Great Lakes Hops Proprietary Varieties

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz15

Reaction score
I noticed on GLH's website that they are now offering all of their proprietary hops for sale in 6 oz hop cans. For those not familiar, these varieties are: Michigan Copper, Mackinac, Bergamot, Gemini, Emerald Spire and Paradigm.

Has anyone tried these varieties out? I'm very curious how these new varieties compare to some of the more well known, popular varieties. Perhaps there are some stand out winners?

I will eventually try them myself, but I need to work through my massive stockpile of hops. It seems I have a hop buying problem. But I digress...

Last edited:
Bump.

Gauging from lack of response, I’d say I’ve either reached the fringe of hop varieties in home brewing or I’ve posted in the wrong forum.

I looked at the post when you made it but I haven't tried them and it didn't seem that any of them are available so I didn't reply.

Bergamot, Gemini, and Emerald Spire look interesting. But, $16 for a 6 oz can seems steep.....maybe it is "worth it".

Yes perhaps I should have also included a link to GLH.

I am eager to try them out. Of course if others do so first, please post your impressions!

Now that you mention it, $16 for 6 oz is a bit steep. That said, I typically use 8oz of hops per 5 gals in my hop forward beers. That’s about $11.50 worth of patent variety hops, if I buy in bulk from YakimaValley Hops. (Mosaic, Citra, Sabro, Galaxy, etc) Retail price at a LHS, 8 oz of those hops probably costs well over $16. So, GLH’s price point is not totally outrageous.

Any idea if these are grown in the midwest? I have read about some hops grown in Michigan.

Yes, I get the impression that they are mostly grown in Michigan. But also in the surrounding midwestern states.

A page on their website detailing exclusivity rights for hop growers seems to be targeting midwestern growers. Makes sense, since these varieties were bred and selected based on their performance in the midwest, not the Pacific NW.

Lots of hops are grown in MI - very favorable climate on the west side of the Lower Peninsula along Lake Michigan for hops and lots of other stuff. I doubt anyone here has brewed with many hips from there though - I imagine most go to local micros.

RiteBrew used to sell those varieties, but I don't see them there now.

RiteBrew used to sell those varieties, but I don't see them there now.

Tenancious Badger Hops (web site) may be an option. I haven't ordered directly from their site, but a number of WI LBHS (obviously) stock their WI/MI/MN grown hops.

Stay Thirsty Brew & Drink Indigenous
my (upper Great Lakes) friends.

Any idea if these are grown in the midwest? I have read about some hops grown in Michigan.

Michigan is the leading hop producer outside the Pacific Northwest. Washington State, Oregon and Idaho are 1,2,3 followed by #4 Michigan and then New York State at #5.
Source - The Hop Growers of America

I've bought hop rhizomes from them (Crystal, Liberty, Mt. Hood, Saaz, and Ultra), but I've never used, or even seen GLH proprietary hops on the market to use for home brewing. Is there a good hop profile characteristics and stats avail on these?

I've bought hop rhizomes from them (Crystal, Liberty, Mt. Hood, Saaz, and Ultra), but I've never used, or even seen GLH proprietary hops on the market to use for home brewing. Is there a good hop profile characteristics and stats avail on these?

Yes. If you search GLH's website you will find them. Here is Michigan Copper's info as an example.....https://www.greatlakeshops.com/michigan-coppertrade.html

Gemini....https://www.greatlakeshops.com/geminitrade.html

Did you ever hear back on anyone these? I ordered some bergamot and Mackinac recently from hang em high hops. They sell them in different sizes, not just the 6oz cans. I'm planning to use them for some ipas over the next few months.

I purchased 6 ounces of Gemini. I plan to use this in a blonde ale paired with Omega Sundew really hoping to bring out the strawberry characteristics in both. Would Gemini be best used in the whirlpool at lower temp or just a couple ounces towards the end of the boil? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I am curious to see how that beer turns out. I’ve been interested in hearing a review on GLH’s proprietary hops.

My standard hopping schedule for a hoppy 5 gallon batch is as follows:

- 2 oz hops at flameout, whirlpool 5 mins
- Cool to <150 F, stop the chill, add 2 more oz of hops, whirlpool for 10-15 mins
- 2 oz hops biotransformation hops (1-3 days into ferment)
- 2 oz dry hops 1-3 days prior to kegging.

That’s what I do. You’ll probably get many different opinions. With only 6 oz I’d probably cut an oz of the <150F addition and the dry hop respectively. Or make it 1.5 oz additions across the board.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Bumping to see if anyone has results they would like to share. I have some Mackinac and Copper in by basket at MI Hop Alliance. Will likely try to hunt down some Michigan malt and brew with good ol' Detroit river water. It seems MI hops have risen and fallen in tonnage during the past decade. Nevertheless, Leelanau hosts some very favorable conditions.

I'll come back in a few months to report. I see Copper and Mackinac are relatives, I'll likely brew a few variations as I will have 1# of each to play with. I have been studying classic ales all winter, I need to mix it up a little with some good ol' heavy-hop-handed American IPA's

Bergamot has become one of my favorite hops. It is orange the way that I once thought Mandarina was supposed to be, but wasn’t. Very orange. Like, did-you-add-peel orange. Goes well with Lotus, another of my favorites.

I’ve used Paradigm in an IPA, and it was nicely fruity/spicy. I currently have a Hydra/Lemondrop IPA in the fermenter, and will report back if it’s something exceptional.

Love Michigan Copper. Received a one-pound bag at a Bells Beer event a couple years ago and did a smash with Maris Otter. It is on my list to brew with again this summer.

Reporting back. The Hydra/Lemondrop IPA turned out very well. Lots of citrus flavor. Don't know how much is the Hydra and how much the Lemondrop, but no complaints with the combination.

I've also used Hydra at a low dose at flameout in a Mexican Lager, and it added some hop and citrus notes without being overpowering.

Bumping the thread again.. I have 1 lb of copper that I want to brew with but I'm not sure how to use it.

@kcpup and @kaffeenjunkie would either of you be willing to share your recipe for how you used it?

@growabeard , sorry, yes. I made a single hop Pale Ale with Copper. VERY fruity - it tasted good.

I plan to make a hazy style IPA with Copper and other NEIPA-common hops. Bottom line - it's a legit nice hop that I'll work into my IPA style brews.

My recipe for the single hop might not interest you. I am an avid sailor and can't drink full strength beer all day - gotta stay sharp! So, about 60% of the beer I brew is less than 2% - ultra low alcohol. The Copper batch came in at 1.4%.

I seem to think when they were first taking off (very early 2010s) you could buy some of their local/proprietary plants but there was never much interest. That was before neomexicanus became a subject of interest and you see how infrequently you hear about those these days. I don't think GLH ever got enough production of their hops to get enough cone on the market to educate anybody about their proprietary varieties. It was a missed opportunity during the mid-2010s when people thought about caring about local hop fields. Now everybody wants the oily proprietary hops so they missed the boat.

I have heard very positive things about Michigan Copper hops from a few podcasts. It sounds like a unique hop that works well in IPAs and NEIPAs.

Unless there is something I am missing, this seems like one of those products where the marketing department really dropped the ball on the naming. When I think of Copper I think of sucking on a penny, and just assumed this hop much have a bit of a metallic and earthy character like you can get with some noble German hops. I don't associate Copper with "Fruit Punch, Tropical, Pepper, Cherry, Floral"

Back