Hop Characteristics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
Is there someplace on HBT or on the web that might identify all of the various characteristics of the many hops available?
Right now I'm drinking an APA that says .... "This classic APA displays the complex bitterness and aroma of the hops from Yakima Valley, WA. It boasts a fragrant bouquet of spice and citrus that combines with an herbal flavor profile. It's hoppy characteristics are balanced by a lean, malty body from the pale and light caramel malt."
The APA is sold at Costco in a case of 24, brewed by Bricks and Barley Brewing Co (Actually Stevens Point Brewery, from what I've read). They feature 4 different 'Craft Beers' in the case to choose from - Stout Ale, IPA, APA, and Brown Ale (By the way, the Brown Ale isn't all that great [substandard?] ), I did like the Stout, the APA is ... ummmm .... OK as well, and haven't yet tried the IPA. It's only 20 bucks a case, so it serves a purpose whilst you're waiting for a recent batch to carbonate ;>). I like the flavor of these particular hops in the APA, and I'd assume that it was Cascade or Centennial, but having grown up/lived in that state for many years, I know that Yakima Valley, Moses Lake, and Walla Walla grew many different varieties of hops at one time or another, so I have no idea of what this hop would be nowadays for sure. BTW, IF I was to try to clone this (which I wouldn't!), I'd have to raise the ABV a bit, but it would be much easier to take a recipe I'm familiar with and use the hops hinted at in this APA. To me, the hop flavor tastes a lot like Bent Nail, from Red Lodge Brewing in Montana, and they said they use Centennial and Cascade a few years back.
Any guesses? OR, in the alternative, anyone know a reliable website where the hops might be listied or on a table, so I might identify these hops?
TIA

Last edited:
Is there someplace on HBT or on the web that might identify all of the various characteristics of the many hops available?

Unfrotunately it's not that simple - there's a lot of overlap between the flavours of different hops, and the same hop can taste very differently depending on vintage, picking time, and what yeast the beer is fermented with. The only way to do it really is by getting experience of how different hops taste in different beers - so go drink beer!

I'd have to raise the ABV a bit, but it would be much easier to take a recipe I'm familiar with and use the hops hinted at in this APA. To me, the hop flavor tastes a lot like Bent Nail, from Red Lodge Brewing in Montana, and they said they use Centennial and Cascade a few years back.
Any guesses? OR, in the alternative, anyone know a reliable website where the hops might be listied or on a table, so I might identify these hops?
TIA

I think you can assume that Costco won't be using expensive proprietary hops like Citra or Mosaic. So things like Cascade are plausible along with other hops like Chinook and Comet. "Herbal" suggests something German-influenced, "spicy" tends to imply European at least. But on cost grounds it would be US-grown versions, which could be US derivatives like Sterling or Santiam. One obvious candidate for "herbal and citrus" would be CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus, three different names for very similar hops), which again is pretty cheap.

Ahhh, thanks a lot Northern_Brewer - I just happen to have some CTZ laying around .... I'll give it a spin!
MT2sum

Back