Storing Barley Malt Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNAndy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Due to, ahem, various current world circumstances, I think it might be a good idea to buy barley malt extract in bulk and store it for the future. I'm looking at one website that sells BME powder in 50 pound bags. I bet there are others.

If you buy in bulk and store BME for future use, what format do you use? (IE. Mason jars, mylar bags, leave it in the large bag it came in, etc.) Do you do any processing on the BME before you store it? (IE. run it through a freeze dryer, dehydrator, etc.) I probably need to use an oxygen absorber in each container, right?

Does anyone know how much a quart of BME weighs? I'm leaning toward Mason jars (but not committed) and I'm wondering how many quart jars I'd need to hold 50 pounds of BME.

Do you have any other suggestions for long term storage of BME?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge or advice you can share. (I'm hoping to grow my own hops. I'll ask about storing them later.)

You could store much more in 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids.
Thanks! That would certainly help with long long-term-storage. I guess I could repackage into smaller containers as I get ready to use it.

Do you know how many pounds of BME will fit into a 5 gallon bucket?

Thanks! That would certainly help with long long-term-storage. I guess I could repackage into smaller containers as I get ready to use it.

Do you know how many pounds of BME will fit into a 5 gallon bucket?

Sorry, I don't know what the density is for that, but someone else might have a figure. I do know that I can fit about 25# of grain in 5 gallons, and I would think DME is more dense than that.

You could keep smaller amounts in Mason jars for short term needs.

Vacuum Seal bags seem like my first choice. Assuming you do not mind the investment. The come with the advantage that you can reseal them. so a bag can be accessed, a partial amount removed and deal up what is left over.

Mason jars are not bad, but I would feel I had to pack them full to purge as much air from the can as you could.

What would I do with a 1/2 jar of DME? Probably put a layer of Saran Wrap over the top of DME and minimize the surface area of DME that is directly exposed to air.

is my Saran Wrap solution perfect? No. But I
am going to believe it is better than a jar that is 1/2 full of air.

You can get attachments to vac-seal wide and narrow mouth jars.
They work exceedingly well, as long as you use authentic Ball or Mason lids. At the beginning of Covid and the supply shortages of canning products, I ordered a bunch of wide mouth and narrow mouth lids. I've always had perfect luck with authentic lids sealing with the Food Saver vacuum jar device but never got ONE of the Alibaba knock off lids to work. I can't trust them to seal with hot water or pressure canning for tomatoes, etc., so I ended up with about 300 useless canning lids. At least I'm able to find Mason lids now.

They work exceedingly well, as long as you use authentic Ball or Mason lids. At the beginning of Covid and the supply shortages of canning products, I ordered a bunch of wide mouth and narrow mouth lids. I've always had perfect luck with authentic lids sealing with the Food Saver vacuum jar device but never got ONE of the Alibaba knock off lids to work. I can't trust them to seal with hot water or pressure canning for tomatoes, etc., so I ended up with about 300 useless canning lids. At least I'm able to find Mason lids now.

I've had good luck with the name brand lids. Never tried the knockoffs, I won't, thanks for the heads-up.

The Foodsaver only pulls about 20" vacuum, so still about 1/3 of the air remains, but it helps reduce oxidative effects. Minimizing headspace helps.

I do buy the knockoff bag rolls on Amazon, they work great. The Foodsaver brand bags are too spendy.

I do buy the knockoff bag rolls on Amazon, they work great. The Foodsaver brand bags are too spendy.
Man, you got that right. We use the Food Saver a lot, for freezing bulk food purchases and especially in sous vide cooking. Those proprietary bag rolls get downright expensive. But the sure do work. A rack of ribs in 150F water for 36 hours, it BETTER not leak!

Man, you got that right. We use the Food Saver a lot, for freezing bulk food purchases and especially in sous vide cooking. Those proprietary bag rolls get downright expensive. But the sure do work. A rack of ribs in 150F water for 36 hours, it BETTER not leak!

I've had good results with the FoodVacBags brand on Amazon. Much cheaper than the Foodsaver brand.

I would do as others suggested and use vacuum seal bags and then put the bags in 5 gallon buckets with a little desicant. I do this for all my prepping. I also use the lids that are hard as hell to open and close. I have a tool for them that helps. Those lids have good round seals that I take out and clean real well before putting up a bucket.
I have put jars of stuff in a warm oven to help drive off some moisture before sealing.

Back