Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like "Funny things you've heard about Guinness" could be its own thread. BMC drinkers just can't wrap their heads around a pitch-black beer with a light body and the same amount of calories as a Budweiser.

I gave a brief dissertation on the Guinness, commercial ABV and the difference between lagers & Ales!

I think I equated it to soup. They both have broth, but stews have more stuff in it & Lagers are like a broth made from water and bullion cubes.

therefore Lagers are crisp & clean void of any "stuff", Ale can have lots of "stuff" and that stuff are usually hops!

I know I am not accurately correct, but I was explaining this to 2 lager drinkers in their late 60's. Neither is going to start drinking IPAs or my homebrew.
So giving them the basic idea, which they have probably forgotten seemed fine.

At a local-ish beer and burger place, an older (50/60ish) gentleman sat at the bar with his buddy and began trying samples from the 40 taps.

He settled on a Delirium Red after tasting it.

Server brings him a glass like picutred below. He says "I wouldn't have ordered it, if I knew I had to drink it out of this."

I almost fell over trying not to bust out laughing.

View attachment 1425339070254.jpg

At a some what local nano/micro brewery with over 60 beers on tap and 20 being there's my friend ask the bar tender what does nitro mean, bartenders says it makes the beer taste smoother because they BREW IT with nitrogen.

I had my 30th birthday party a couple of weeks ago, and my best friend drove 7 hours to surprise me. He's a borderline alcoholic, drinks only Bud Light. I've seen him put down a 20 pack in one sitting. The party is at local micro that opened in the fall. The server is giving him a list of beers, said the pilsner was the closest thing to BMC, so that's what my buddy orders. It was like 5% ABV, he drinks one, doesn't like it, and orders a BL next. So we end up drinking, playing beer pong, and talking all night until about 4 AM. I drank a bunch of craft beer, he drank BL all night. I wake up fine, and he's hungover and complaining that he's never drinking craft beer again. So I had to give him crap about the ONE craft beer he had, and how his hangover had nothing to do with the 15 BLs he had.

So later that day I was bottling beer, because I had planned to brew the next day, and needed the fermenter. We were talking and I told him that he should take up homebrewing. He said he didn't want a hobby that could kill him. So then I had to explain to him that homebrewing can't kill you, unless you have a gas leak or some other freak accident.

The sad thing is he's a licensed engineer, and one of the smartest people I know.

Well, it's like the poster above mom's wall phone-" Be sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear"! You're buddy didn't study, but only believed that line about moonshine.

So this isn't something I've overheard about beer, but I'm at a restaurant right now that has an American pale ale on nitro tap right now. I asked for a sample and I'm not sure if it was the nitro, or the person pouring, but the sample was 90% head. Have any of you heard of this? I always thought nitro was mostly for stouts and porters at the very lightest. Am I wrong to think that's totally weird?

It's uncommon, but I wouldn't say it's weird. Something along the lines of an English Bitter can be quite tasty on nitro, and it seems like Deschutes is really pushing to have their Red Chair pale (which, really, ain't that far off from a bitter anyway) served from stout taps, at least in my neck of the woods. On the other hand, I had the chance to try a local brewery's roasty, toasty stout side-by-side nitro vs. CO2, and the nitro smoothed out all the rough edges that make it an interesting beer.

Re the head... sounds like you got a crappy pour. :(

So this isn't something I've overheard about beer, but I'm at a restaurant right now that has an American pale ale on nitro tap right now. I asked for a sample and I'm not sure if it was the nitro, or the person pouring, but the sample was 90% head. Have any of you heard of this? I always thought nitro was mostly for stouts and porters at the very lightest. Am I wrong to think that's totally weird?

It's uncommon, but I wouldn't say it's weird. Something along the lines of an English Bitter can be quite tasty on nitro, and it seems like Deschutes is really pushing to have their Red Chair pale (which, really, ain't that far off from a bitter anyway) served from stout taps, at least in my neck of the woods. On the other hand, I had the chance to try a local brewery's roasty, toasty stout side-by-side nitro vs. CO2, and the nitro smoothed out all the rough edges that make it an interesting beer.

Re the head... sounds like you got a crappy pour. :(

+1 on what nitro does to a beer.
IMO the normal Left Hand Milk Stout is better than the Nitro version.

Odd that the nitro pour would be all head, some one may have messed up typing the menu and it was CO2 through a stout faucet. :confused:

I've seen several non-stout beers served on nitro. I think it's because it's creamier (and sounds different).

After visiting the Victory brewery and trying their Hop Devil on nitro, I rushed home and bought a nitro setup. I often put IPAs on that tap, they're amazing! I put ESBs, American Brown Ales, Porters, Rauchbiers, and of course Stouts on nitro and they all work well.

It sounds like they either overcarbed it, which is very easy to do on nitro, or you didn't wait for it to finish cascading. With a lighter colored beer it comes out looking like steamed milk and takes a few mins to cascade and stabilize. Well worth the wait IMO.

After visiting the Victory brewery and trying their Hop Devil on nitro, I rushed home and bought a nitro setup. I often put IPAs on that tap, they're amazing! I put ESBs, American Brown Ales, Porters, Rauchbiers, and of course Stouts on nitro and they all work well.

It sounds like they either overcarbed it, which is very easy to do on nitro, or you didn't wait for it to finish cascading. With a lighter colored beer it comes out looking like steamed milk and takes a few mins to cascade and stabilize. Well worth the wait IMO.

My bet was on this.

A neighborhood pub had the local Squatters Cream Ale on nitro for years. I almost always had at least one pint whenever I went there. It was so damned good! Sadly they replaced the cream ale with Polygamy Porter, which is also good on nitro, but damn, I miss the Nitro Cream Ale.

The Oso taproom used to have their scotch ale on Nitro. It was almost a religious experience...toffee milkshake cascading down into creamy goodness. Unfortunately, they have run out, and I have returned to reality.

I had a buddy tell me today he loves bud and when he feels like getting something special he gets old Milwaukee. I then told him of new Belgium brewing co. Has a craft american lager called steel reserve . His reply was no thanks, I might like it and I couldn't drink cheap anymore.

Well my sample was only 2 ounces. It was probably a really bad pour. It's cool to know there are more beers that are good on nitro. I also agree that the left hand milk is way better than the nitro.

I once ordered a hefeweizen in front of my non-beer-geek friends. They turned to me in amazement and said "HOW do you pronounce that?!".

Well, I thought it was funny.

I once ordered a hefeweizen in front of my non-beer-geek friends. They turned to me in amazement and said "HOW do you pronounce that?!".

Beer Geek Trolling 101: Make your server pronounce Weihenstephaner.

"Which hefeweizen do you have on tap?"
"Wisen-...
Westerstef-...
Wistopher...it's a German one."

Me-"they dry hoped the hell outta this beer. You can smell it from 10ft away."

*Friends all start giggling like little girls*

Friend-"Aren't we a lil old for dry hopping? Either ur getting some or not."

I don't know how I never used dry hopping with a sexual tone haha

I remember a few years back we were having dinner and my FIL ordered a "hef-a-wise-in"
Lost a bit of respect for him that day...

I remember a few years back we were having dinner and my FIL ordered a "hef-a-wise-in"

I don't typically order in Spanish at Mexican restaurants for that reason, don't want to make a fool of myself. We were on a road trip & stopped at a restaurant in Spokane one day. The waiter initially did not have much time for us. After the meal I asked where the cook was from, in Spanish. His attitude did a 180 and we talked at some length.

Because he didn't pronounce it "hef-feh-vise-en"?

Sure, his pronunciation wasn't accurate German, but why would that matter? We're not in Germany. His pronunciation seems good enough for American English to me.

Because he didn't pronounce it "hef-feh-vise-en"?

Sure, his pronunciation wasn't accurate German, but why would that matter? We're not in Germany. His pronunciation seems good enough for American English to me.

Hoegaarden has two pronunciations. Dutch and American, both are acceptable to the producers of the beer. Americans just pronounce it with an accent.

I use to pronounce Smithwick's "correctly" but after several times asking for it at different establishments and getting a blank stare and a "Huh?" I went back to how it's written. Then I get made fun of by friends. I had the same reaction once when ordering Hoegaarden with the Dutch pronunciation. Oh well, I'll still be drinking good beer.

I like to try random beers from the grocery as "research." I picked up a sixer of Karbach Barn Burner Saison and poured a glass this evening. SWMBO will try a bit of most anything so I let her have the first sip.

SWMBO: "Ooh that's hoppy!" (She does not like hoppy)
Me: "No, its . . ."
SWMBO: "It's bitter?" (She does not like bitter)
Me: "No, this is a Saison. That flavor is from peppery phenols" (Or Lemon Peels with Coriander)
SWMBO: "Oh, your right, this is good."

I find it amazing that her impression of the beverage changes once the flavor/aroma has been described.

Hm...it doesn't know the word kottbusser? Not sure how to actually pronounce it? Interesting that it gives two audio pronunciations too!:mug:

I like to try random beers from the grocery as "research." I picked up a sixer of Karbach Barn Burner Saison and poured a glass this evening. SWMBO will try a bit of most anything so I let her have the first sip.

SWMBO: "Ooh that's hoppy!" (She does not like hoppy)

Me: "No, its . . ."

SWMBO: "It's bitter?" (She does not like bitter)

Me: "No, this is a Saison. That flavor is from peppery phenols" (Or Lemon Peels with Coriander)

SWMBO: "Oh, your right, this is good."

I find it amazing that her impression of the beverage changes once the flavor/aroma has been described.

That's everyone. Like when you smell broccoli cooking before someone tells you it's broccoli.

Or it's good if it's supposed to taste like that, like stinky cheese.

It was a joke.

Ah ha. I was trying to figure out if there were any ways to pronounce it other that "hef-eh-wise-in" or "hef-feh-vise-en" so I got a little confused over what the issue with his pronunciation was.

Jokes on the internet sometimes aren't clear as jokes without the tone of voice and overall delivery.

Back