Glycol Temp Control Set Up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone.

I got inspired in part by this thread and decided to build my own glycol chiller and custom Speidel fermenter glycol coil .

Cheers!

Attachments

• 2018-08-25 07.50.01.jpg
    2018-08-25 07.50.01.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 341
  • 2018-08-25 22.37.50.jpg
    2018-08-25 22.37.50.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 335
  • 2018-08-25 22.37.58.jpg
    2018-08-25 22.37.58.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 327
  • 2018-08-25 22.38.16.jpg
    2018-08-25 22.38.16.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 2018-10-03 09.40.01.jpg
    2018-10-03 09.40.01.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 2018-10-03 09.42.10.jpg
    2018-10-03 09.42.10.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 2018-10-03 20.36.51.jpg
    2018-10-03 20.36.51.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 316
  • 2018-10-03 20.37.09.jpg
    2018-10-03 20.37.09.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 330
  • 2018-10-03 20.38.54.jpg
    2018-10-03 20.38.54.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 348
  • 2018-10-03 20.39.03.jpg
    2018-10-03 20.39.03.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 330
Hello rdavidw & changchuyo,

What size SS tubing did each of you use? The link posted by rdavidw is to 1/2-inch OD tubing, and the tubing in changchuyo's photos looks like it could be 1/2-inch. I'm asking because 10-inch coils is the smallest diameter I see in stock coils on the Stainless Brewing web site. Can they bend 1/2-inch into a 4-1/2-inch diameter coil?

Thanks guys!

I wouldn't get too concerned about the size of the coil. I use a single loop that is 22 inches long (roughly 38 inches total submerged) and I can cool to low 40's using only ice water. If I had glycol at 15 or 20 F I'm sure I could cold crash to low to mid-30's no problem.

Just a little advice- you dont want to mix air and glycol. It lowers efficiency, taxes your chiller. Avoid splashing, air gaps, bleeds, etc. Keep reservoir closed and sealed tightly.

In tiny systems like this its maybe not a big deal but just a warning from someone who’s made that mistake.

And to op, have you considered just running a traditional manifold setup? One big supply/return manifold, with your individual fermenter supply feeds controlled by solenoids? Only drawback would be youd need the chiller running constant.

Hello rdavidw & changchuyo,

What size SS tubing did each of you use? The link posted by rdavidw is to 1/2-inch OD tubing, and the tubing in changchuyo's photos looks like it could be 1/2-inch. I'm asking because 10-inch coils is the smallest diameter I see in stock coils on the Stainless Brewing web site. Can they bend 1/2-inch into a 4-1/2-inch diameter coil?

Thanks guys!

Hi, the coil is 3/8" and the coil radius is 4". It fits perfectly!

Regards!

Hello everyone.

I got inspired in part by this thread and decided to build my own glycol chiller and custom Speidel fermenter glycol coil .

Cheers!

How are the compression fittings working out in terms of cleaning? Do you wish you had used a rubber stopper like rdavidw used? I decided to back a kickstarter for a glycol chiller that seems decently priced, but I'm still figuring out the rest of what I need. Thanks for the advice!

How are the compression fittings working out in terms of cleaning? Do you wish you had used a rubber stopper like rdavidw used? I decided to back a kickstarter for a glycol chiller that seems decently priced, but I'm still figuring out the rest of what I need. Thanks for the advice!

Hi Ryan_A,

These are not ideal sanitary fittings but with a careful cleaning with PBW, warm water and a brush you can get it perfectly clean. The rubber stoppers also work but I do prefer a more reliable seal.

About the glycol chiller are you backing on kickstarter, is it the Stasis? it looks great but my DIY is around $250 :)

Cheers!!!

Hi Ryan_A,

These are not ideal sanitary fittings but with a careful cleaning with PBW, warm water and a brush you can get it perfectly clean. The rubber stoppers also work but I do prefer a more reliable seal.

About the glycol chiller are you backing on kickstarter, is it the Stasis? it looks great but my DIY is around $250 :)

Cheers!!!

Yes, the Statis is the one I am backing. What chiller are you using and how loud is the compressor? What HP?

What kind of tape did you use to seal up the reflectix on your speidel? I'm thinking about using two lengths and making a cross, then drawing them up the sides of the speidel and taping the corners together except one side with velcro so I can remove it for cleaning.

I used reflectix brand tape that was sold with the reflectix roll. Works ok but the tape comes undone after a year or so of getting wet while cleaning. Overall happy with the setup.

What kind of tape did you use to seal up the reflectix on your speidel? I'm thinking about using two lengths and making a cross, then drawing them up the sides of the speidel and taping the corners together except one side with velcro so I can remove it for cleaning.

I used aluminum foil tape, works fine but have to replace it after 8 or 9 months.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'm going with the Reflectix tape with the plan to make it into a jacket with a velcro side that will allow me to remove it before cleaning. I guess I'll have to come back here in a few years to let y'all know how that turned out.

I'd been thinking of adding a coil just like this, but I was worrying the weight of the coil would be too much for the plastic Speidel lid. Is it no problem, or did you make the coil tall enough it rests on the bottom?

I'd been thinking of adding a coil just like this, but I was worrying the weight of the coil would be too much for the plastic Speidel lid. Is it no problem, or did you make the coil tall enough it rests on the bottom?
Hi,

I’ve been using it for a year and the lid is still perfect.
Remember that if you’re using Speidel you’re trusting German quality...!!!

Go ahead you’ll have no regret.

cheeers!!!🍻

Hi,

I’ve been using it for a year and the lid is still perfect.
Remember that if you’re using Speidel you’re trusting German quality...!!!

Go ahead you’ll have no regret.

cheeers!!!🍻

Same with me, after many years of use no problems with the lid supporting the full weight of the coil.

Ditto about the lid thing. It's definitely sturdy enough, just make sure you make your holes with enough clearance from the edge and no bigger than they absolutely have to be. I used a step bit.

One problem that I have now, though, is the airlock doesn't show any bubbling. I used #5.5 bungs and cut a line down one side to put them on the coil, under the fittings. The first time, I did it dry. The second time, I used keg lube to try to seal it up a little better. The weight of the coil pulls it down tighter. I'm concerned that where the gas is coming out from CO2 could let O2 in. Has anyone else had problems like this?

Ditto about the lid thing. It's definitely sturdy enough, just make sure you make your holes with enough clearance from the edge and no bigger than they absolutely have to be. I used a step bit.

One problem that I have now, though, is the airlock doesn't show any bubbling. I used #5.5 bungs and cut a line down one side to put them on the coil, under the fittings. The first time, I did it dry. The second time, I used keg lube to try to seal it up a little better. The weight of the coil pulls it down tighter. I'm concerned that where the gas is coming out from CO2 could let O2 in. Has anyone else had problems like this?
I have two and never had a leak except one time I forgot to tighten down the cap at the top after cleaning. Want to post a photo of your lid setup?

Hello everyone.

Cheers!
Hi changchuya, would you be willing to walk me through putting your system together? This looks awesome, and I saw in another post you've got $250 into it. Congrats!

Hello everyone.

Cheers!

About that bulkhead, do you have a link for what you used or remember the size? I measured the OD of my coil tubing and it is exactly 10mm. I bought it from the stainless brewing site that was mentioned previously. I wasn't sure if a 3/8" or 9.5mm compression fitting would be too tight and I'm not finding too many good sources of 10mm compression fitting bulkheads. Thanks in advance!

Hey rdavidw, I love this post. I'm a head brewer in Texas, and our brewery has some large Spiedel barrels for small batches. It irks me to no end that we don't have glycol control on those, and I stumble on this thread while looking for a solution. Could you tell me what fittings are on the end of the cooling coils?

Hi changchuya, would you be willing to walk me through putting your system together? This looks awesome, and I saw in another post you've got $250 into it. Congrats!
I have this system in my 6.5 gallon Fermonster and I can do lagers down to mid-50’s no problem. I use an 80 gph fountain pump, a controller and a cheap styrofoam cooler that holds a gallon of water and a 2 liter bottle of ice. All total $90 max. www.ballandkeg.com

Back