Frozen Beer...*New Screw Up* :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
So i was chilling my beer to clear and apparently got a bit aggressive with my temps. froze the beer to a slushy consistency. I'm warming it up a bit now to thaw. will this hurt the beer in any way? Will the everything mix back up happily again? Do I need to do anything to facilitate that?

Thanks!

:(

i've done that a couple of times and i can never get over the fact that it was frozen so i always think it tastes weird yet other people seem to think it's fine so it probably is.

i mean it wasn't carbonated so i'm not worried about it going flat...but i'm assuming i lost all the co2 that was in solution so i'll need more priming sugar, or is my yeast possibly dead and should i reyeast?

If it was done, just bottle as usual, and maybe add a bit of yeast to help carbonate if you're bottling. I wouldn't add any more sugar other than priming.

I wouldn't stir it, just transfer to bottling bucket with a pinch of new yeast and bottle as normal, if you were just about to do this before freezing.

I put in a 5g pack of EC1118 lalvin for a 5 gallon batch...so probably a bit to much, but it worked...

Back