Glass Full Of Head Over Carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBottles

Reaction score
I read a few threads about this, want to make sure I am doing all i can... Have 40 people coming over in 7 hours for Super Bowl.

Amber Ale on a corny keg
12 psi.
40 degrees

I force carbed it for 5 minutes on 15 psi - per direction of friend. Totally flat.
Went to 20 - 5 more minutes - totally flat.
Got impatient, went to 30 for 10 min... BOOM FOAM glasses of beer right on demand!:mad:

Unhooked QD. Released all pressure. Let sit over night.

Have been rolling back and forth on floor for an hour, and letting pressure out intermittently.

Is this all I can do?

Will I be able to get this under control in 7 hours? Or am I not going to be serving Ale tonight?:confused:

just keep burping the CO2 out of it.....it will go flat fairly fast. I don't think you will need to shake it anymore....RDWHAHB...just realease the pressure every half hour until game time...it will be fine.

I would guess the serving line is 5 feet. It is on a dual tap kegerator. I am also serving a stout, which is barely carbed right now at the 12.

just keep burping the CO2 out of it.....it will go flat fairly fast. I don't think you will need to shake it anymore....RDWHAHB...just realease the pressure every half hour until game time...it will be fine.

Sorry, noob o rama here... RDWHAHB ?

All of my lines are 5 feet. Never had any problems. I always turn pressure to 25-30 PSI for 2-3 days and then turn it down to about 5psi. Bleed all the excess of the keg and pour.....always works. If I need a little more carb I turn it up to 15 for another day. Don't think the line length is your problem. IMHO

Just let the beer sit tin the cooler. Go down and release the pressure off of it every half hour. After a few hours hook it back up the the CO2 under just enough pressure to push it into a glass ....around 5PSI and draw a small glass. Do this a couple times until you think the levels are correct. A full keg doesn't have much head space you may need to do it a few times. It will be fine.

Pull you tap apart and clean it, sometimes its something as simple as a dirty tap providing a nucleation site.

Thanks guys!

When you force carb at 25 or 30 psi, are you supposed to let the pressure out before reducing to psi, or leave the valve alone and just reduce?

BTW, love how fast you get answers on this site! Totally worth the $25 bucks to sponsor the site. Appreciate everyone's help!

Just let the beer sit tin the cooler. Go down and release the pressure off of it every half hour. After a few hours hook it back up the the CO2 under just enough pressure to push it into a glass ....around 5PSI and draw a small glass. Do this a couple times until you think the levels are correct. A full keg doesn't have much head space you may need to do it a few times. It will be fine.

Sounds like the problem may be that he wants the stout at 12psi, he needs two regulators?

I wouldnt think letting the beer sit for 5 min @ 15psi would do the trick. i force carb mine at 35 psi for 32 hours. always comes out perfect.

i cant believe all you did was go to 30psi for 10 min and you have all that foam.

Thanks guys!

When you force carb at 25 or 30 psi, are you supposed to let the pressure out before reducing to psi, or leave the valve alone and just reduce?

BTW, love how fast you get answers on this site! Totally worth the $25 bucks to sponsor the site. Appreciate everyone's help!

Yes, you are suppose do depressurize the keg, then turn it up to the psi you want. Like 8-15 depending on the beer.

I have also read that while your beer is force carbing, you can shake the keg around to help the co2 saturate into the beer.

that doesn't make any sense to me. shaking would cause the CO2 to come out of solution.

think about any time you've opened a bottle or a can that had been shaken up and it explodes foamy goodness everywhere

I do know that cooler temperatures help gases dissolve into liquid solution easier. so if you were able to refridgerate or set up a cool water bath while carb aging, it might help

that doesn't make any sense to me. shaking would cause the CO2 to come out of solution.

I do know that cooler temperatures help gases dissolve into liquid solution easier. so if you were able to refridgerate or set up a cool water bath while carb aging, it might help

If you have enough pressure against it, the CO2 will dissolve into the beer. It still takes time but not as much as normal because you expose more of the beer to the CO2. As the beer is cooled, it can accept more CO2 into solution too.

sorry, I kind of forgot about the part where this shaken keg was under excessive pressure :p

then yes, I agree with that theory

Back