gensee cream ale clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i need some clones for old german, colt 45, and gensee cream ale!!! Got some college buddies coming home!!!!

I still like that beer! My cream ale is pretty close, and Genny was my inspiration, although it's not a clone.

Is that your "Fizzy Yellow" beer recipe? I bought a bunch of K-97 I'll be trying out on some different psuedo-lagers this spring, so I'll keep your recipe in mind.

Nateo said:
Is that your "Fizzy Yellow" beer recipe? I bought a bunch of K-97 I'll be trying out on some different psuedo-lagers this spring, so I'll keep your recipe in mind.

Where did you get K97? I haven't seen that stuff in years, and it's great!

i grew up in ohio right on the pa line!! That is where I used to get it. You ever try straub?? I think that was its name drove to the brewery and got a case.

hey speak, I have been to allentown pa. your almost in new jersey. Had to delievery a horse out that way one time.

No, the Fizzy Yellow Beer is a bit different, with more malt flavor. The cream ale recipe I have posted, using corn, is the one that I made for my dad because of his affinity for Genny. His exact words, when he came for a visit and it was 90 degrees here when he arrived were, "This is almost as good as MGD!" so that's what I consider a ringing endorsement.

i grew up in ohio right on the pa line!! That is where I used to get it. You ever try straub?? I think that was its name drove to the brewery and got a case.

Yes, I grew up on the PA line also. They still have the drive-through beer stores in Ohio so you can load up before you go to PA.

yeah they have those in pa too. do you still have to get beer by the case in pa at a distribruter

Not always. Just this past year, they started having some beer available at Giant Eagle.

Where are you from?

Oh, and to keep this thread on topic, making a light lager or even a cream ale is very difficult to get perfect so it's actually a good test of brewing skill if someone can do it. If someone really wants to test their skills are a brewer, they should try a light lager. They are so clean and crisp that any off flavors have no place to hide. I know lots of beer snobs denigrate the style, but brewing them takes quite a bit of skill and knowledge. The difficulty is wasted on people like my dad who thinks that Genny is the best beer in the universe. (And I have to say, I like it too- it's probably my favorite lawnmower beer and the last 30 pack I bought was still about $10.99!).

i went to school in edinboro for a couple years- straub was pretty much what drank when i had bills (an awesome beer - "do not expose to light"), OG when i had 4.75.

You guys are taking me back! Grew up in the Pittsburgh suburbs with Genny Cream Ale, Straub and Yuengling. Stayed away from Iron City and Rolling Rock! My first homebrew was an extract cream ale kit and it was brutal! A few years later and I have graduated to hoppy IPA's and delicate belgians , but I always keep my cream ale in the rotation. I think moving to all grain helped me zero in on that terrific cream ale goodness!
I'm a sentimental guy, so thanks again for making me smile!

i think there were more colorful beers out there than any where else- three stooges, old frothingslosh- what a great place to drink! but straub still has my vote for one of the best in pa.

Back