Grainfather!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks, i have this chlorine and TSP cleaner - its pink! Can i use this to clean the GF and run it through the pump?

The instructions recommend using PBW for first clean. Also, I'm new to all this, but shouldn't anything with Chlorine stay far away from stainless steel? I believe it pits it easily. I used TSP to clean my stainless steel fermenters, so that's probably OK to use, but I would just use PBW as instructed if I were you.

Did my first batch a week ago. I got lazy since I was short on time and aimed at doing a 3 gallon batch without a sparge (like an eBIAB). Used a little over 4 gallons of water to mash in. I crushed very fine expecting low mash eff, which ended up getting me a stuck mash when I pulled up the basket after 60 min. I had to fish out the top mesh of grain basket and stir to get it to drain. Ended up with 73% eff. Not too bad for not sparging and having the mash stuck. Don't think I will go that route again, but it would work ok if I didn't crush the grain so fine. Overall, it worked as expected. Great for quick, smaller batches. It held mash temp great and I'm a big fan of the chiller.

The one thing that I didn't account for was that by using such a thin mash, my yeast attenuation ended up at 86%! It appears to be finished at 1.006 on a target of 1.011 and is one dry Pale Ale.

The instructions recommend using PBW for first clean. Also, I'm new to all this, but shouldn't anything with Chlorine stay far away from stainless steel? I believe it pits it easily. I used TSP to clean my stainless steel fermenters, so that's probably OK to use, but I would just use PBW as instructed if I were you.

Yeah i don't have PBW though. I guess i will just use some oxi-clean.

GF was naked, and the the lid was on.
The plug was not too hot. Everything was fine except the temperature fell before boiling. After pumping the wort into a kettle (the pump worked while the heating elements didn't), I tried to find the reset switch at the bottom of GF, indicated in the GF FAQ video. I shouldn't have pushed it before I test it again.
Surely I would return if it fails again.

Odd, pump worked so you had electric to unit. Reset button must be for the heater element only, not the whole unit. I'd email GF to confirm that theory given your experience. I've only heard good things about their customer service. Put them to the test. It could be flawed and need to be replaced.

That sucks you've had a bad starting experience. I would try to get on a 20A circuit (forgot if you were on 15A?) and I'd put some reflectix on there. I had mine w/o reflectix when I cleaned it the first time, heated up to 130 or 140 and the outside was hot! With the thin sidewall I'd bet it gets damn hot when you approach boiling and all this heat is dissipating, so best to trap it. I used pipe insulation, split lengthwise in half, under the reflectix at the top, bottom and middle of the unit, taped at the butt ends with electrical tape (no tape on GF). It stuck like glue to the GF! Then it was quite easy to still wrap 2 layers of reflectix around- I did it in two separate wraps, each terminating in different areas so as to overlap, and both secured with command strips. Easy to remove if desired. Quite cool I thought, and efficient!:) I hope to hear better luck for you. Cheers!

Well, my GF is on the FedEx truck and on its way to my house. I wish I didn't have to work tonight. I'd love to mess around with it.
I ordered a GrainCoat from the GF website, but I never got a confirmation email or shipping number. So, I don't really know what's up with that. Has anyone else ordered from their site? Is that just how they do it?

Well, my GF is on the FedEx truck and on its way to my house. I wish I didn't have to work tonight. I'd love to mess around with it.
I ordered a GrainCoat from the GF website, but I never got a confirmation email or shipping number. So, I don't really know what's up with that. Has anyone else ordered from their site? Is that just how they do it?

My GF is on a FedEx truck AND I ordered the graincoat Monday with no shipping info as well. Did we just become best friends? YUP!!

I think the graincoat is coming from California. They give preference to West Coast over East Coast. Here's to hoping it works as good as the reflectix! I'm hoping to post times with and without the graincoat because I couldn't find that info anywhere!

My GF is on a FedEx truck AND I ordered the graincoat Monday with no shipping info as well. Did we just become best friends? YUP!!

Ok so it's not that they don't like me then. I won't have time to brew until next week anyways, so a few extra days on the GrainCoat won't hurt me. I hope I have it by next week though.
Good luck with the test runs GF best friend!

It has arrived! Everything looks to be in good condition. I'm gonna put it together now. Thanks again everyone for helping talk me into buying the GrainFather. I'm pretty excited!

Did my first brew on the GF yesterday. The thing is awesome! It's easier than extract batches! I put the mash in and then met a client for lunch. Came back and wort was clear and beautiful, ready for sparging. It took a while to get to boil but hopefully the grain coat will help. Oddly they don't sell reflectix at my local big box stores. I love brewing inside - the whole house smells delicious.

I'm boiling my first brew now - The boil is fine here. I have no insulation and no idea what amps is on the circuit - i assume 15.

I'm doing a 13lbs grain bill but i have a nice bit of grain in the wort - i assume its the grain crush?

All an all this thing is a breeze to work with with so far! This is my second ever AG batch!

My boil is holding steady at 101C. I'm pretty pleased its a medium boil i guess you can call it.

I had big problem with the filter it took me over a hour to get the wort cooled and into the bucket. But its 1.056! Smells awesome!

So my GF is up and running. Breeze to put together, aside from the false bottom. I was about to throw it across the room after 5 tries of the rubber gasket flipping off. But a little dish soap and it slides right into place. So would I be ok with running the packet of pbw through the system with 4 gallons of water?

So would I be ok with running the packet of pbw through the system with 4 gallons of water?

I just ran about 2 gallons of my normal PBW through and heated it up to 130F. Then recirculated for about 10 minutes and then did the same with rinse water.

Nothing yet. Nothing in an email or at the house. I might call them if I haven't heard or seen anything by next Monday.

Maybe that's how they do business. It shows I ordered it on the website. Just no confirmation or shipping info. I'd like to brew next Thursday. Hope I have it by then.

Maybe that's how they do business. It shows I ordered it on the website. Just no confirmation or shipping info. I'd like to brew next Thursday. Hope I have it by then.

Did you get an order #? I got that on the screen when I ordered it but none of the other stuff. I'm holding them to the 10 "business" day maximum. Which seems pretty intense to begin with for US shipping.

Did you get an order #? I got that on the screen when I ordered it but none of the other stuff. I'm holding them to the 10 "business" day maximum. Which seems pretty intense to begin with for US shipping.

There is an order number when I check previous orders on my account. I kinda figured it was coming from New Zealand

So my GF is up and running. Breeze to put together, aside from the false bottom. I was about to throw it across the room after 5 tries of the rubber gasket flipping off. But a little dish soap and it slides right into place. So would I be ok with running the packet of pbw through the system with 4 gallons of water?
Slide the sleeve in first and get it wet then put the false bottom in when you do your brew. I felt like playing frisbee with them at first too. It was smooth sailing on brew day.
Yes 4 gallons is fine. Run the pbw for 30-45 minutes spray it around the whole unit and then hook up the chiller and do the 30-45 again. Then rinse with the same temp water, I use 120 degrees for the same amount of time.

Don't use soap - it might be difficult to get it out despite a PBW wash. Use water or properly mixed Star San solution sprayed via a spray bottle.

I could see the GF being very addicting. Just cleaning it and running it was fun. I had a couple hiccups, but no real problems. At one point, the pump was running but water was just trickling out. I shut the pump, blew into the output tube and it worked fine. Another problem is the nut from the chiller that screws onto the output tube has to be aligned a certain way. It took me a couple tries to get it right after almost cross threading it. Thats really it. Ran hot pbw through all the parts, used the output tube on the chiller to spray it around everything, rinsed it and put it away. How are you guys ensuring theres no water left in the element housing? I'm not crazy about not having access to that section. Or is there a way to get in there and dry everything up good?

I could see the GF being very addicting. Just cleaning it and running it was fun. I had a couple hiccups, but no real problems. At one point, the pump was running but water was just trickling out. I shut the pump, blew into the output tube and it worked fine. Another problem is the nut from the chiller that screws onto the output tube has to be aligned a certain way. It took me a couple tries to get it right after almost cross threading it. Thats really it. Ran hot pbw through all the parts, used the output tube on the chiller to spray it around everything, rinsed it and put it away. How are you guys ensuring theres no water left in the element housing? I'm not crazy about not having access to that section. Or is there a way to get in there and dry everything up good?

Pushing down on the output tube makes screwing the knob on easier. It pushes the check valve down. For the pump just shutting it off and turning back on will correct the flow.

so how are you guys checking your mash ph with the GF? I want to start doing this but rather learn some ways how to first. I have ph meter I am going to use but need to get some of the liquid out and cool before I can measure as I understand. any advice is appreciated. thank you!

Pushing down on the output tube makes screwing the knob on easier. It pushes the check valve down. For the pump just shutting it off and turning back on will correct the flow.

You beat me to it Gotbeer!
Yeah, need to push down for both hookups to the discharge tube. Also, I needed to add an extra o ring (thankfully supplied) to the recirc end, it just kept leaking.

Anyone brewing on the US version with no insulation and at sea level? I really don't want to wait a possible 2 more weeks for the GrainCoat. Might run a test boil today.

Anyone brewing on the US version with no insulation and at sea level? I really don't want to wait a possible 2 more weeks for the GrainCoat. Might run a test boil today.

Ran a test boil last night with 6 gallons of tap water. Couldn't wait for graincoat either. I'm in Houston so sea level for sure. On a 20a outlet, cause that's what I read here and no insulatin. Also had it recirculating with lid on. My times were:

0min = 68
30min = 117
60min = 162
90min = 203
105min = 212 (boil) was a satisfying boil I thought.

Took lid off and continued to boil, didn't subside.

I'm going to check these times vs the graincoat when I get it. Hope this helps.

Ran a test boil last night with 6 gallons of tap water. Couldn't wait for graincoat either. I'm in Houston so sea level for sure. On a 20a outlet, cause that's what I read here and no insulatin. Also had it recirculating with lid on. My times were:

0min = 68
30min = 117
60min = 162
90min = 203
105min = 212 (boil) was a satisfying boil I thought.

Took lid off and continued to boil, didn't subside.

I'm going to check these times vs the graincoat when I get it. Hope this helps.

It sure does! Thanks! I was thinking of running a test later today. I might brew Sunday. Then see how much better it is with the GrainCoat when it comes in. My keg is getting low!

Just an FYI, it took me 4-5 days to get my graincoat after I ordered off Grainfather.com. I live in CA. You guys won't have to wait long (unless they are back ordered)

Yes. I've just been wrapping it in a big beach towel to provide a little insulation until the graincoat gets here. It takes a while to get to temp but you hardly notice because you can be doing other things. Even the towel probably isn't necessary but it keeps a little bit of the heat from warming up the kitchen.

Its boils fine here. I can walk to the atlantic ocean in 5 min. :) About 45min from 75C to 101C. It holds 101C like a rock for me.

I have my second brew ramping up to boil now. It takes about 30min for nearly all the sparge water to drain from the grain basket anyhow - it works fine. I just hope i don't have any pump issues this time.

It sure does! Thanks! I was thinking of running a test later today. I might brew Sunday. Then see how much better it is with the GrainCoat when it comes in. My keg is getting low!

Just a heads up, came home to GrainCoat on the doorstep! Yours should be coming soon!!

Latest posts

Back