Give this a looksee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChadRabbit

Reaction score
I need some advice from the experienced guys here...

I brewed a partial grain batch of an Imperial Red about a month or so back and it turned out beautifully. My LHBS tweaked the original recipe to make it into a partial grain recipe considering i didn't quite have the equipment for all grain. What I would like to do is brew the original recipe in all grain version and land the same results.

Here's the original recipe...

OG- 1.069
ABV- 7.1
IBU- 102.9

10 lbs. American two row pale
5 lbs. Munich extract
1 lbs. American Crystal
3 oz. Carared
2 oz. roasted barley

2 oz. Centennial (60)
1 oz. Simcoe (30)
2 oz. Cascade (5)
1 oz. Cascade (dry hop)

This recipe was written for a 6.5 gallon batch, but i'd like to only brew a 5 gallon batch if that's possible. What should i tweak? Maybe drop the two-row to 8 lbs. and the munich to 3.5 lbs?

I'm also going to have to make up an entire mash schedule and start playing with this thing. I'm thinking...

Mash in - 4 gal at 154 for 60 minutes.
Mash out - 2 gal at 170

ibrewmaster is saying i need a 5.83 gallon preboil volume. I'm guessing this will get me close enough?

Sorry this post is long. Go grab a brew and give this poor kid some advice..

Recipes are scalable so you can just multiply and divide all ingredients to change the batch volume. To calculate your preboil volume you need to know your boil off rate and estimate trub and cooling losses. 0.83 gallons actually seems a little low to me but I don't know your system. Regardless, you'll need more sparge water than you listed as you're going to lose about 2 gallons to grain absorption.

Munich extract is half base and half Munich. Assuming 75% efficiency the extract can be converted into grain:

5lb x 46 ppg extract / (36 ppg base malt x 75%) = 8.5 lbs

so that's 4.25lbs of 2-row and 4.25lbs Munich to replace the Munich extract.

I need some advice from the experienced guys here...

I brewed a partial grain batch of an Imperial Red about a month or so back and it turned out beautifully. My LHBS tweaked the original recipe to make it into a partial grain recipe considering i didn't quite have the equipment for all grain. What I would like to do is brew the original recipe in all grain version and land the same results.

Here's the original recipe...

OG- 1.069
ABV- 7.1
IBU- 102.9

10 lbs. American two row pale
5 lbs. Munich extract
1 lbs. American Crystal
3 oz. Carared
2 oz. roasted barley

2 oz. Centennial (60)
1 oz. Simcoe (30)
2 oz. Cascade (5)
1 oz. Cascade (dry hop)

This recipe was written for a 6.5 gallon batch, but i'd like to only brew a 5 gallon batch if that's possible. What should i tweak? Maybe drop the two-row to 8 lbs. and the munich to 3.5 lbs?

I'm also going to have to make up an entire mash schedule and start playing with this thing. I'm thinking...

Mash in - 4 gal at 154 for 60 minutes.
Mash out - 2 gal at 170

ibrewmaster is saying i need a 5.83 gallon preboil volume. I'm guessing this will get me close enough?

Sorry this post is long. Go grab a brew and give this poor kid some advice..

If you're batch sparging you won't need to mash out, so the water there can go into the sparge.

Generally, you'll want to use 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain in the mash- so that's 24 quarts in the mash, if my quick addition is right. That's 6 gallons, not 4 gallons.

Of course, if you're lowering the grainbill because you're lowering the batch size, that will change. But you want to keep 1.5 quarts/pound no matter how much grain you have.

To get a smaller batch, just simple arithmetic will do it. Just multiply/divide to get a 5 gallon batch.

Ah, yes didn't catch that was munich extract not grain. So WoodlandBrew has the calculation for you if the original recipe was for DME. With LME it would be about 6 2/3 lb grain, so 3 1/3 pale and 3 1/3 munich.

Awesome. That's easy enough.

When the LHBS modded the recipe last time the dropped the 2 row to 8 lbs and the Munich to a 3.5 pound LME container.

I think I have it all setup now though. Thanks for the help guys!

Back