Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I asked the same thing when I bought mine recently. From my understanding, they aren't available in the states with the new controller yet. The grainfather is available from the grainfather website with the new controller, or the new controller separately, to pretty much everywhere but the states. I'm assuming it will be available here in the near future.

I just got an email a few days back from GF saying the GF Connect app for Android devices is in late Beta and on track for Christmas or a little before and the new controller is still due to be for sale in the States in January sometime/ :mug:

I just got an email a few days back from GF saying the GF Connect app for Android devices is in late Beta and on track for Christmas or a little before and the new controller is still due to be for sale in the States in January sometime/ :mug:

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll wait to pull the trigger on buying one of these. Did they happen to mention that after January all GFs sold will have the new controller? Or will it always be an upgrade/separate purchase?

As I understand it, once the new units start shipping with the new controllers, the price for a new version is going to be adjusted up by the same amount as the new controller. About $149. That's why I went ahead and pulled the trigger since 1) I can start using it now and 2) I will end up with a second temp controller to use with my sparge water kettle for the same $$ outlay.

Last edited:
I asked the same thing when I bought mine recently. From my understanding, they aren't available in the states with the new controller yet. The grainfather is available from the grainfather website with the new controller, or the new controller separately, to pretty much everywhere but the states. I'm assuming it will be available here in the near future.

During my investigation of the GF, I was reading comments about some mods by the company on the electronic side and functional part side of the unit. So I naturally wanted the new version and maybe wanted to hold off on my purchase. Howeve, upon inquiring, those comments were from folks outside the USA where the new upgrades are available from what I was told. They said - as stated above, owners of old models can upgrade to new parts and it will basically be equal if you bought it straight up new version2. I heard it would be early/mid 2017.

Like Tex said, I can brew with mine now. And if the mods are a step above helping me brew better, I will make that dive at a later date.

As I understand it, once the new units start shipping with the new controllers, the price for a new version is going to be adjusted up by the same amount as the new controller. About $149. That's why I went ahead and pulled the trigger since 1) I can start using it now and 2) I will end up with a second temp controller to use with my sparge water kettle for the same $$ outlay.

This is a mistake. They should at least offer two versions- wit & witout (philly folks will understand that!). If the only available GF is now list at 1049 that's above a psychological $1000 line. Could create pause for new customers. And with competition like the mash & brew (or whatever it's called) I'd see a 750 savings as worth it even if I need to add a few mods. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the value in PID for mash control especially with temp measurement not in the grain bed.

I just got my gf Monday night and will finally get a chance to take it through a cleaning run tonight hopefully. Then maybe a first brew day this weekend!

@PaulR-Bet you love your GF!!!!

Well, I'm sure I will, if it ever gets delivered. Had to go out of town on Saturday and missed the delivery and then we have been in a blizzard ever since. (See my previous picture post) Over the past month, I have gotten together everything I need to keg, am getting ready to put together a kegerator, and have ordered a bunch of grain and hops... Now I am stuck waiting for the grainfather to get here so I can put it all to good use. Being able to brew inside is going to help big time with the cabin fever while winter blows around outside. Current windchill, -23, was a bit nippy when I took the garbage out. Tonight's actual temperature is forecast for -17... that's without the wind. LOL :D

Well, I'm sure I will, if it ever gets delivered. Had to go out of town on Saturday and missed the delivery and then we have been in a blizzard ever since. (See my previous picture post) Over the past month, I have gotten together everything I need to keg, am getting ready to put together a kegerator, and have ordered a bunch of grain and hops... Now I am stuck waiting for the grainfather to get here so I can put it all to good use. Being able to brew inside is going to help big time with the cabin fever while winter blows around outside. Current windchill, -23, was a bit nippy when I took the garbage out. Tonight's actual temperature is forecast for -17... that's without the wind. LOL :D

Where do you live? Antarctica?

I purchased a GrainFather. I'll have to visit my LHBS and get some goodies. I'm thinking a nice amber ale and a hefeweizen to start with.

This is a mistake. They should at least offer two versions- wit & witout (philly folks will understand that!). If the only available GF is now list at 1049 that's above a psychological $1000 line. Could create pause for new customers. And with competition like the mash & brew (or whatever it's called) I'd see a 750 savings as worth it even if I need to add a few mods. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the value in PID for mash control especially with temp measurement not in the grain bed.

I like "wit"!

I hear you on new customers. But I just bought one today. The Bluetooth control and free app with beer smith integration sold me on it. The level of automation for the $1,000 range it offers is pretty cool. And as a bonus it comes with the PID upgrade.

I'm sure I'll get the upgraded controller, but I think I'll wait a few months and see how they do in the wild.

Maybe move to South Dakota? [emoji482]

If I'm moving, I'm going someplace where I never have to see snow again... I'm thinking back to Florida or something. :cool:

And relating to the actual thread topic, my Grainfather finally showed up yesterday!!! Got it all put together last night and shooting for a trial run this weekend. Then I need to get busy building up my pipeline. :mug:

If I'm moving, I'm going someplace where I never have to see snow again... I'm thinking back to Florida or something. :cool:

And relating to the actual thread topic, my Grainfather finally showed up yesterday!!! Got it all put together last night and shooting for a trial run this weekend. Then I need to get busy building up my pipeline. :mug:

Well then, welcome to indoor winter brewing! You're gonna love it!:ban:

Well then, welcome to indoor winter brewing! You're gonna love it!:ban:

Oh, I'm sure I will... Now I just need my buddy to come over and help me build my fermentation chamber, get the collar on my kegerator, and get some beer in those kegs!!! :mug:

I am having the slowest transfer with only 4oz of hops that I've ever had in 17 batches.

It was like mortar attached to the filter. I just decreased the chill water to match the decreased wort output. Only added about 15 minutes to my normal chill time.

If you whirlpool for a minute or so before you transfer, you might just be able to develop a cone of trub in the middle and then have better luck. I use a hop basket so haven't run into this issue, though I do stir and splash some of the hop trub out (always concerned about hop utilization with a basket...)

I have bags but was trying them right in the boil. Grainfather states their trials show this filter coating helps with filtering the wort. I am really thinking of some type of modification to help with the flow rates. Something like the old bazooka filters.

Speaking of a hops basket, what do you think of using something like this? http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Inch-New-...102110?hash=item4d4fab351e:g:x1QAAOSwqBJXUDTN

I have no experience with this, but two issues I'd have with this, first it looks too wide open, most of the hops will escape during the boil, secondly, unlike a hop basket, adding additional loads (and anything over an ounce or two) would be problematic. I guess you could get a few of them, but my first issue would remain.

Has anyone ever had a problem of the upper overflow pipe continuously sliding up?

Not sure what you mean by "sliding up". The upper pipe (with the 2 wire springs) has a tendency to slide down if the springs are loose. Just push them in a bit to tighten things up.

Not sure if that was what you are looking for.

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought one, too. So far, no regrets. In fact, everything went smoother than it's ever gone with my propane system. I brewed my first batch Monday, and it's finishing up fermentation now. I really like this thing!

My grain bill was only 8lbs. 10 oz., so I really should have had the micro pipework. Is everyone just ordering parts from the Grainfather website or is there a US source?

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought one, too. So far, no regrets. In fact, everything went smoother than it's ever gone with my propane system. I brewed my first batch Monday, and it's finishing up fermentation now. I really like this thing!

My grain bill was only 8lbs. 10 oz., so I really should have had the micro pipework. Is everyone just ordering parts from the Grainfather website or is there a US source?

I order from the Grainfather US site. It's all shipped out of a Los ANGELES, CA warehouse so it arrives pretty quick.

I hear you on new customers. But I just bought one today. The Bluetooth control and free app with beer smith integration sold me on it. The level of automation for the $1,000 range it offers is pretty cool. And as a bonus it comes with the PID upgrade.

So checking in on you new GF owners. First, welcome! I'm guessing you mean the new controller when it is upgraded sold you? As I read previously in these posts it wouldn't be available until 2017, correct? Curious to hear reports from those with the new controller.

Has anyone ever had a problem of the upper overflow pipe continuously sliding up?

What the hell are you talking about Sea??! :) Nope, no sliding up (or down for that matter). Just tighten up those wings, should be good to go.

Again, new GF owner, welcome, and I presume with the original controller?

It will be interesting to hear the pros of this new controller. I'm still not convinced the PID for the mash is all that, but am open and looking forward to hearing experiences... Patiently waiting....!:p

So checking in on you new GF owners. First, welcome! I'm guessing you mean the new controller when it is upgraded sold you? As I read previously in these posts it wouldn't be available until 2017, correct? Curious to hear reports from those with the new controller.

What the hell are you talking about Sea??! :) Nope, no sliding up (or down for that matter). Just tighten up those wings, should be good to go.

It will be interesting to hear the pros of this new controller. I'm still not convinced the PID for the mash is all that, but am open and looking forward to hearing experiences... Patiently waiting....!:p

I've watched a few YouTube videos on the new controller...it appears to work well...I'm thinking I'm in...buddy from Italy - Arzaman - is working on a new controller that will allow more options - the GF controller is not in NA yet...scheduled for a Jan. Feb rollout for US and then Canada...Arzamans Smart PID doesn't support iOS initially so he loses me, as I'm in the iOS ecosystem for tablet/mobile computing - five devices.

Yeah, mine has the original controller. Is the new controller eventually going to be original equipment? I just assumed it was an option. If it is going to be included, I would bet they will raise the price.

I'm not sure I know exactly what additional features are included in the new controller nor do I know I would use them. My propane system was pretty bare bones, but I never got into step mashes or that sort of thing.

I'm pretty satisfied with what it does now, but I might feel a little left out if the newer buyers got the new controller for the same price! :p

From what I understand, once the new controller hits the US it will be a standard item. Expect new grainfathers to go up in price to reflect the new controller.

For me the integration with the new recipe software and remote management and control are useful.

Yesterday I was brewing while putting kids to bed. Would have been great to get system to almost a boil while rocking the little one.

So checking in on you new GF owners. First, welcome! I'm guessing you mean the new controller when it is upgraded sold you? As I read previously in these posts it wouldn't be available until 2017, correct? Curious to hear reports from those with the new controller.p

Yup, I received my GF but haven't had a chance to run a batch. The new controller with iOS control will be awesome. Especially the delayed heating. I'll be able to grab a cup of coffee and dough in out of the gate!

I confirmed with GF that the system will go up in price the same amount of the new controller cost. So I pulled the trigger to get some brews in on it. Just gotta brain storm on where to use the spare controller now.

Back