Fruity Pale Ale/IPA feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempestam83

Reaction score
Brewing this up BIAB style this weekend. Any thoughts? Looking to get a bight fruity pale ale along the lines of Trillium Fort Point Ale.

Boil vol: 6 gal
Batch size: 3.5 gal
IBU: 31
OG: 1.063

4 lb American - Pale 2-Row 45.3%
4 lb American - Vienna 45.3%
6 oz Flaked Barley 4.2%
7 oz Light wheat 5.2%

8.8 lb total

Hops (Pellets)
.6 oz Galaxy Boil 1 min
.6 oz Mosaic Boil 1 min
.6 oz Nelson Sauvin Boil 1 min
.6 oz Galaxy Whirlpool at 170 °F 30 min
.6 oz Mosaic Whirlpool at 170 °F 30 min
.6 oz Nelson Sauvin Whirlpool at 170 °F 30 min
.8 oz Galaxy Dry Hop 3 days
.8 oz Mosaic Dry Hop 3 days
.8 oz Nelson Sauvin Dry Hop 3 days

Yeast
Safale US 05

I disagree with flaked barley and wheat, personally I'd go with one of the other.

While I'm not familiar with Trillium, I don't think you can go wrong with that hop combination.

Why the 1 min addition? Why not throw it all in at FO?

What are you hoping to achieve using both wheat and flaked barley? Why not just wheat with the same total amount (13 oz)?

Did you miss the 60 min bittering addition, or did you purposely eliminate that from your brew? I don't believe that you'll hit 30 IBU with just the 1 min addition.

I'm thinking 1 min. will boost IBUs a little more since I'm not adding any bittering. Probably overthinking that though.

What are you hoping to achieve using both wheat and flaked barley? Why not just wheat with the same total amount (13 oz)?

Did you miss the 60 min bittering addition, or did you purposely eliminate that from your brew? I don't believe that you'll hit 30 IBU with just the 1 min addition.

Not doing any bittering.

I'm just experimenting with what I have on hand. Never used flaked barley before so I thought I'd give it a try.

Without any bittering hops, I think the beer will turn out fairly sweet and unbalanced. Maybe shoot for 15-20 IBU of something clean at 60 minutes or FWH. You'll get some bitterness from the 1 min addition, but not a whole lot.

I'm thinking 1 min. will boost IBUs a little more since I'm not adding any bittering. Probably overthinking that though.

I have a pale ale with my first addition @ 15. As long as you compensate for IBU's by adding that much more in the backend you'll get it.

If you're dead set on doing all your hops @ flameout, just make sure you do it long enough and hot enough that you get some isomerization. I believe House of Pendragon has an IPA that they just throw a ton of hops in @ whirlpool with no other bittering going on, but at that scale, everything stays so hot for so long that you still hit IBU's.

Without any bittering hops, I think the beer will turn out fairly sweet and unbalanced. Maybe shoot for 15-20 IBU of something clean at 60 minutes or FWH. You'll get some bitterness from the 1 min addition, but not a whole lot.

IMO only, I would agree with this. I'd replace the wheat with Munich. And, I'd do a 5 or 10 minute addition with all three hops and balanced to achieve target IBUs (which I might suggest bumping up to 40 or 45). Sounds tasty!

El Dorado hops produce a very fruity flavor. If that's what you're going for, perhaps replace the Nelson Sauvin additions with El Dorado?

Latest posts

Back