Going to San Diego for a week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxStout

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Leaving tomorrow (I'm stoked, as I'm ditching the cold for a while). Will be staying with family in Santee. Looking for some new breweries to check out nearby. Here are the ones I've already been to on past trips:

Stone
Ballast Point
Helm's Brewing
Green Flash
Societe
Twisted Manzanita
White Labs tasting room
B&S Brewing & Distilling
Butcher's Brewing

Any good ideas?

Modern times.... get down on some fortunate island... maybe port? But that's outside of san diego.. wish I had been more informed when I was there 2 years ago....

Alesmith (highly recommended), Pizza Port (try the imperial IPA!), Carl Straus...

Definitely hit up Pizza Port. I don't know where Santee is, but my friends live in OB and You could hang out there and get good beer at all the bars and restaurants on the drag.

Great fish tacos at South Beach (restaurant), and hit up Hodads if you haven't. Pizza Port is right around the corner.
Can't remember the name of the pizza joint across from South Beach but good late night pizza and great beer selection.

Have you been to both Stones? New one is pretty frickin cool

I know you asked for breweries so sorry I wasn't more helpful

Alpine Beer Co is fairly close to Santee. It's a can't miss if you're an IPA fan. Also, Saint Archer is doing some really nice things and have a nice, laid back tasting room. Their new IPA and DIPA are tremendous IMO.

Mission had some good stuff when I went in October. It's right across from Petco park. You can walk to barley mash from there for dinner. All of their menu items have beer or some type of liquor included in the recipe. Really good. Just don't stay too late. The parking lot across from mission turns into tent city at night and it's super sketchy.

Since you're gonna be in Santee, I'd say alpine is a must. I can basically map you through san Diego breweries depending on your schedule. Born and raised here in SD. PM me if you have any questions

Up in Carlsbad there is On The Tracks and Arcana Brewing.
Oh, in San Marcos there is StumbleFoot. All smaller breweries but great quality.

I can't forget Mother Earth Brewing in Vista. Huge tasting room and a home brew supply shop next door.

I am going to second Hess Brewing in North Park. Small but great brewery. The place can get a little crowded, but it is an awesome setup.

Theres a ton of breweries popping up in the North Park/South Park area. I can think of Mike Hess, Rip Current, Belching Beaver, Stone, Modern Times, and Thorn Street. Then you have the opposite end of the city with all the breweries in Vista/Oceanside

Aside from all the bigger breweries there tons of super small brewpubs that are fun to check out. Stone and pizza port are mandatory in my book. They have this cool little map of breweries and good beer bars they hand out all over down there. Have fun!

Back