Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you are harvesting then? You reuse that yeast you capture, it's same thing! No magic to it, I didn't when I used buckets but your approach should be fine.

Yep i done it 2 or 3x i guess. Yeah i like buckets more then carboys actually - easier to clean, fill, everything! No more carboys for this guy!

Yesterday I brewed two batches on the GF. Easy day, long but easy. I really like the GF. First was for me, a stout I made up and am calling Black Out Vanilla Stout (for now!). Started at 9am, mash @ 155 (I want 154 so +1 on GF- seems to hold best in my exp). Strike at 163- after dough in was 157 so next strike will be +6. Mash out was 175 and by end of sparge, temp was 195, boil 10 min later, and very nice boil. Cool was quick (tap temp was 51). I ran valve open 1/2 way and wort ended at 60! Cooling water out was 66-67, so I plan to dial in with cooling out water 6-7 degrees warmer than desired temp. Done a bit after 1!
Next brew was for a buddy that him and my brother ran with my advice (2 brews completed and I'm directing?! Such is the ease of the GF!). Went very well, enjoyed it and saw some football. Enjoyed home brews while brewing- I never do that!
Good day, now to planning stage for next brew!

Yep i done it 2 or 3x i guess. Yeah i like buckets more then carboys actually - easier to clean, fill, everything! No more carboys for this guy!

Yes, if I didn't get a conical last year for Christmas (didn't really need/want anything) I'd stay with buckets. Easy, work well. If I had tried harvesting from buckets I may not have gone the conical route!

Mine came in last Friday. This is Sunday night, and I'm brewing my second batch through it (1st one Saturday night I considered a trial run--it didn't come out perfectly, but good enough for 4 gallons of a London pub-type ale kit bought from my LHBS). Tonight's brew is my recipe for a Dusseldorf styled altbier (Zum Scheideweg--I can tell you it is a great beer, but only friends could back me up on the claim lol).

For anyone who is still on the fence for purchasing the GF, I can assure you that if you enjoy working with 5 gallon batches of beer fitting pretty much all sizes of grain bills, you will be just as enamored with the system as I am!
I've been brewing (off and on) since 1992...here is my review:

1. Yes, it is easy to clean;
2. Yes, I wish the electric cord and chiller hoses were longer;
3. No, don't follow the video instructions on the website as they have made some system tweeks--for USA the temp reads in fahrenheit and they changed different parts...it comes with assembly instructions so don't worry;
4. Yes, or No--I didn't buy the 'graincoat' or build a fancy jacket made out of insulation material...I live in Austin, TX and the way it came is fine;
5. Yes, use the water calculations they came up with (this caused me angst at first but dead water is crucial and they know their system, so pay attention to them as I was a gallon short on the first run);
5a. Hey, if you want to do 10 gallons, just do 2 five gallon batches as the system saves you plenty of time;
6. Yes, it makes a roaring boil (okay I put the lid on it...get a damn oven mit for crying out loud);
7. Yes, get a hop blocker for bigger IPAs, etc. and some kind of sparge water arm;
8. No, it is not aesthetically pleasing (my mom was the quintessential mid-western woman--canned her own veggies, milked her own cows, caned her own baskets & outdoor furniture, fished, hunted, brewed, quilted, etc, etc, etc...she would've scoffed this aside like she did microwaves and bread machines, but I think still woud've batted her eye of approval watching me having so much fun brewing with it);
9. YES! The ease of using this equipment lets you focus on brewing and is like having your own manual brewing robot. There are just enough features that let you (not completely) step away from brewing and do other things (my roommate insisted that I do 3 sets of military presses and cook dinner and get drunk and play Forza 5--I had ample time to do them all);
10. Step/temperture mashing: yeah, there are some who will argue decoction for certain styles, but if the Germans had electricity and this state-of-the-art equipment in the 16th century, I'm sure the Reinheitsgebot would've been just as happy with this! Decoction mashing is rewarding, but this thing makes step mashing so simple and my mash efficiency is floating around 89%;

YES!! Buy it. As quickly as we drink every keg of homebrew, we can brew three more to replace it. You will spend much more time brewing, much less time being agravated and always have an ample supply of beer (I'm guessing as I've never brewed more than one batch of beer in a two week period---day two and I'm brewing the 2nd batch)...next is our brew club's Pliny clone, and at some point I plan on taking a vacation in order to ferment Dogfish Head's 120 IPA...among many others...

Well, this is my one GF post, so I hope it is helpful :)

I can't agree with number #8 but i love the GF - I rank it the 2nd best money i ever spent(disposal) - eye surgery being number 1.

I really didn't want the hassle of building my own electric system - i wanted to learn about homebrew!

I finished up a kettle soured Berliner Weisse in the Grainfather yesterday and was amazed at how simple the process was! Mashed 8lbs of grain, brought it down to 110degrees, pitched uncrushed grain, let sit for a day, checked ph, sparged and boiled! The Grainfather held the temperature at 110 with no effort and allowed the mash to sour beautifully. If you haven't tried doing a Berliner Weisse in your GF, do it! So easy!

I have done several batches and varied several things. Here's my observations:

1) Yes an extension cord will impact the boil. (It's physics...proven.) Avoid them if possible and your boil will be more satisfying.
2) While the capacity may be 8 gallons, boils above 7 gallons will not roll without the cover and then they roll to boil over....so you will have to play with the cover on (slightly off is what I do) if you have a large boil or settle for the gentle boil and decrease the boil off....
3) If you turn the pump on and then off after a couple seconds, you prime it and it works quickly on response.
4) Craftmeister tablets work great with recirculated 135F water to clean up. Turn on and come back in an hour or longer.
5) We have found it fairly easy to remove grain from the mash for a decoction mash on an Octobefest by lifting the basket partially out and removing grain with a small scoop....takes two people but it works.

Comments in our store have been nothing but positive! One brewer (who also brews for a local restaurant on a barrel system) dumped all his equipment from propane (sanke kegs, pumps, burners, etc) and swears he will use nothing but this for his personal brewing. It has freed up plenty of time so that he's now slanting yeast instead of cleaning.

Yeah I'd disagree w/#8 above as well, even with my reflectix coat its nice looking!

For #3 I'd add the video is helpful if not current, so use along with the written instructions that are current.

We all agree we're a satisfied crew here with this purchase! Now onto my dedicated basement brew area build (with ability to brew outside the basement door when this weather gets better) and, but of course, to the next brew plan.

Cheers! :mug:

So I just did an immersion chiller test on 4 gallons of boiling water in the Grainfather and here's the results, if anyone is interested:

Well, mixed feeling about the results here. It cooled like a bat outta hell down to below 140 degrees F, but once it got down to around 80F it was slow as hell. Here's the results, starting at boiling at 4:30PM. Tap water is around 65F:

200*: 4:31 pm
170*: 4:32 pm
140*: 4:34 pm
100*: 4:38 pm
80*: 4:42 pm
74*: 4:45 pm

I stopped the test there as didn't want to keep wasting water. Total time to get 4 gallons of water from boiling to 74* was 15 minutes.

Verdict: I think I will cool using this from now on. It may take a little longer and use a bit more water (which I'll collect for cleaning), but it's so much easier and sanitary. If I daisy-chained another IC in an ice bath, I have no doubt I could cool the entire batch in less than ten minutes. The only pain in the ass I foresee is when I add my whirlpool additions below 170 degrees. May just have to pull the IC out and put in starsan bucket, throw the hops in, cover, then put the IC back in when steeping period is over. What do you guys think?

Use one IC with quick disconnects. Sanitize it by boiling it. Then turn on ground water until down to 90 ish. Then switch hoses to an ice water bath, fed by an inexpensive fountain pump. You can get it as cool as you need to pitch (~65 degrees). No need for another IC or sanitizing it - the QD's make life very easy.

Also, if you want to hopstand, chill a bit then turn the ground water off. Dump your hops and hold temp or turn ground water back on and continue chilling.

I'm guessing the reason to go the IC route is fear of sanitary chiller? I'm ok with the 10 min run boil thru chiller to sanitize method along with a good cleaning at the end. Have you encountered issues with keeping the CFC clean? I like the CFC better than the IC. Neater and just as quick, and WAY easier (no moving the IC around to keep contact with hot wort).

Use one IC with quick disconnects. Sanitize it by boiling it. Then turn on ground water until down to 90 ish. Then switch hoses to an ice water bath, fed by an inexpensive fountain pump. You can get it as cool as you need to pitch (~65 degrees). No need for another IC or sanitizing it - the QD's make life very easy.

Also, if you want to hopstand, chill a bit then turn the ground water off. Dump your hops and hold temp or turn ground water back on and continue chilling.

That's exactly what I used to do! Was easy and quick enough but you still had to babysit it and work it. Plus you then still had to dump the BK into fermenter. I like the CFC going right into my conical. Easy.

Well, I agree there. Just saying to aghenender if using IC he could do it easily with the one.

Yeah, no. No question one pass CFC is mo' betta, IMO.

:off: love the Viszla avatar! Had to put my 14yo down last summer. She was a great dog and will get another one some day.

Doing a Maibock today. Grainfather brew #2 for me. God, it's so relaxed. Measured and ground my grains while the mash was heating. After dough in, turned on the recirculation pump and walked away. Inside having a leisurely lunch of bratwurst, hash browns, spiced rum cake, and espresso. In about an hour, gonna go back out and leisurely start my sparge. Can I throw in the words leisurely and relaxed again? :) Going to sip and enjoy a glass of Saison while boiling. Does it get any better than this?

My first brew wasn't smooth. The heating element didn't boil the wort because of the protection mechanism was triggered. There was burnt wort at the bottom of the GrainFather, which might result in high temperature to trigger the break.
I think it is because the gravity of the wort was a little higher (it was Belgian Tripel), and I might put the heating element in NORMAL position instead of MASH to speed heating.

Although I was successful for my second brew, I now run into another issue. the temperature control unit, which is a ETC-512B, shows OFF and temperature reading intermittently. It seems like to be in OFF status and doesn't control the heating element. The heating element works fine if I control it by put the switch in "Boil" position. I am looking for solution before sending it back.
Thanks in advance.

Both issues are foreign to me. For the burnt wort I'd suggest you scrape the bottom as suggested by GF. But that triggered a shut off of the element seems surprising unless one huge cake of burnt wort there! So it boiled fine the next time? I'd call GF on the 2nd issue (that's a problem) and mention the first. A swap out of controllers seems in order. I've run 3 batches thru with no issues. Good luck!

Hey GF crew, I've read a thread regarding recirculation here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568738&page=3

and am sharing to see if anyone has considered or completed a no sparge with the GF. Sure no sparge with the GF will not save time (sparge while getting to a boil) but holding a more constant sparge temp could produce a more consistent beer. During the slow sparge method of the GF (unlike a batch sparge where you add water all at once) the temp will begin to drop, without some control. I've planned a direct gravity feed to sparge with a HLT on a small elevated hot plate to hold temps, but thinking about no sparge too. It may be all academic, but curious if anyone has thought about:

1) No sparge with GF- and if so, have you tried it, how much volume and how did it go?

2) How do you hold temp in your HLT while you sparge, likely for 20+ min, right? Or you just let it roll? (as I did and it wasn't too far off)

I brewed a "Tiny" by weyerbacher clone. no sparge was used due to the massive grain bill (3 gallon batch, using 6 gallons of strike water). Got 65% mash eff with no issues using rice hulls.

I also brewed a normal pale ale without a sparge (laziness) and got 76% eff, but with a very fine crush that stuck the mash. If I used rice hulls it may of helped. I'm guessing for a normal brew with a normal crush, you can figure on 70-73% eff not using a sparge. However, remember your mash will be thinner, similar to a eBIAB setup.

Both issues are foreign to me. For the burnt wort I'd suggest you scrape the bottom as suggested by GF. But that triggered a shut off of the element seems surprising unless one huge cake of burnt wort there! So it boiled fine the next time? I'd call GF on the 2nd issue (that's a problem) and mention the first. A swap out of controllers seems in order. I've run 3 batches thru with no issues. Good luck!

I used PBW, and the burt wort fell off in a strip shape. I then realized that the burnt wort might be the cause of element shutting off.
I've called GF on the second issue, sending it back is their suggestion. I am looking for help so that I can use it in a short time.

Ggt started a bit late but no big deal.I am doing an amber ale today recipe for the mad scientist method is as follows.

7 pounds pale ale
1 pound crystal 60
1 pound honey malt
1.5 pounds carastan

For hops
1 ounce warrior for 60
1 ounce chinook for 30
1 ounce falconers flight for 15 with another ounce at flame out.

Safale US-05 whipped up on the stir plate.

RMCB

Doing a Maibock today. Grainfather brew #2 for me. God, it's so relaxed. Measured and ground my grains while the mash was heating. After dough in, turned on the recirculation pump and walked away. Inside having a leisurely lunch of bratwurst, hash browns, spiced rum cake, and espresso. In about an hour, gonna go back out and leisurely start my sparge. Can I throw in the words leisurely and relaxed again? :) Going to sip and enjoy a glass of Saison while boiling. Does it get any better than this?

Yeah it really is a very simple system. Set and forget - for a little while anyhow. :)

The relatively slow heating times are a blessing in disguise IMO because you have plenty of time to do things like getting the grains, hops, fermenter, yeast etc ready!

I used PBW, and the burt wort fell off in a strip shape. I then realized that the burnt wort might be the cause of element shutting off.
I've called GF on the second issue, sending it back is their suggestion. I am looking for help so that I can use it in a short time.

I should've said scrapping during the hot break to avoid the burning wort, not to clean it! :) if you're just returning the controller you might be able to direct plug the element in as well as the pump when needed? Otherwise you will need patience until it's returned. (Got nuttin else for ya).

Haven't really done any research on this but kinda love watching videos of people brewing with this. Is this suitable for use in an apartment? I know nothing about electricity haha. It just sucks having to have a place in a small apartment to store a big 10 gallon megapot, 5 gallons pots for sparge/mash water, mash tun, a chiller, etc. I feel like with this I could store everything a lot easier, and when we buy a house in a few years I would already have a good majority of my electric basement brewery complete haha.

Yeah the chiller and "mash tun" just go in the main boiler. Its a genius system for simplicity i believe.

It should work fine in an apartment. Of course you still need a pot for sparge water, unless you do a no sparge full volume mash - which i've been thinking about for small batchs.

Is it possible to boil 6-6.5 gallons?

No problem IME. However, it probably won't be what your used to with a propane burner.

I made 2 batchs so far and they are easily the best homebrew i ever made. I only have brewed 3 AG batches - the other was stovetop BIAB.

For more context i done at least a few dozen DME, crystal and hop boils with an aluminum pot and propane burner. Maybe 2 or 3 batchs compared to my 2 GF batchs.

No problem IME. However, it probably won't be what your used to with a propane burner.

I made 2 batchs so far and they are easily the best homebrew i ever made. I only have brewed 3 AG batches - the other was stovetop BIAB.

For more context i done at least a few dozen DME, crystal and hop boils with an aluminum pot and propane burner. Maybe 2 or 3 batchs compared to my 2 GF batchs.

I boil 6.5 gallons on my gas stove so it's not very vigorous anyways. I'm just tired of lifting a 10 gallon pot of hot wort and putting it on my burner. Going to throw my back out soon :p Highly, highly considering this.

I boil 6.5 gallons on my gas stove so it's not very vigorous anyways. I'm just tired of lifting a 10 gallon pot of hot wort and putting it on my burner. Going to throw my back out soon :p Highly, highly considering this.

Thats another sweet thing about the GF you just use the pump to get the wort in the fermenter!

I plan on trying to max out the GF this week - i was going to brew something around 1.090 but then i'm going to dilute it down to 1.050. I think i'll get close to 10 gallons.

Is this suitable for use in an apartment?

IMO the GF is the most ideal solution for an apartment. 110v = you can plug it in in your kitchen. Very compact all-in-one unit = easy to lift, move and store. I really can't think of a way it could be improved upon for that situation.

IMO the GF is the most ideal solution for an apartment. 110v = you can plug it in in your kitchen. Very compact all-in-one unit = easy to lift, move and store. I really can't think of a way it could be improved upon for that situation.

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks! Any other thoughts or opinions are appreciated. I may have to start saving or just say eff it and put it on the plastic..

Can anyone tell me how long the power cord is?

You're getting great advice here from these guys. Power cord is 5' long and comes out of controller about 1.5' off floor, so you may be able to get to an outlet on counter top.

This is absolutely the answer for an apt brewer! Add to all that, its a fine looking machine too. I added reflectix to assist in the boil, as you consider that the boiler is not super thick (certainly quality and fine enough) so the heat will dissipate easily. I first put pipe insulation (cut lengthwise in half) butt end to end (taped to itself, not to GF) on the GF in 3 spots, bottom, top, middle; then put two separate wraps of reflectix over top with command strips (Velcro) to hold together- wraps did not end at same place for better insulation. I think with the air space it adds to the R value. I get a fine boil!

Buy it, buy it now!! I think you will love it! :mug:

You're getting great advice here from these guys. Power cord is 5' long and comes out of controller about 1.5' off floor, so you may be able to get to an outlet on counter top.

This is absolutely the answer for an apt brewer! Add to all that, its a fine looking machine too. I added reflectix to assist in the boil, as you consider that the boiler is not super thick (certainly quality and fine enough) so the heat will dissipate easily. I first put pipe insulation (cut lengthwise in half) butt end to end (taped to itself, not to GF) on the GF in 3 spots, bottom, top, middle; then put two separate wraps of reflectix over top with command strips (Velcro) to hold together- wraps did not end at same place for better insulation. I think with the air space it adds to the R value. I get a fine boil!

Buy it, buy it now!! I think you will love it! :mug:

You sold me. My only concern is I wont reach my outlet in the counter. One way to find out I guess.

Thats another sweet thing about the GF you just use the pump to get the wort in the fermenter!

I plan on trying to max out the GF this week - i was going to brew something around 1.090 but then i'm going to dilute it down to 1.050. I think i'll get close to 10 gallons.

Seabrew, agree on the chiller too. I'm interested in hearing how the high gravity brew goes (how many # of grain? to get to 1.090 for your recipe?). I'm not sure I'd want to "water" it down, but will be interested in what you think. I look forward to hearing your results. I am brewing this weekend, for my brother, and one of my next 3 brews I'm thinking of will be a barley wine. I was thinking in the 4g range if I needed to keep grain bill size down, though maybe 18-18.5# should be fine for 5, I haven't looked into it yet.

I had one of my Golden Promise Mosaic smash I made after one week in the bottle. One fine beer, and surprising given its age. Looking forward to it this weekend, as well as when my Black Out Vanilla Stout is done (will age on bourbon soaked vanilla beans, a first for me) :)

If you put it right up against the counter, you shouldn't have a problem. Also, although some might advise against it, you can also use the shortest, heaviest-Guage extension cord you can find and be OK, too. Look for a "power tool " extension cord which are usually the heaviest duty available.

Latest posts

Back