CO2 Pressure keep going up. Even swapped regulators!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jdinh127

Reaction score
Just purchased my first kegerator so I am brand new to this and was hoping to get my first great pour the other day.

I am having an issue with my co2 pressure.

With the co2 hooked on my keg, my pressure has been going from 0-50psi- regardless of how low or high I am setting my regulator. I thought my keg was over carbonated so what I did was unhooked the co2 to my keg. However, I am having the same issue and psi still increases.

I even went out to purchase a different regulator. So even with the swap and not having it hooked to the keg, regulator still shows 50+psi when I let it sit for an hour or so.

Being that I did a test and unhooked the co2 from the keg and that I switched the regulator (tested 2 so far) but psi still creeps up to 50+ psi over a span of about an hour, what can be the issue?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Just to get this out of the way: I notice you're in San Jose CA...you didn't mention anything about temperature and since you said this is all new to you, I'm wondering if this is a commercial keg you bought and brought home. Has the beer had time to cool down to serving temp? When you buy a prefilled keg, it's usually properly pressurized but when it warms up before it goes in the kegerator, you'll get exactly the problem you're having (though 50psi does sound higher than I'd expect)
If you've connected it and it's had a chance to cool down, have you tried pouring a pint or two yet? ..my preferred method for relieving pressure on an overpressured keg that's already hooked up is to just pour a pint or so and watch the guage drop.
If you've had it cooling for the last day or so, it should have come down by now...is it any lower today?

With the keg disconnected, can you regulate the pressure on the regulator?
BTW, you know that turning the regulator adjuster (knob) inward (clockwise) it increases pressure, yes?

Turning it counterclockwise reduces the pressure, but it doesn't release by itself. You therefore need to vent the excess pressure in the regulator by pulling the ring on the pressure relief valve, usually located next to the regulator knob.

As @Broken Crow said, make sure your keg is thoroughly cold first, before connecting it to your tap system, including the CO2 tank. If the keg was warm when you got it, it will need 24-48 hours in your cold kegerator to re-stabilize.

You need to do this.
You therefore need to vent the excess pressure in the regulator by pulling the ring on the pressure relief valve,
Some regulators have a PRV in the regulator body, but most don't. Pull the PRV in your coupler (sanke) or keg lid (ball lock).

Back