Grapefruit radler from failed pilsner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmeskill

Reaction score
So I screwed up a pilsner I made a few months ago due to a C/F conversion issue (mashed at 64.5C instead of 69C) which left me with an OG of 1.033. Just measured my FG and came out to 1.005, so 3.6%. Far too low for a pilsner, though the flavor's nice. So I was thinking of doing a radler, specifically a grapefruit-style radler, but couldn't find anything definitive online. I'm looking for something with a bit of residual sweetness, and around 2-2.5%, which, if I'm making sense of the math in BeerSmith right here, I should be looking to dilute my (now remaining) 18L of beer with 7L of filler. Does anyone have any advice on this? Should I be using sweetened grapefruit juice? Unsweetened? I'm bottling, so should I be adding sugar at bottling? Pasteurizing the beer once it gets to a certain point of carbonation?

Any help would be appreciated-at this point my thought is to just add 7-8L of un- or lightly-sweetened grapefruit juice, perhaps a bit of extra bottling sugar, and let them sit at room temperature for a week before trying one. Once they're at an acceptable level of carbonation, I'll pasteurize to keep them from either getting too carbonated or dry. But any experience in this department would be awesome!

I have added up to 3/4 oz of 100% unsweetened grapefruit juice at bottling(12oz). I added priming sugar for 2.0 carbonation. It was a little light on carbonation and muted the hops, but there ws grapefruit flavor on the back end.

I have added up to 3/4 oz of 100% unsweetened grapefruit juice at bottling(12oz). I added priming sugar for 2.0 carbonation. It was a little light on carbonation and muted the hops, but there ws grapefruit flavor on the back end.

I'm looking for something a bit lighter/sweeter, I think. A proper radler which is more like half-beer/half-grapefruit soda. I found a site which lets you calculate alternative sugars-I might try to put double what it takes to get to 2vols and pasteurize when it hits my desire carb level.

why not just make one yourself? get some squirt or fresca and then mix with your beer. adjust to taste.

Back