Losing PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

puzx

Reaction score
Hello,
I am troubleshooting to know where my CO2 leak is, so I started with the CO2 can and regulator only. I connected the regulator to the CO2 and put on 10 PSI to see if it held the pressure. I saw it held it for about 20 minutes, so I just let it sit like that overnight. I woke up today and noticed it went down to about 7-8 PSI. Is that worrysome and a sign of a leak? Or is it normal for the regulator to lose PSI overnight? The CO2 can and regulator remained at the fridge at all times.
Thanks!

The pressure should not decrease at all if everything is working right. Any decrease indicates a leak somewhere.

so I started with the CO2 can [...]
You mean CO2 tank?
How big is the tank, 5, 10, 15, or 20 pounds?

I woke up today and noticed it went down to about 7-8 PSI.
Although not ideal, losing some of the tiny amount of CO2 that's in the regulator assembly is not unusual. But the (small) leak could be in the hose connections, and whatever is connected to to them.

Can you post a picture of the regulator assembly mounted to the tank as it is, and any hoses connected to the regulator?

I am always fooling with my system, so I get leaks. The single best way to be sure where your leak is is to put the joint under water. Soapy sprays don't always work. The other day I found a leak that didn't show up at all with soapy spray. I took the entire CO2 system out of my keezer and submerged every single joint I wasn't already sure of. That includes disconnects.

If you shoot CO2 into a keg of beer that isn't fully carbonated, and you seal the keg off, you should expect the pressure to go down, because some CO2 dissolves in the beer. It can't make pressure AND go into solution. It has to do one or the other. When you shake a bottle of soda, the pressure shoots up. Put it in the fridge, and it goes back down. But there is no leak.

Back