Good yeast for Maibock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axelkahuna

Reaction score
Hi All,
Making a Maibock:

2 - 3.3 lb cans amber LME
1 - 3.3lb can light LME
1lb light DME
2lbs Vienna malt + 1lb cara-pils - steeped
Schedule of Tettnanger for bittering (30 IBU)
OG 1.077 - FG 1.019 ABV = 7.5% (according to calculator at TastyBrew.com)

Looking for a yeast that will accentuate the malt character and yet be alcohol tolerant - suggestions ?

First, can I comment on the recipe? I'd change it up, and lose the amber extract. Instead, I'd use light and get color and flavor from the grains. Remember that Vienna malt is a base malt and must be mashed (not steeped), so hold that at 153-155 degrees for 60 minutes. If you're open to more ideas or changes, I have some further thoughts.

Anyway, my favorite maibock strain is WLP833.

Ferment at 50 degrees until the SG is about 1.025, then raise to diacetyl rest temperatures for 48 hours, and then lager for 7-8 weeks at 34 degrees.

the all grain variant is 5lb German Munich, 4 lbs German Pilsner, 2 lbs Vienna, 1/2 lb cara pils - og - 1.078, fg 1.020, ABV = 7.5%

I do realize the Vienna must be mashed, was just putting together ideas for a high gravity, malty, luscious, Maibock and would welcome ideas.

What pitch rate for yeast do you suggest ?

the all grain variant is 5lb German Munich, 4 lbs German Pilsner, 2 lbs Vienna, 1/2 lb cara pils - og - 1.078, fg 1.020, ABV = 7.5%

I do realize the Vienna must be mashed, was just putting together ideas for a high gravity, malty, luscious, Maibock and would welcome ideas.

What pitch rate for yeast do you suggest ?

Yes, that's a nice recipe.

So, in order to do an extract version, consider:

2 cans of Munich LME
1 can pilsner LME

Add two of those cans at flame out, stirring well.

I would use the Munich extract instead of doing a partial mash of Vienna malt, for a maibock. Munich is one of THE characters you'll pick up in a maibock, and I would not leave it out. NO carapils, as it's not needed as is a "filler" here.

As far as pitching rates, George Fix states about 1.5 million for every milliliter of wort, for every degree plato, for a lager.

Yooper's right on about the recipe.

I used WY2206 (Bavarian lager) for my last Maibock, and it turned out great.

Yes, that's a nice recipe.

So, in order to do an extract version, consider:

2 cans of Munich LME
1 can pilsner LME

Add two of those cans at flame out, stirring well.

I would use the Munich extract instead of doing a partial mash of Vienna malt, for a maibock. Munich is one of THE characters you'll pick up in a maibock, and I would not leave it out. NO carapils, as it's not needed as is a "filler" here.

As far as pitching rates, George Fix states about 1.5 million for every milliliter of wort, for every degree plato, for a lager.

That's what I did on my last one, except had the amounts flipped with 2:1 pilsner.

I also did a pound of Vienna and Munich in a mini mash.

I used Wyeast 1007. Yes, an ale yeast! It turned out great.

I guess with lager yeast I would try 2308.

Back