Pepper Beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a bunch of pepper beers over the years. Beers infused with hot peppers, jalapeno, cayenne, habanero, etc. I haven't seen any comment on them in this forum in a long time.

And I've grown all sorts of hot peppers. And I've never made a pepper beer. That's gonna change this weekend. I think I'll get some habs, which I think are the most citrussy, and made a pale ale with them.

Thoughts?

I've done a hab cider I called ciderñero. 1 (roasted) per gallon was pretty darn hot! I'm working on a Mexican Cake clone now and will be using hab tincture that I'll add to taste (feel?) at bottling. 3 gallon batch, 2 habaneros in 100 ml vodka for a couple of weeks. Smoked sounds delicious.

I did a ghost pepper Belgian tripel a couple years ago, used 3 ghost peppers from my garden for a 5 gallon batch. Soaked in vodka for a week before kegging and added them at kegging time, with the vodka, cause why not.

It was good, I liked the balance with the residual sweetness of the tripel. I don't recal my FG on that batch though. In my opinion it wasnt too hot, but I also like heat. My wife also enjoyed it, that said, 5 gallon was a bit much. That keg lasted twice as long as the other 2 that I didn't add peppers to. I brew 15 gallon batches and occasionally I'll experiment with 1 keg. It had a good Belgian flavor upfront then the peppers came through in the finish.

It's been a couple years since I did a Chipotle Porter. However, I'm not terribly tolerant of a lot of heat. So 3-4 Chipotles in 5 gal for three days was plenty for me.

It's one of those beers I enjoyed, but wouldn't make a high priority to keep in rotation.

I brewed a beer with Anaheim peppers. I roasted 5 lb of peppers on my grill. I started with a 5 gallon pale ale recipe, but used roasted peppers in a muslin bag in place of the 10 minute hops.
It was good, but next time I will use more peppers.

My next wine will probably be a serrano lime wine. I've had a hatch green chilli cider, and a raspberry habenero cider and they were both fabulous.

I'm cold-smoking the peppers and C20 barley right now. Will be making this beer tomorrow.

1704494564338.png

I see you're in FL, but don't know how close you are to Santa Rosa. My younger brother lives there and I tried a mango habanero pale ale from Idle Hounds brewery. Very smoky and sweet in a good way.

I've had a habanero IPA from one of my local breweries and I hated it. Too freaking hot to drink. Total heat bomb. I expected the same from Idle, but their beer was awesome!

I grow them, too, and they are definitely hot but to me they have a great smokey, fruity taste. You just have to find the right balance. Hoping to do that in the Mexican Cake I'll bottle in a few weeks.

Totally agree. I picked up the smoky taste in the Idle Hounds beer I had. It was perfect with the mango. The other all habanero beer (made by Chattanooga Brewing Co), just seemed like it was all about heat. It was just too much of a good thing imo. On the other hand, CBC does make some great beers and they are one of my favorite local breweries. I just don't like their habanero IPA. Yuck.

[edit] previous posts was a serrano pepper beer. This one is a smoked habanero pale ale.

Man I can't get enough of this beer. SO delicious. Yes, it's got a little kick, but completely satisfying. I'm making another batch asap.

Pic below of 60 minute addition of habaneros and jalapenos. 1# of each!

1711842190686.png

1711842139664.png

Pretty beer. How long/what temp for the pepper addition?

Cheers!
60m addition. OG = 1.065. 7% ABV. IBU=42. I smoked the malt myself.

Yea, maybe I've got a tongue for the spicy stuff (I grow a lot of hot peppers). And a lot of people are gonna not like this. More for me LOL. I really don't think it's that hot.

1711843187199.png

Back