Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in me for tomorrow's brew.

IMG_6138.jpg

brewed with mine for the first time this weekend. Initial thoughts:
1. so glad I dont have to babysit the brew when heating to strike and mash out.
2. The mash temp overshot by a couple of degrees during the mash

3. the box seems to retain ALOT less heat the first, due to the vents.
4. Also really like that the box itself has an an alarm for stage notification, sometimes I forget to turn up the volume on my ipad/phone.
5. Maybe I am crazy, but this seems to heat a little faster, maybe the reason for the overshoot during mash.

I am wondering if these things will be firmware upgradeable.

Just got my controller today and am having some fitment issues. Can those of you who just received yours from AIH post a few pictures of the back of it, as well as the fitment?

I have tried the screws in both the top and bottom holes. In the top set, it won't fit in the metal loop that it's supposed to slide down into. On the bottom holes it will slide on but the bottom of the unit sits above the metal ring and flops around.

IMG_20170406_145542.jpg

IMG_20170406_144438.jpg

IMG_20170406_144433.jpg

Just got my controller today and am having some fitment issues. Can those of you who just received yours from AIH post a few pictures of the back of it, as well as the fitment?

I have tried the screws in both the top and bottom holes. In the top set, it won't fit in the metal loop that it's supposed to slide down into. On the bottom holes it will slide on but the bottom of the unit sits above the metal ring and flops around.

I just moved the screws from the Connect from bottom to top - or versy vica and viola ...there it was...

I just moved the screws from the Connect from bottom to top - or versy vica and viola ...there it was...

Yeah I did that but it didn't fix it. It slid on but the bottom of the controller doesn't even slide down into the metal "U" shaped holder.

Yeah I did that but it didn't fix it. It slid on but the bottom of the controller doesn't even slide down into the metal "U" shaped holder.

It doesn't, it just sits in the keyholes. It doesn't seem very sturdy but I have yet to have it cause an issue. (I've got 5 brews under the connect). I remove it before cleaning as well. Some People on the GF Facebook group use some Velcro to help hold it in place.

Glad everyone is receiving their's from AIH, but I posted about all this info 20 pages back or so. Edit: 30 pages. Post 2722 2736

It doesn't, it just sits in the keyholes. It doesn't seem very sturdy but I have yet to have it cause an issue. (I've got 5 brews under the connect). I remove it before cleaning as well. Some People on the GF Facebook group use some Velcro to help hold it in place.

Glad everyone is receiving their's from AIH, but I posted about all this info 20 pages back or so. Edit: 30 pages. Post 2722 2736

Thanks for the heads up. I contacted grainfather about it. On the newer grainfathers that come with the connect controller, it looks like they made a special style metal support just for the connect that holds the grainfather in place(all welded in to the backmount and grainfather. I don't see any screws on the new one.)

All they would have to do is release a metal piece that they should include for the retrofit controllers. It just needs to be a little bit longer and it would hold it in just fine. I might just make my own. Just two angled bends and two drilled holes in each side.

Thanks for the heads up. I contacted grainfather about it. On the newer grainfathers that come with the connect controller, it looks like they made a special style metal support just for the connect that holds the grainfather in place(all welded in to the backmount and grainfather. I don't see any screws on the new one.)

All they would have to do is release a metal piece that they should include for the retrofit controllers. It just needs to be a little bit longer and it would hold it in just fine. I might just make my own. Just two angled bends and two drilled holes in each side.

Yeah, mine just hangs off the vessel too. I was hoping it would've slid into the bracket but it doesn't seem to be a problem as I pull it off a couple times when cleaning anyway. But I agree with your recommendations.

Yeah I had to yank my bracket off as well. which is fine since everything disconnects rather easily now and you dont have that long cord that you cant unplug.

So as I work on my second Grainfather brew, I believe this needs a sightglass - has anyone worked this project (besides the one seen in a video)? Interested in sourcing parts and putting it together. It would really be helpful during sparging

So as I work on my second Grainfather brew, I believe this needs a sightglass - has anyone worked this project (besides the one seen in a video)? Interested in sourcing parts and putting it together. It would really be helpful during sparging
Hi. May I ask why it would be helpful during sparging? If you measure out all your mash & sparge water ahead of time, why worry about it? I will concede that knowing you've hit your final volume at the end of boil might be helpful, but if you know your boil off rate, that shouldn't be a problem either. I've found the formulas are pretty close to being spot on, and I've tweaked my formulas slightly to dial in my system with a Graincoat. Just asking so you don't drill a hole in your Grainfather for something you might not need. Ed
:mug:

I would suggest etching markings on the inside instead of installing a sight glass.

if you dont mind my asking, what did you use to cut the inner circle out? I was thinking a jewelry cutter, but dont know if the mesh is too hard.

Ok well I just tried this out last night the extra screen with disastrous results. LHBS had a temporary mill setup and crushed this super fine. i also had some wheat in this batch.

Immediate stuck mash. Great. I had to pull everything out dump all the fluid and grain into a bucket. Dissasemble the bottom plate take off the screen.

Bonus the super fine crush combined with me having to futz around with this stupid thing led to scorching on the element which I have got to have the most sensitive ass "boil off protection" switch ever. Seriously why the hell does this thing even have that switch? What idiot would try and boil this dry?

So of course this is the first time im trying to use the new connect and also do a multi step mash for a belgian dubbel.

Constantly having to reset the element so it kept heating to my next mash temp was SUPER FUN.

So somehow managed to successfully get all my grain + wort back into the GF. Slugged through the mash steps.

Managed to hit my final gravity and volumes even STILL with all this hot mess that went on. Finally finished at about 1am so a 7hr brew day which given the issues I had isnt too bad (got started late).

The good news is the LHBS finally had the commercial grade grain mill show up and the head brewer there set the gap to actually give a courser crush thankfully.

So I dumped my extra screen. Guess this is what I get with a perfect storm of trying to reinvent the wheel.

Ok well I just tried this out last night the extra screen with disastrous results. LHBS had a temporary mill setup and crushed this super fine. i also had some wheat in this batch.

Immediate stuck mash. Great. I had to pull everything out dump all the fluid and grain into a bucket. Dissasemble the bottom plate take off the screen.

Bonus the super fine crush combined with me having to futz around with this stupid thing led to scorching on the element which I have got to have the most sensitive ass "boil off protection" switch ever. Seriously why the hell does this thing even have that switch? What idiot would try and boil this dry?

So of course this is the first time im trying to use the new connect and also do a multi step mash for a belgian dubbel.

Constantly having to reset the element so it kept heating to my next mash temp was SUPER FUN.

So somehow managed to successfully get all my grain + wort back into the GF. Slugged through the mash steps.

Managed to hit my final gravity and volumes even STILL with all this hot mess that went on. Finally finished at about 1am so a 7hr brew day which given the issues I had isnt too bad (got started late).

The good news is the LHBS finally had the commercial grade grain mill show up and the head brewer there set the gap to actually give a courser crush thankfully.

So I dumped my extra screen. Guess this is what I get with a perfect storm of trying to reinvent the wheel.

funny you should mention this... I just used mine for the first time last weekend, and also had a pretty bad stuck sparge. I was using about 30% rye which was milled finer than the rest, and this may have caused it, but I dont know if I am going back to using the extra screen. The miniscule amount of grain particle that gets through without it is not worth this much trouble. I have thought about putting an extra domed false bottom down, as someone else here has done, to see if that makes things better.

Ed has perfectly replied here below to your question. Don't mess with it, sight glass could easily be broken off and the simplicity and duplicity of the GF just doesn't require one.

Hi. May I ask why it would be helpful during sparging? If you measure out all your mash & sparge water ahead of time, why worry about it? I will concede that knowing you've hit your final volume at the end of boil might be helpful, but if you know your boil off rate, that shouldn't be a problem either. I've found the formulas are pretty close to being spot on, and I've tweaked my formulas slightly to dial in my system with a Graincoat. Just asking so you don't drill a hole in your Grainfather for something you might not need. Ed

funny you should mention this... I just used mine for the first time last weekend, and also had a pretty bad stuck sparge. I was using about 30% rye which was milled finer than the rest, and this may have caused it, but I dont know if I am going back to using the extra screen. The miniscule amount of grain particle that gets through without it is not worth this much trouble. I have thought about putting an extra domed false bottom down, as someone else here has done, to see if that makes things better.

I'm going back to stock it works just fine for me. I am going to add .5 lb of ricehulls though for anything with wheat period from now on.

I know others have given feedback that the fit on the new Connect box for those upgrading wasn't great. I was ok with the box not sliding under the metal bar, but thought it was way too loose and thought it could slide out too easily when tipping. I created a spacer to go between the Connect box and the Grainfather that makes the connection snug. Still easy to slide out when you would like to, but no longer loose and wobbly. I thought I'd post a link in case any of you having this problem have access to a 3D printer and would like to use the same part: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2239450

I know others have given feedback that the fit on the new Connect box for those upgrading wasn't great. I was ok with the box not sliding under the metal bar, but thought it was way too loose and thought it could slide out too easily when tipping. I created a spacer to go between the Connect box and the Grainfather that makes the connection snug. Still easy to slide out when you would like to, but no longer loose and wobbly. I thought I'd post a link in case any of you having this problem have access to a 3D printer and would like to use the same part: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2239450
Thanks for sharing! I don't have/use a 3D printer, but the fact you're a "new guy" and you're offering a solution is great. Welcome to HBT and the obsession! Ed

Thanks for sharing! I don't have/use a 3D printer, but the fact you're a "new guy" and you're offering a solution is great. Welcome to HBT and the obsession! Ed

Thank you. I've been viewing the forums for quite a while, but don't post much (still consider myself a novice brewer). Positive feedback like this definitely encourages me want to contribute more.

I added the ability to print that part through a service for those without access to a printer, but it works out to about $20 including the shipping ($10) and handling ($5) -- for the record, none of that goes to me -- which seems pretty pricey for a piece of plastic. Pics added to that link too in case anyone wanted to see it in use.

It's definitely an obsession, I think I've been hooked for a while. :mug:

which doesnt work if you have a graincoat

I have been using an old fleece blanket wrapped around mine. Unwrap, spray, re-wrap. I was going to buy a graincoat, but the blanket has been effective brewing this winter. The boil noticeably picks up with it on.:mug:

i just use a tape measure when sparging, easy. sight glasses are a pain in the ass to clean.

Curious as to how some of you sparge for an hour or longer. I am currently sparging by heating sparge water in a pot on stove and pouring it over the grain bed with a quart measuring cup and this only takes me 10 mins.I only hit 70% efficiency and I blame most of that on my sparge.

Curious as to how some of you sparge for an hour or longer. I am currently sparging by heating sparge water in a pot on stove and pouring it over the grain bed with a quart measuring cup and this only takes me 10 mins.I only hit 70% efficiency and I blame most of that on my sparge.

That's exactly what I do. Sometimes my sparge takes 10 minutes, other times it takes all the way up until I reach boiling. I use rice hulls too on a lot of my grain bills with wheat aand stuff so I'm not sure what causes it to be so slow.

What kind of efficiency are you getting?I just broke in my new MM2 the other day,may adjust it to a more aggressive crush for next brewday.This may lend to a longer sparge and better efficiency.

I condition my grains and mill at a Barley Crusher gap of .038 with a handfull of rice hulls. Usually takes about 30ish minutes for all the sparge water to be added and I hit 80 - 85% efficiency. I'll just let it drain until close to boil.

Has anyone opened up the connect to see what is inside? I'm interested in seeing a picture of the internals.

Back