San Diego Bachelor Party - Breweries

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Toy

Reaction score
We are heading out to San Diego for a Bachelor Party in September and one of our primary goals is to spend a day checking out the breweries. I have been down before for exactly that reason and know that there is a lot to choose from. I am not interested in doing a pre-arranged tour.

What breweries would you recommend that we visit and is there anything else in that vein that we should check out? Our 2 MUST visits are Green Flash and Ballast Point. And bear in mind that we are all in our 30's and 40's, so a trip south of the border is not in the books ;)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :mug:

Never been there, but I've heard great things about the new Stone location. Also, the one in Escondido (sp?) is one of my wife's favorite spots.

Ballast point has 4 locations. If you're planning Green Flash, then I would suggest the newest BP location on Mirimar Rd. Those two breweries are very close to each other. Along Mirimar there are multiple other breweries. I would suggest Ale Smith and Saint Archer of the breweries in that area.

If you search area code 92121 for breweries, you'll see there are a lot right along that road.

As for breweries in general, Coronado Brewing Company has their main production facility and tasting room on Knoxville. They have a massive selection of creative brews aside from their flagships. Down the street from them are Modern Times and Ballast Point's original location at the Home Brew Mart.

Depending where you're staying there's always going to be something close by.

I can recommend Benchmark on Fairmount Avenue in San Diego, Lost Abbey on Mata Way in San Marcos, Mike Hess Brewing on Grim Avenue, San Diego. For pubs with great selections of beers, O'Briens in Kearney Mesa and Hamiltons in South Park.

OK, some great recommendations. I am not heading out to the main Stone brewery in Escondido. I have been there before and it feels like a big, fancy winery to me. Not my cup of tea. I'll stick to the places closer to the beach :)

Keep the suggestions coming. I'll be sure to post up our schedule and pictures after the event :D

Check out cellar 3 it's green flashes barrel aged and sour beers side project

Mike Hess has s location in Miramar near Green Flash and the Miramar Ballast Point location. BTW the Ballast Point tap room there is HUGE, and it's a good spot to grab a bite too.

White Labs isn't far away, and if your buddies are either homebrewers or just REALLY interested, it's worth a stop.

Back