Gauging the Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ilikecats12

Reaction score
So I am planning on brewing an ESB today and yesterday I realized I had left my Wyeast London Ale ESB smack pack out a room temperature for a week and a half. I got a cup of DME and boiled it in around 1300 ml of water and then pitched the smacked pack of yeast in it after it cooled to make a makeshift "make sure the yeast is active" starter. I have never really made a starter before so I don't exactly know how to gauge if I should buy another pack or if its good to pitch. The yeast seemed to settle to a cake on the bottom of the flask and when I shook it it foamed a lot. I can upload pictures once I figure out how but since I am kind of short on time I thought I would go ahead and post this to see what anyone thinks!!

EDIT: I should mention there is a slight hint of CO2 being released and the starter has only really been fermenting for 9 hours or so

Here is a before and after of me shaking it if this helps

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Back