Frozen Lacto yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burloch

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question. I'm all set to try my 3rd ever brew. I'm making a Gose. I have the liquid Lactobacillus Omega Yeast (OYL-605) which I heard good things about. It's been stored in my refrigerator.. when I went to check on it just now, it's pretty much frozen solid. Will that compromise it's ability to sour? Should I toss it and just order another? Thanks!

There doesn't seem to be a great answer out there, but it seems that Lactobacillus plantarum, the bacterium you're really looking for in that blend, should be able to come back after freezing.

If I were you, I'd make a starter with it first. Check out the process at Lactobacillus - I think it's there somewhere.

If I was doing a gose, I would use acidulated malt instead of a souring bacteria. It may not have the same complexity of flavor, but it is way easier and you have control over the tartness. Good luck :mug:

Why did it freeze in your fridge? Fridges are not supposed to freeze up...

I store lots of yeast in my side by side kitchen fridge, and I'm making sure the temp won't drop below 32F. 34F is the lowest it will go down to. The jars of yeast are also stored together in boxes, to reduce temp fluctuations.

As @brownni5 said, it should be OK. Lacto is pretty hardy.
Enjoy your Gose!

Why did it freeze in your fridge? Fridges are not supposed to freeze up...

I store lots of yeast in my side by side kitchen fridge, and I'm making sure the temp won't drop below 32F. 34F is the lowest it will go down to. The jars of yeast are also stored together in boxes, to reduce temp fluctuations.

As @brownni5 said, it should be OK. Lacto is pretty hardy.
Enjoy your Gose!

Fridge was a bit too low, that's why it ended up freezing. I turned it down, and the lacto is back to liquid. I'm debating if I should take the chance and use it, or just buy a new lacto packet. I appreciate the responses guys

^ Will do. I'm clueless but I'm sure I can figure it out lol. Thanks!

Back