Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As seen on the Clocktower Brewpub's website, a popular brew pub in Ottawa. They've been around for a long time and were one of Ottawa's original brew pubs. Their beers are fairly well regarded locally, I'm surprised to see such flagrant misinformation on their website. Even setting aside the fact that the "hops enabled the beer to survive the voyage from England to India" myth that's been debunked in Mitch Steele's "IPA" book, how did the "more hops = more alcohol" nonsense make it past the editor?

Clocktower.jpg

As seen on the Clocktower Brewpub's website, a popular brew pub in Ottawa. They've been around for a long time and were one of Ottawa's original brew pubs. Their beers are fairly well regarded locally, I'm surprised to see such flagrant misinformation on their website. Even setting aside the fact that the "hops enabled the beer to survive the voyage from England to India" myth that's been debunked in Mitch Steele's "IPA" book, how did the "more hops = more alcohol" nonsense make it past the editor?

I am also interested in the comment about it being rare that IPA's can be light in color....

pliny.JPG

let's also mock their use of a possessive apostrophe for the plural of IPA

that's on topic, right?

or is that the Epic Picture/Meme thread. I get confused

And then there's the use of flavorful in one sentence, and flavour in the next.

And that they consider 5.8% to be high in alcohol?

Other than that when they're describing their ipa, keep in mind they're talking about the supposed traditional/original style, not the version of the style we have today.

Although to be honest it sounds like they were just wanting to be cheap on the ingredients. Add a little more caramel malt than normal, drop any simple sugar additions, throw in only bittering hops, not much going into late additions, no dry hopping, boom! Traditional English ipa!

let's also mock their use of a possessive apostrophe for the plural of IPA

that's on topic, right?

or is that the Epic Picture/Meme thread. I get confused

Absolutely, someone's incorrect use of apostrophe's i's alway's fair game for a good mocking!

What if they are just trolling?!? [emoji79]

Nahhh, they're Canadians. [emoji16]

Dunno what hops you are using but the Pacific Gem I just tossed into my saison was 15.5% abv!!!!!!!!
It'll make it around the world

In-law's have been at our house for a week and a half (and I'm still sort of sane). Last night, we get to talking about breakfast stouts, and how they are occasionally imbibed on a weekend morning. I made the comment that, so long as you don't dip into some imperial bourbon barrel high ABV stout too early in the morning, that they won't knock you out for the day. MIL says: "I got your FIL one a little while back that he really liked, it was Imperial chocolate vanilla stout." She emphasized the "Imperial" part, so I innocently inquired: "Nice. What brand?" Her response: "Imperial." Brief silence, and I just stated: "Oh, cool...." They're leaving tomorrow, so I just moved on and sipped my scotch.

Another one about from the in-laws. They are permanent RV'rs since about 8 years ago, and probably for the next 5 at least. Took FIL to the LBHS the other day to get some extra hops to dry hop with, along with a new hydrometer (which I broke shortly after using it ONCE...another story...). The whole drive down to the LBHS and back he was very inquisitive about the whole process, and he's known I've homebrewed for a few years. He is very interested in brewing from the RV. They only stay in one spot for 3 weeks, then move on to the next destination. I answered all his questions, and he thinks he might be able to brew as soon as he lands in one spot, with enough time to get into plastic PET bottles before having to depart for the next. Stepping back in the conversation just a bit, at one point, he commented: "Ya know what, I don't think I'll bottle at all. I think I'll just use the bucket and spigot and be done with it" Explained to him that while fermented beer is "ready" after 2-3 weeks --- you either have to carb it up in bottles, or purchase a kegging set up (which is out of the question with their space constraints). He kind of had a brief light-bulb moment, and we moved on. (Not as bad as my aunt making a comment, assuming you could drink the beer within hours after brewing...).

Another one about from the in-laws. They are permanent RV'rs since about 8 years ago, and probably for the next 5 at least. Took FIL to the LBHS the other day to get some extra hops to dry hop with, along with a new hydrometer (which I broke shortly after using it ONCE...another story...). The whole drive down to the LBHS and back he was very inquisitive about the whole process, and he's known I've homebrewed for a few years. He is very interested in brewing from the RV. They only stay in one spot for 3 weeks, then move on to the next destination. I answered all his questions, and he thinks he might be able to brew as soon as he lands in one spot, with enough time to get into plastic PET bottles before having to depart for the next. Stepping back in the conversation just a bit, at one point, he commented: "Ya know what, I don't think I'll bottle at all. I think I'll just use the bucket and spigot and be done with it" Explained to him that while fermented beer is "ready" after 2-3 weeks --- you either have to carb it up in bottles, or purchase a kegging set up (which is out of the question with their space constraints). He kind of had a brief light-bulb moment, and we moved on. (Not as bad as my aunt making a comment, assuming you could drink the beer within hours after brewing...).
Does he like english cask ale carbonation levels?

At family Christmas, I was drinking some craft beer (Lake of Bays Crosswind Pale A) I had got, and I was talking with a few of my cousins about what craft beers we liked. My uncle is a pretty committed BMC drinker, so much so that he'll drink Bud all day but won't take a free Labatt's cus it's not a Bud. Anyway, he joins in and I was kind of expecting something along the lines of this thead. Instead he says, "You know, I've tried a lot of those craft beers, but most of them tend to be pretty hoppy and I'm not a fan of that hoppy taste", which I kind of had to give him that one, most craft IS a lot hoppier than macro-lager.

Fast forward to last weekend, we're at his house for a visit and I had brought some of my Irish Red that had turned out slightly sweet and pretty thin and light (Only my 2nd ever brew). My uncle gave it a try and drank one, but after he said "Not bad... a bit much of that hoppy taste though..." which it had pretty much no hop flavour or even bitterness at all, so now I have no idea what he means by hoppy. Probably just "flavour" :D

At family Christmas, I was drinking some craft beer (Lake of Bays Crosswind Pale A) I had got, and I was talking with a few of my cousins about what craft beers we liked. My uncle is a pretty committed BMC drinker, so much so that he'll drink Bud all day but won't take a free Labatt's cus it's not a Bud. Anyway, he joins in and I was kind of expecting something along the lines of this thead. Instead he says, "You know, I've tried a lot of those craft beers, but most of them tend to be pretty hoppy and I'm not a fan of that hoppy taste", which I kind of had to give him that one, most craft IS a lot hoppier than macro-lager.

Fast forward to last weekend, we're at his house for a visit and I had brought some of my Irish Red that had turned out slightly sweet and pretty thin and light (Only my 2nd ever brew). My uncle gave it a try and drank one, but after he said "Not bad... a bit much of that hoppy taste though..." which it had pretty much no hop flavour or even bitterness at all, so now I have no idea what he means by hoppy. Probably just "flavour" :D

When he says "hoppy" he probably means "malty"

At a restaurant over the weekend, the waitress described Sweetwater 420 as a double lager.

Does he like english cask ale carbonation levels?

Haha, I would venture to say "no," but the thought also crossed my mind. It was clear that in his mind, he thought it would just flow out like a fully carbed keg pull, straight from the fermenter. Man, wouldn't that be awesome, though! :tank:

It sounds like your ready for them to hit the road!

Why, what gave you that impression??? :ban: (PS - since my earlier post - turns out their RV won't be ready (it's been in the shop getting some maintenance and a repair done), until late Friday. Looks like we will keep them around until Saturday. They're actually not toooo bad.

Only if your picky! I bet if you drink enough of it, slightly carbed warm beer would eventually taste good!:mug:

Lol! Like, 2 gallons at a time? Perhaps. He would actually have a small fridge big enough for a 3 gal bucket, so he could at least chill it. Had a Rahr and Son's stout with cocoa nibs from a cask at a local tap house the other day. Barely carbed and slightly cooler than room temp was a perfect description. Delicious, too. This might be the way for him to go. :tank:

Haha, I would venture to say "no," but the thought also crossed my mind. It was clear that in his mind, he thought it would just flow out like a fully carbed keg pull, straight from the fermenter. Man, wouldn't that be awesome, though! :tank:

Why, what gave you that impression??? :ban: (PS - since my earlier post - turns out their RV won't be ready (it's been in the shop getting some maintenance and a repair done), until late Friday. Looks like we will keep them around until Saturday. They're actually not toooo bad.

Lol! Like, 2 gallons at a time? Perhaps. He would actually have a small fridge big enough for a 3 gal bucket, so he could at least chill it. Had a Rahr and Son's stout with cocoa nibs from a cask at a local tap house the other day. Barely carbed and slightly cooler than room temp was a perfect description. Delicious, too. This might be the way for him to go. :tank:

In that case, I don't see any problem with him wanting to do this. But he'll need to be able to pay close attention to the fermentation. Once it gets low enough to carb up to the proper levels (only a couple points left to reaching FG), just put a cap on it to seal in the co2. put it in the fridge, and boom, now he's got a "keg" from which to pour his beer.

Shıtter full?

Reminds me of college: 1 six-pack of decent beer, and then a case of $2.99 Rhinelander bottles or whatever. After the six-pack, who cared what the rest tasted like? :)

My freshman year, "decent beer" = coors light. "Cheap(er)/crap beer = keystone slight or PBR. Because coors light was so much better quality. [emoji90]

When he says "hoppy" he probably means "malty"

No, here's what he means. From earlier in this thread:
One of SWMBOs friends was over and tries a sip of a hefe I offered her. She goes "its good, but very hoppy" I ask to smell the glass to make sure I didnt pour her a pint of my 26oz imperial IPA. Nope, its the hefe. I asked her what kind of hop flavors she was picking up. She responds "flavors? I dunno, its all hopping around in my mouth, I mean I like it, but its just very hoppy" SWBMO was embarrassed for her

I dont know how on Earth you can go through life thinking carbonation=hops, I shouldve asked her what pepsi tastes like...

Back