Quantcast

Glycol Temp Control Set Up

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

changchuyo

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I got inspired in part by this thread and decided to build my own glycol chiller and custom Speidel fermenter glycol coil .

Cheers!

Attachments

Curtis K.

Reaction score
Hello rdavidw & changchuyo,

What size SS tubing did each of you use? The link posted by rdavidw is to 1/2-inch OD tubing, and the tubing in changchuyo's photos looks like it could be 1/2-inch. I'm asking because 10-inch coils is the smallest diameter I see in stock coils on the Stainless Brewing web site. Can they bend 1/2-inch into a 4-1/2-inch diameter coil?

Thanks guys!

yowzers

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too concerned about the size of the coil. I use a single loop that is 22 inches long (roughly 38 inches total submerged) and I can cool to low 40's using only ice water. If I had glycol at 15 or 20 F I'm sure I could cold crash to low to mid-30's no problem.

SanPancho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just a little advice- you dont want to mix air and glycol. It lowers efficiency, taxes your chiller. Avoid splashing, air gaps, bleeds, etc. Keep reservoir closed and sealed tightly.

In tiny systems like this its maybe not a big deal but just a warning from someone who’s made that mistake.

And to op, have you considered just running a traditional manifold setup? One big supply/return manifold, with your individual fermenter supply feeds controlled by solenoids? Only drawback would be youd need the chiller running constant.

changchuyo

Reaction score
Hello rdavidw & changchuyo,

What size SS tubing did each of you use? The link posted by rdavidw is to 1/2-inch OD tubing, and the tubing in changchuyo's photos looks like it could be 1/2-inch. I'm asking because 10-inch coils is the smallest diameter I see in stock coils on the Stainless Brewing web site. Can they bend 1/2-inch into a 4-1/2-inch diameter coil?

Thanks guys!
Hi, the coil is 3/8" and the coil radius is 4". It fits perfectly!

Regards!

Curtis K.

Reaction score
Hi, the coil is 3/8" and the coil radius is 4". It fits perfectly!

Regards!
Thanks so much changchuyo, 3/8" will work perfect with my existing system. Now I know what to ask for when I order.

Cheers!

Ryan A

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I got inspired in part by this thread and decided to build my own glycol chiller and custom Speidel fermenter glycol coil .

Cheers!
How are the compression fittings working out in terms of cleaning? Do you wish you had used a rubber stopper like rdavidw used? I decided to back a kickstarter for a glycol chiller that seems decently priced, but I'm still figuring out the rest of what I need. Thanks for the advice!

changchuyo

Reaction score
How are the compression fittings working out in terms of cleaning? Do you wish you had used a rubber stopper like rdavidw used? I decided to back a kickstarter for a glycol chiller that seems decently priced, but I'm still figuring out the rest of what I need. Thanks for the advice!
Hi Ryan_A,

These are not ideal sanitary fittings but with a careful cleaning with PBW, warm water and a brush you can get it perfectly clean. The rubber stoppers also work but I do prefer a more reliable seal.

About the glycol chiller are you backing on kickstarter, is it the Stasis? it looks great but my DIY is around $250 :)

Cheers!!!

Ryan A

Reaction score
Hi Ryan_A,

These are not ideal sanitary fittings but with a careful cleaning with PBW, warm water and a brush you can get it perfectly clean. The rubber stoppers also work but I do prefer a more reliable seal.

About the glycol chiller are you backing on kickstarter, is it the Stasis? it looks great but my DIY is around $250 :)

Cheers!!!
Yes, the Statis is the one I am backing. What chiller are you using and how loud is the compressor? What HP?

Ryan A

Reaction score
What kind of tape did you use to seal up the reflectix on your speidel? I'm thinking about using two lengths and making a cross, then drawing them up the sides of the speidel and taping the corners together except one side with velcro so I can remove it for cleaning.

OP
rdavidw

rdavidw

Reaction score
I used reflectix brand tape that was sold with the reflectix roll. Works ok but the tape comes undone after a year or so of getting wet while cleaning. Overall happy with the setup.

changchuyo

Reaction score
What kind of tape did you use to seal up the reflectix on your speidel? I'm thinking about using two lengths and making a cross, then drawing them up the sides of the speidel and taping the corners together except one side with velcro so I can remove it for cleaning.
I used aluminum foil tape, works fine but have to replace it after 8 or 9 months.

Ryan A

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'm going with the Reflectix tape with the plan to make it into a jacket with a velcro side that will allow me to remove it before cleaning. I guess I'll have to come back here in a few years to let y'all know how that turned out.

glenm

Reaction score
I'd been thinking of adding a coil just like this, but I was worrying the weight of the coil would be too much for the plastic Speidel lid. Is it no problem, or did you make the coil tall enough it rests on the bottom?

changchuyo

Reaction score
I'd been thinking of adding a coil just like this, but I was worrying the weight of the coil would be too much for the plastic Speidel lid. Is it no problem, or did you make the coil tall enough it rests on the bottom?
Hi,

I’ve been using it for a year and the lid is still perfect.
Remember that if you’re using Speidel you’re trusting German quality...!!!

Go ahead you’ll have no regret.

cheeers!!!🍻

OP
rdavidw

rdavidw

Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve been using it for a year and the lid is still perfect.
Remember that if you’re using Speidel you’re trusting German quality...!!!

Go ahead you’ll have no regret.

cheeers!!!🍻
Same with me, after many years of use no problems with the lid supporting the full weight of the coil.

Ryan A

Reaction score
Ditto about the lid thing. It's definitely sturdy enough, just make sure you make your holes with enough clearance from the edge and no bigger than they absolutely have to be. I used a step bit.

One problem that I have now, though, is the airlock doesn't show any bubbling. I used #5.5 bungs and cut a line down one side to put them on the coil, under the fittings. The first time, I did it dry. The second time, I used keg lube to try to seal it up a little better. The weight of the coil pulls it down tighter. I'm concerned that where the gas is coming out from CO2 could let O2 in. Has anyone else had problems like this?

OP
rdavidw

rdavidw

Reaction score
Ditto about the lid thing. It's definitely sturdy enough, just make sure you make your holes with enough clearance from the edge and no bigger than they absolutely have to be. I used a step bit.

One problem that I have now, though, is the airlock doesn't show any bubbling. I used #5.5 bungs and cut a line down one side to put them on the coil, under the fittings. The first time, I did it dry. The second time, I used keg lube to try to seal it up a little better. The weight of the coil pulls it down tighter. I'm concerned that where the gas is coming out from CO2 could let O2 in. Has anyone else had problems like this?
I have two and never had a leak except one time I forgot to tighten down the cap at the top after cleaning. Want to post a photo of your lid setup?

X-man

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Cheers!
Hi changchuya, would you be willing to walk me through putting your system together? This looks awesome, and I saw in another post you've got $250 into it. Congrats!