Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elfred

Reaction score
Can you reuse yeast that has been dropped with gelatin?Wiil it flock out in next brew before complete? Thanks

Personally, I wouldn't try it. The gelatin attached itself to the yeast and literally dragged it down out of suspension. If you re-use the yeast, it won't necessarily "flocculate" prematurely...flocculation is when yeast cells clump together in a fairly complex biochemical process. But they may still be "glued" together by the sticky, charged gelatinous mass.

But who knows? Maybe the gelatin loses its charge and releases the yeast after a while. I don't know.

ETA: Check out this thread. Several people report success re-using yeast after fining with gelatin. Yeast Harvest After Gelatin???

Can you reuse yeast that has been dropped with gelatin? Will it flock out in next brew before complete? Thanks
I think you'd be fine if you're just transferring your wort onto a yeast cake that had been cleared with gelatin. People bottle condition with no problem with yeast exposed to gelatin so I can't imagine that it would cause an issue.

Yes. Do a quick clean, then step it up and make a monster starter and you'll be fine. I used to do it all the time. I don't personally use Gelatin any more but it was a mainstay in my brewery for 15 years.

Cheers
Jay

I re-pitch my yeast, without building a starter, 5 times before I start the process over. Gelatin has never given me any problems. Just a note, I brew nothing but German Pilsners.

Yes you can harvest that yeast. I used Imperial G03 back in 11-2020 on the second to last bottled batch before moving to kegging. One that batch it was moved to secondary, fined with gelatin, bottled, sat at room temp for 4-6 weeks, then set in the fridge for 6 weeks or so to lager. Now that's a long form saying I harvested slurry from the bottom of one of those bottles, for giggles, back on 03-2021 and banked it up/froze it. I recently built up that slurry from the freezer and fermented a nice kolsch with it. The keg was tapped last night and it worked just fine. Flocculation and all. Maybe it was a fluke? Either way it did work :)

Back