. Washington State, Oregon and Idaho are 1,2,3 followed by #4 Michigan and then New York State at #5.
Source - The Hop Growers of America

CJnCincy

mmmm....Beer!
Reaction score
I've bought hop rhizomes from them (Crystal, Liberty, Mt. Hood, Saaz, and Ultra), but I've never used, or even seen GLH proprietary hops on the market to use for home brewing. Is there a good hop profile characteristics and stats avail on these?

CodeSection

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've bought hop rhizomes from them (Crystal, Liberty, Mt. Hood, Saaz, and Ultra), but I've never used, or even seen GLH proprietary hops on the market to use for home brewing. Is there a good hop profile characteristics and stats avail on these?
Yes. If you search GLH's website you will find them. Here is Michigan Copper's info as an example.....https://www.greatlakeshops.com/michigan-coppertrade.html

Gemini....https://www.greatlakeshops.com/geminitrade.html