German hefe weizen with rye - critique.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slotish

Reaction score
Hello homebrewers
I was thinking about using some rye malt in my brewery and the first batch with this new ingredient will be a german hefe-weizen with some addition of rye.
What do You think about this recipe:
Pils malt - 4,4 lbs ( 2 kg )
Rye malt - 2,2 lbs ( 1 kg )
Wheat malt - 2,2 lbs ( 1 kg )
Spelt malt - 8,8 oz ( 0,25 kg ) just to get rid of the rests of this malt out of my stock
Munich dark - 7 oz ( 0,2 kg )
Crystal 200EBC - 5,29 oz ( 0,15 kg )
Chocolate 625 EBC - 1,06 oz ( 0,03 kg)

I am aware that this recipe with it's translation from metric to imperial units can look somewhat strange, but my biggest problem is not a grain bill but mashing. I've read an article from "Brewing Techniques" entitled "Brewing with Rye" and I decided to use beta glucan rest but I've got no idea how long should I keep my mash within 113 -122 F to not to destroy foam and body of beer. Can you help me with this question?

I'm gonna use Wb-06 so after beta glucan rest I will reach the 158F by a hot water infusion, in order to avoid very dry beer.
I will also use our polish hop Sybilla to reach 20 IBU's in this brew, but hopping isn't really important thing in this batch I think.

I'll be thankful for all your advices, and I'm sorry in advance for all my linguistic mistakes.

The beta glucan temperature range you provided seems a little high according to what I've read, http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter14-1.html. I would assume that 20-30 minutes would suffice for the time though.

This looks to be a very interesting wheat beer with the use of rye, spelt, and the chocolate malt. I've not brewed with rye, but I have made several wheat beers. Each wheat beer was brewed using a single mash temperature and I've had good results. You got me thinking if a multiple step mash might improve m wheat beers. I might have to experiment and find out.

Usually a 15 min rest is all that's needed for the lower-temp rests. No need to worry about head with 2+ lbs of wheat.

Thank You guys, You have really helped me.

So it looks that I was using beta glucane rest in my wheat beers not knowing it, beacause of typical for step mashing ferulic acid rest in 104F.

Latest posts

Back