Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went once to pick up a load of bomber bottles someone had advertised on Craigslist specifically for homebrewers (he wanted a quarter each). It turned out they had never been rinsed, and each one had a clot of dried beer in the bottom, many with fuzzy mold growing on them. He actually tried to convince me that leaving the dregs of the beer would "add flavor." Which I guess is technically true....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Gotta ask, did you go for it?

I went once to pick up a load of bomber bottles someone had advertised on Craigslist specifically for homebrewers (he wanted a quarter each). It turned out they had never been rinsed, and each one had a clot of dried beer in the bottom, many with fuzzy mold growing on them. He actually tried to convince me that leaving the dregs of the beer would "add flavor." Which I guess is technically true....

A bathtub full of Oxyclean is a beautiful thing.

Oh, and a good bottle brush, and a strong stomach.

...And a drain that doesn't have a built-in strainer helps.

Add a few quartered onions, some pepper, and a few pats of butter and you've got it. Transfer brats between the grill and the boiling pot several times until done, and serve from the pot. The onions make a delicious topper. Greatest tailgating food ever.

You're right about beer and brats cooking method, but I have to disagree about the best tailgate food. Brats are top 3, but best? Buffalo chicken wings!!

It was one of those moments reported on this thread so frequently. A beer novice tries my American Brown. Says it reminds him of an IPA. I asked if he likes IPAs, and he says he does, and that he likes my beer. Great, I say, you'll probably like the American Amber too.

The "funny" part is that I just smiled and thanked him for the compliment. Working on turning my out loud beer snob into an inside my head only beer snob.

Add a few quartered onions, some pepper, and a few pats of butter and you've got it. Transfer brats between the grill and the boiling pot several times until done, and serve from the pot. The onions make a delicious topper. Greatest tailgating food ever.

I love me some beer brats, but they're much better served straight off the grill. Putting them back in the beer bath before serving ruins the crispy outside.

I love me some beer brats, but they're much better served straight off the grill. Putting them back in the beer bath before serving ruins the crispy outside.

Agreed. But if you're going to cook enough for people to have seconds and thirds and then sit down to enjoy yours, dropping them back in the beer beats heck out of letting them get cold.

We frequent world of beer, where they have over 30 taps that rotate daily, and a bottled beer menu that comes in book form. On our last visit, this group of early twenty something's walk in and ask if they have a beer menu. Our server hands them a draft menu, as well as the bottle book, to which they looked at like a deer in headlights. After about 10 minutes of them fumbling through different styles, and some interesting mispronunciations, the server comes back and asks if they have decided on anything. To which the one guy replied " we will just have 3 miller lites, we have been drinking craft beer all day long, and are kinda burned out on it. " :pipe:

Miller and the like are not listed on any of their menus

I have no idea why I thought this was funny, but I did

I want this, I just don't want frozen beer, in a plastic cup, but it's cool!

1404677719706.jpg

Northern Brewer just posted this on Facebook: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/254406714/bru-v-protection?play=video_pitch&ref=spotlight

Who drinks a beer so slowly that it can skunk before you finish a pint?! And who wants to always drink out of a shaker pint glass? :D
I don't have any personal experience on the subject; when I'm outdoors I'm drinking in the shade and/or drinking out of a can.

But I saw a video a few months ago where a couple of guys set a glass of beer in direct sunlight. Supposedly it only took a few minutes for it to get noticeably skunky....

I don't have any personal experience on the subject; when I'm outdoors I'm drinking in the shade and/or drinking out of a can.

But I saw a video a few months ago where a couple of guys set a glass of beer in direct sunlight. Supposedly it only took a few minutes for it to get noticeably skunky....

That is my experience. It only takes a few minutes in the direct sun to ruin a beer.

I've taken to filling a brown glass bottle from the keg when I'm going to drink it outside in the sun

That is my experience. It only takes a few minutes in the direct sun to ruin a beer.

I've taken to filling a brown glass bottle from the keg when I'm going to drink it outside in the sun

With lighter (in color) beers it can get skunked in literally 30 seconds if it's in direct sunlight.

Like the man said, who drinks beer that slowly . . . ;) :D

Northern Brewer just posted this on Facebook: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/254406714/bru-v-protection?play=video_pitch&ref=spotlight

Who drinks a beer so slowly that it can skunk before you finish a pint?! And who wants to always drink out of a shaker pint glass? :D

One of their slogans is "**** the table, save your beer."

Stay classy there guys.

I'm hardly a prude when it comes to foul language, but there's something really unprofessional about that. Oh, and the idea is stupid too.

One of their slogans is "**** the table, save your beer."

Stay classy there guys.

I'm hardly a prude when it comes to foul language, but there's something really unprofessional about that. Oh, and the idea is stupid too.

I'm not understanding that slogan. Why do you need to fuk the table to save the beer? doesn't make any sense to me....

Also you know what else will block UV rays getting into your beer when drinking outside? A freakin Solo Cup, which is what most people use when serving beer outside from a keg at a party.

Also LOL @ them blowing glass like they are going to create each glass themselves. Most likely its gonna be some little kid in China that is making the glasses.

I'm not understanding that slogan. Why do you need to fuk the table to save the beer? doesn't make any sense to me....

Yes, this is a good example of a false dilemma.

What scares me more than the stupid idea is that there are people actually BUYING it. Bizarre.

What about the top of the glass? You know...where it is open so you can drink the beer.

Agree, LOL at the hand blowing. The glass is going to be 1/8" thick? Yeah that will take some abuse. :drunk:

That's the only part of it that made some sense (although not clearly conveyed.) They are saying to use the coaster to set on top of the class to protect the light from coming in the top and let the table get a moisture ring on it. However, having seen the condition of most coasters that are not brand new, I'd rather have an infected, skunked beer than put a coaster on the glass!

and this cartoon that I just saw about sums up my entire belief in crowd sourcing projects (yes, I know there are exceptions ...)
10414530_10154391677280078_5097037910266049040_n.jpg

That's the only part of it that made some sense (although not clearly conveyed.) They are saying to use the coaster to set on top of the class to protect the light from coming in the top and let the table get a moisture ring on it. However, having seen the condition of most coasters that are not brand new, I'd rather have an infected, skunked beer than put a coaster on the glass!

and this cartoon that I just saw about sums up my entire belief in crowd sourcing projects (yes, I know there are exceptions ...)

I already do put a coaster on top of my beer glass to keep gnats and bugs out anyways. But I just use cheap paper/cardboard ones collected from breweries. Who knew I was keeping my beer from skunking. :p

Check this out:

Potato salad Kickstarter campaign nets over $21Gs

For fun, Zack Brown thought he'd try to raise $10 on Kickstarter to make a potato salad.

In just a few short days, the Columbus, Ohio, man raised more than $21,000.

Brown's original offer of saying donors names aloud while making the salad — for a mere $1 donation — has now been upgraded to the idea of renting a hall and hosting a potato salad party, to be live-streamed for all his donors.

But with the attention the bizarre campaign is unexpectedly getting, Brown posted on the Kickstarter page: "I honestly don't know what is realistic anymore."

The campaign still has 25 days to go.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/07/potato-salad-kickstarter-campaign-nets-over-21gs

...and this cartoon that I just saw about sums up my entire belief in crowd sourcing projects (yes, I know there are exceptions ...)

That is always something that bothered me about Kickstarter - what happens when the project the reaches its funding goal and takes all the cash in eventually fails and does not deliver on the promised products? I have a feeling it must be in there somewhere that the backer takes on the risk that they will get nothing if it all goes belly up - but I wouldn't want to be that guy $10k in and waiting for my promised brewday in a new brewpub which never happens

Check this out:

21K a dollar at a time. WC Fields was right!

That is always something that bothered me about Kickstarter - what happens when the project the reaches its funding goal and takes all the cash in eventually fails and does not deliver on the promised products? I have a feeling it must be in there somewhere that the backer takes on the risk that they will get nothing if it all goes belly up - but I wouldn't want to be that guy $10k in and waiting for my promised brewday in a new brewpub which never happens

And that's why I won't be that guy who's 10K in! ;)

That's the risk an investor in any start-up takes.

What the fuK!!!!!!! is this serious?

Its up to 38.9k

WTF is wrong with people.

brb going to make a kickstarter for Macaroni salad.

It's a satire kickstarter post. I think most people are pledging small amounts just for $#!ts and giggles. I thought it was f***ing hilarious myself, though not enough to throw my own hard earned money at. I imagine a lot of these jokesters might withdraw their pledges before the deadline hits, so the final amount will probably be substantially less.

I find it funny that me and my brother have been trying to come up with viable business plans for years, but this @$$#013 puts up a potato salad and rakes in $20k.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It's a satire kickstarter post. I think most people are pledging small amounts just for $#!ts and giggles. I thought it was f***ing hilarious myself, though not enough to throw my own hard earned money at. I imagine a lot of these jokesters might withdraw their pledges before the deadline hits, so the final amount will probably be substantially less.

I find it funny that me and my brother have been trying to come up with viable business plans for years, but this @$$#013 puts up a potato salad and rakes in $20k.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Do you remember the guy that was threatening to kill a bunny unless he got something like 25k? It was long before Kickstarter or any other crowdfunding platform.

That's the risk an investor in any start-up takes.

I guess that was my point, except I don't think I have ever seen a Kickstarter that has plainly said "hey if I don't get my **** together you ain't going to get anything... and I don't care"
wonder if most people that pledge around the hundreds of dollars mark where the reqard is dependant on the project succeeding realise that they don't get their money back if it goes belly up.

I think it was PT Barnum who is credited for saying "There's a sucker born every minute".

And in this case oh so very true.

How is it a sucker deal? The only return he promised on their investment was that he'd say their name aloud while he was making the potato salad. No one was misled, or bamboozled into thinking they were going to get rich if they gave him a dollar...

Back