Fuggle Side Shoots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73runner400

Reaction score
My 2nd year Fuggles from GLH haven't grown that tall and the bines are starting to grow side arms/shoots. They don't look like the kind that hops grow from. Why is it doing this? Is it normal? I water every other day and give it nitrogen.

I think fuggles are a picky variety. My fuggle was small only reaching 8 ft. with skinny bines the first 3 years. It finaly produced a few cones last year (year 3). This year it topped my 17 ft. line and already has a ton of spurs forming.

My 2nd year Fuggles from GLH haven't grown that tall and the bines are starting to grow side arms/shoots. They don't look like the kind that hops grow from.[...]

What other kinds of side-shoots are there?

fwiw, I grow Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Fuggles, and of the four strains, the Fuggles is the weak sister - by quite a bit. While the others flourish with prolific green growth and hop payload (third year average of ~1.5 pounds of dried cones per plant) I've been lucky to get a half pound out of each of the Fuggles. It may be they're not in the best bed wrt sunlight exposure but otoh they're right next to the Centennials that go crazy every year...

Cheers!

What other kinds of side-shoots are there?

fwiw, I grow Chinook, Cascade, Centennial and Fuggles, and of the four strains, the Fuggles is the weak sister - by quite a bit. While the others flourish with prolific green growth and hop payload (third year average of ~1.5 pounds of dried cones per plant) I've been lucky to get a half pound out of each of the Fuggles. It may be they're not in the best bed wrt sunlight exposure but otoh they're right next to the Centennials that go crazy every year...

Cheers!

It's growing another bine out of the original bines. The original haven't been damaged either.

Back