Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allentwnguy

Reaction score
Those leftovers! I try to brew using up everything but sometimes you only have to use a little bit. Black barley comes to mind. And those half and quarter pound bags! Grab one the wrong way and what a mess!

Here's what I've come up with. A brew bucket and Ball mason jars, and when I set up a brew house a shelf. Everyone has a bucket and I got the Wide mouth Ball mason jars on e-bay. 12 Wide Mouth Quart and 12 Wide Mouth Pint jars delivered for $16ea. Pints will hold 1/2lb and quarts up to a little over a lb. Shaking settles and you can hold a bit more. Most bags of grain come with a label. Cut the label off tare the jar on your scale, add the grain and put the new weight on the label (labels can be "adjusted several times before cutting another.) Throw it in the jar and seal. It's air tight and keeps bugs out. 10 quart jars can fit into the pail with 3 pint jars in the middle. On brew day the bucket is my milling bucket. After it's cleaned the unused jars go back in for storage. No need to wash empty jars as only dried grain is stored in them.

I hope this helps someone, lord knows I've gleaned my fair share from these forums!!!

IMG_20150324_114959_072.jpg

That's certainly gonna be airtight. I have that chromed steel wire rack from Lowe's/Home Depot that I put two dunnage containers on the bottom shelf of. One for grains in their bags ( Maillard Malt zip locks) & the other for dextrose, DME & the like.
You can see the dunnage containers in this pic a lil bit.

Back