Red Rye IPA from Ingredients at Hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have time to brew tomorrow, provided I can make do with things I already have in the house. I've decided on a red rye IPA. I'm thinking roughly equal quantities Red X and rye malt, with a little bit of crystal rye I have that's very good. Maybe some Vienna?

Yeast has to ferment at either 54 or 60 F (that's what the fermentation chambers are set at.) I'm thinking Nottingham at 60, though K-97 might be interesting. Lots of dry yeast in the house; no liquid.

Where I'm at a loss is hops. I'd like to do something that fits the red IPA profile, but ideally try something a little out of the ordinary. Available are:
Noble, near-noble, or noble-ish: Tettnang, Spalt, Hallertau, Fuggle, EKG, Willamette, Styrian Goldings, Cluster, Saphir, Magnum, Polaris
IPA hops: Hull Melon, Pacific Jade, Galaxy, Chinook, Simcoe, Citra
Unusual hops: Harlequin, Paradigm, Emerald Spire, Gemini, Bergamot, Lotus, Southern Passion, HBC 472

Magnum for bittering, and then...
...Harlequin/Southern Passion?
...Galaxy/Pacific Jade?
...Saphir/Bergamot?

I’m a Cali boy so I’m partial to Simcoe/Citra/Galaxy. Really can’t go wrong there. Since this is sort of a “pot-luck” recipe you’re going for here-have fun with it. If it’s red, has a 60IBU bitterness profile and hoppy notes on the back end, you’ve done your job.

I decided on 0.47/0.47/0.05 Red X/rye/crystal rye, K-97, and two different batches: one is Galaxy/Harlequin, the other is Pacific Jade/Paradigm. I wanted to use some of those "unusual" hops, and we'll see how this turns out. I'll report back in 3 or 4 weeks.

Back