Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plucked some stuff off the existing plants, cut everything down to about 1 foot, planted some new peppers. In with the new, out with the old.

1676850446674.png

My mystery pepper seems to have made it through the winter! For now, I am calling it a Birds Eye Chili but I will probably never know definitively. It has a nice, fruity taste but is one of the hottest peppers I have ever had. I’d guess it is about twice as hot as my cayenne, so about 100,000 scoville.

So my question is what do I need to do to get it ready for spring? I was planning on adding 2-3 inches of compost to the pot. Do I need to cut it back? If so, how far?
FB36836C-B3DF-4956-AFAE-1B84B8F11688.jpeg
5CBFD28F-6661-4F91-9A96-545D59D037CF.jpeg

Picked up the first batch of plants from the nursery this weekend.
60 bunch onion
6 Burpless Cucumber
4 artichoke
1 grape tomato, (jelly bean)
1 salad tomato (stupice)
1 large tomato (celebrity)
1 zucchini
1 8-ball squash
1 golden starburst squash

No peppers yet. All they had were 6-packs of peppers and I’m not interested in a repeat of last year, though the main culprit was too many cherry tomato plants. Definitely no jalapeños this year. The ones at the grocery store are cheap and better in just about every way.

Picked up the first batch of plants from the nursery this weekend.
60 bunch onion
6 Burpless Cucumber
4 artichoke
1 grape tomato, (jelly bean)
1 salad tomato (stupice)
1 large tomato (celebrity)
1 zucchini
1 8-ball squash
1 golden starburst squash

No peppers yet. All they had were 6-packs of peppers and I’m not interested in a repeat of last year, though the main culprit was too many cherry tomato plants. Definitely no jalapeños this year. The ones at the grocery store are cheap and better in just about every way.
The japs I grow are better than store. Hotter, and larger. And, I had fun letting them all go red. I made a killer chipotle sauce from them. I agree with the cherry tomatoes: I had so many that I started canning tomatoe sauce from them.

The japs I grow are better than store. Hotter, and larger. And, I had fun letting them all go red. I made a killer chipotle sauce from them. I agree with the cherry tomatoes: I had so many that I started canning tomatoe sauce from them.
The japs at my grocery are as long as my hand but for some reason the ones I grow are closer to thumb size and not suitable for poppers at all. Great point about letting them go red though. That’s how I used nearly all of mine last year and really liked the flavor. I still think I’ll go back to Fresno chilis though.

I started my seeds a couple weeks ago. Only a limited amount of space, so limited numbers.
Cayenne, Jalapeno and habanero peppers.
Cherry, Beefsteak, Black Krim and Cherokee Purple tomatoes.
Sweet peas, Honeynut squash.
PLus cascade and newport hops.

I'll have to do work in my garden area before planting - pachysandra is taking back over. |PLus it needs compost and such.

The japs at my grocery are as long as my hand but for some reason the ones I grow are closer to thumb size and not suitable for poppers at all. Great point about letting them go red though. That’s how I used nearly all of mine last year and really liked the flavor. I still think I’ll go back to Fresno chilis though.

man, I have so much. These are for nachos, and I do like them that way. I was hoping the jarred ones would last me throught winter - I've got new japs on the vine now, so I guess I have plenty haha.

1679450087882.png

So far I have Scotch Bonnet x Yellow Bell pepper (no idea if they will be hot or mild) and Japanese eggplant seeds up, and eggplant-shaped eggplants just starting to germinate. My other peppers aren't doing anything yet. It's too early to start tomatoes.

My hot pepper seeds after 3 weeks. Not sure what happened this year 🫤

Attachments

• 1F427FC7-CEEE-4913-BF8B-4A2BD61F2BA2.jpeg
    1F427FC7-CEEE-4913-BF8B-4A2BD61F2BA2.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
The pic is just after a watering but I’ve been pretty consistent every year with the watering schedule. I think my mistake was buying starter pots with dirt already in it. It seemed off from the start. Live and learn. I’ll never not mix my own soil again.

I'm attempting to grow tomatoes again after finding potato beetles on my potatoes a couple years ago. I found a bunch of them on nightshade last summer, but I never noticed them being a problem for my tomatoes, so I'm hoping this won't be a problem.

I started seeds a bit late, on April 5th, and then a few more on Monday.

I'm a little behind this year myself but I did manage to rehab my greenhouse. It was one of those hooped models with the green cover (picture from this last winter). I also had some leftover siding pieces/lumber so I built two long benches and a potting table. Shortened the original hoop structure one section and used the extra straight pieces to reinforce the top and put up clear 6 mil greenhouse plastic. I installed a small fan and louvered vent for airflow. I have a spare wifi/BT dual Govee plug though and Govee has a cheap BT thermometer which I ordered. I should be able to set up a scene(?) in the Govee app to read the temp and run the plug. I have a spare phone I can dedicate to run the app. I'll need to tighten up the plastic some as it has loosened up a bit with being in the sun. It got up to over 100°F the first day before I turned on the fan and propped the vent open! It was only 60° outside.
1681314600427.jpeg
1681314662339.jpeg
1681314686478.jpeg
1681314752609.jpeg

It's still too early to safely set peppers and tomatoes in the ground (especially the peppers) but I've moved them outside to start hardening off. They're sitting in the bed of my truck to protect them a little from wind and squirrels.

My tomatoes are in the greenhouses and the locoto pepers are outside now, but the rest of the peppers I bring inside at night. Still another week before I will put them out even under cover, been a cool spring. At least it will be nice and warm in the greenhouses during the day

SmartSelect_20230511_075356_Chrome.jpg

IMG_20230505_171149622_HDR.jpg

Hustling my tomatoes and peppers along as fast as I can but they are just past germination. They are under a grow light in the greenhouse and been on heating pads. I've got rainbow bells, two types of Thai hot peppers and some Fresno Jalapenos all ordered from Pepper Joe's and then some regular jalapenos from Southern Seed Exchange. Tomato varieties are San Marzanos, Romas, Mountaineer Delight (superior disease resistance), Mortgage Lifters, Black Prince, and Alston Everlasting (cherry). Lots of brassicas and herbs. About the only item I am slightly ahead of in the greenhouse would be the cukes. I normally plant these in the ground but germination wasn't so good last year so I am trying peat pots another time. Now that I have a rainproof greenhouse I will invest in some more lights for next year. Also need a few more heating pads.
1683816824515.jpeg

1683816847750.jpeg

1683816896203.jpeg

1683816914674.jpeg

1683816925516.jpeg

There are volunteer tomato plants coming up in my garden, so I'm taking that as a sign that the soil is warm enough to plant stuff even if the nights are still sometimes in the 40s. Also I see corn coming up in the farmers' fields around here.

So far I've set out 6 okra seedlings, 2 Celebrity tomatoes, 2 Stupice tomatoes, 1 Principe Borghese tomato, 2 Scotch Bonnet x Yellow Bell peppers, and one big red half-hot habanero (I don't know the variety). I also have some 7 Pot Yellow peppers but haven't figured out where to put them yet. Tomorrow I'll set out some eggplants and plant the squash. Scarlet Runner beans that I planted in little pots over a week ago are *finally* peeking out from the soil, so I can plant those in a couple of days. And the bronze fennel started coming up today. (the fennel is mainly for the swallowtail butterflies, but the bronze variety is kinda ornamental if the caterpillars don't eat it up so I'm okay with it either way)

I'm holding back extras of everything to replant in case there's a late freeze, hail, or a rabbit or squirrel destroys something. I still need to plant some basil seeds.

Chillis in a pop up greenhouse,, toms in the greenhouse, onions and potatoes. Lots more coming ready and have been picking salads for a couple of weeks. Had some garlic scapes this lunchtime too.
IMG_20230521_104854997_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230521_135913633.jpg

IMG_20230521_110612415_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230521_110604115.jpg

Do earwigs do this kind of damage? They are the only bug I am seeing. It looks like the same bug completely wiped out my zucchini. I’ve tried diatomaceous earth, neem and insecticide soap so far but nothing seems to slow it down.

Attachments

• 2855BF55-7D3A-4C25-A682-37251A2A8514.jpeg
    2855BF55-7D3A-4C25-A682-37251A2A8514.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That's wonderful to hear about your long-standing involvement in gardening and how it has been a part of your life since you were young. It's always great to have those cherished memories of gardening with family. I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather's passing, but it's clear that his knowledge and passion for gardening have left a lasting impact on you.

It's fantastic that you're eager to share your gardening journey and help others along the way. Starting your tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants indoors in late January is a smart move, especially considering your Zone 7 location. Utilizing your birthday as a reminder is a creative way to stay on top of the planting schedule.
Including your daughter in the seed-starting process is a beautiful way to pass on the tradition and knowledge to the next generation. The brooder lamps with 1600 lumen bulbs for grow lights and your approach of keeping things simple is practical and effective. Not everyone has access to east or west-facing windows, so using an outdoor greenhouse or similar structures is a great alternative.

The photos you have from previous years, showcasing your onion planting, could be a valuable resource for others interested in the process. It's always helpful to have visual references and examples when learning something new.

Damping off can indeed be a challenge with seedlings, especially in their early stages. Using Captan as a treatment and incorporating a fan for air circulation are proactive steps to prevent mold and promote healthy growth.

I look forward to seeing more updates from your gardening journey. It's admirable that you're willing to share your experiences, knowledge, and even some good ole southern entertainment along the way. Happy gardening!

I let loose 1500 ladybugs on my pepper plants last night. This morning, they are crawling all over them gobbling white flies. Nom nom. Apparently, they don't fly at night, and they will hang out as long as there is food. When they eat, they lay new ladybug eggs. Hopefully this will solve my white fly problem.

1687009147907.png

Tomatoes and peppers are in the ground. Tomatoes are doing well, peppers got attacked by slugs. They killed 11 out of 24 plants. I have backups transplanted out of cells to solo cups but they were the weakest seedlings. Hoping to get them bigger so they can survive any browsing. Lots of scapes this week, I have about 120 garlic plants. Everything still small otherwise, it's been cool here this spring.

I harvested my first garlic in the 3rd June, a low dormancy hardneck called primor. All the others are still in the ground, possibly up for another month although most should be done in the next couple of weeks. Corn is doing much better than last year too
IMG_20230604_094800182_HDR-01.jpeg
IMG_20230616_174337641_HDR.jpg

Tomatoes and peppers are growing well, a couple even got frazzled by the heat, we had had temperatures and full sun well above normal here. Best summer for a while despite it only being June still.

IMG_20230617_122608607_HDR.jpg

And the early brassicas are almost ready, all Kohl rabi harvested, psb and cauliflower being harvested
IMG_20230616_174322236_HDR.jpg

We’re getting terrible results this year. Mostly haven’t had time to take care of the garden. Almost no peppers, few tomatoes. My wife is growing a couple fig trees that are in their second year and those are getting bigger and about the only thing looking good. The biggest one has 2 tiny figs we’re hoping will have time to grow fully.

Back